Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2009 10:35:05 AM EDT
I've had one for a while now with no issues, though I'm not a fan of  light J frame size revolvers this one has been awesome and very accurate. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with there's.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/GTO_2008/DCP_0002-2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one, but I heard they have problems.  Namely, the gas that escapes between the cylinder and forcing cone CUTS INTO the polymer top strap after just a couple hundred rounds.  

Take a look at yours and see if it's doing that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of hundred rounds through mine, and absolutely no problems.

I have shot much more standard pressure and wad-cutters than I have +p, but I have shot at least a box of +p.

Its doing just fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems here, have over 400 through mine.
Ryan
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want one, but I heard they have problems.  Namely, the gas that escapes between the cylinder and forcing cone CUTS INTO the polymer top strap after just a couple hundred rounds.  

Take a look at yours and see if it's doing that.

I am considering one of these to go along with my S&W 649 and LCP, however the LCRs that I have looked at have a aluminum top strap, not plastic.  This would be just like a S&W 442 correct?  You may want to consider your info source.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
This is good to hear cause I am looking hard at the lcr
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am considering one of these to go along with my S&W 649 and LCP, however the LCRs that I have looked at have a aluminum top strap, not plastic.  This would be just like a S&W 442 correct?  You may want to consider your info source.

I may have been mistaken about the material, but here is my source.  Watch.

ETA: I'm not picking on the gun.  I really, really want one, but this makes me wonder how it will hold up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow thanks for that post! I wonder if he ran a lot of light +P through it. Maybe Ruger should have put a small steel plate up there like scandium smiths. They say they ran 10.000 rounds through a test gun but all manufacture say stuff like that. I know of a range rental in the area and I'll go take a look at that one to see.

For now, I better stick with 158gr HP's.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
That video was not very clear nor well focused . The silver deposits that are on the front side of the cylinder and top strap can also just be splattered lead and the top strap looked as if it had a lead build-up of a ridge rather than a cut.

A high resolution photo could convince me differently.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Been through a few hundred rounds and it runs like a top. Not sure if it's the slightly larger grip, but I'm shooting it a little better than my scandium J-frame.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You people aren't helping......I REALLY do not need to buy one right now.........
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Only 1 problem with mine...

I don't get to shoot it as often as I'd like to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I really, really like my LCR.  It seems very sturdy in spite of it's light weight.  One of my better purchases.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've put about 150 rounds through mine with absolutely no problems.  Very comfortable for such a small revolver.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Man I love this gun.  I'm considering one of these as a graduation present in december.  Im a little shaken by that video anybody else experiencing the same sort of problem or was his just a lemon?
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man I love this gun.  I'm considering one of these as a graduation present in december.  Im a little shaken by that video anybody else experiencing the same sort of problem or was his just a lemon?

I looked at a range rental the other day, it hasn't been out there too long but no cutting yet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at a range rental the other day, it hasn't been out there too long but no cutting yet.

I think it affects a very small number of revolvers but I have seen someone mention the same problem on another forum. I am not confident that hard coated aluminum is going to be able to stand up to thousands of rounds and repeated cleanings.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would Rugers aluminum be any different from S&W's?  I've seen barrels fall of of Smiths.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've done a lot of looking into the LCR, and from what I've seen so far there have only been maybe 3 or so confirmed cases of excessive flame cutting on the top strap (actually looks more like melting), the link posted above being one of them.  Ruger has not done a recall (yet) on the LCRs, so I suspect this is a very rare issue, one that normally manifests within the first 500 rounds fired.  Some have theorized that it isn't the aluminum top strap that is inherently weak (why would some melt in under 500 rounds but others go for 10,000 without significant damage?), but that the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone on these few guns was completely out of spec, allowing excessive amounts of flame and gas to be directed at the top strap.  In these reported cases, all were using factory ammo, or so they say.  One person sent their LCR back to the gun shop and got a full refund, while the other two sent their LCRs back to Ruger, and Ruger replaced them and upgraded their grips to the Crimson Trace models.  Given the rarity of these incidents, and given Ruger's commitment to customer satisfaction, I am going to buy one...as soon as I can scrape up the cash, that is!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Aynone have problems yet with the finish scratching  off the aluminum frames ? Are they tougher than the finish on a tyhpical AR receiver ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top