Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 12:36:57 PM EDT
Hi people.
Winter and fall are coming soon and that means we can all start carrying the larger guns we never get to during the warmer months. Haven't really broke out the wheel guns lately but would like to since I will be wearing a cover garment and because they are so friggin cool. I'm looking for recommendations for vertical leather shoulder holsters, preferably one that can be used for my 4 inch Colt Python and a 6 inch SW model 29. I would prefer not to have to re-mortgage the house and if it has pouches for speed loaders, that is a bonus but not absolutely necessary. Also looking for opinions on speed loaders vs. speed strips since I have no experience with that either. Thanks, Guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Bianchi x15.
130 Opicsplanet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bianchi X15 is still good, even though they've added extra retention straps to hold the gun in place that really aren't needed.

A really great holster is now made by Nevada Holsters.
This is a close copy of the old Hardy-Cooper holster that Jeff Cooper had a hand in designing.
What makes this one one of the very best vertical shoulder holsters is the way the toe of the holster is held by the belt.
Unlike most holsters that have a strap on the back that snaps under the belt, this one has a slot in the bottom toe of the holster that holds the holster much flatter against the side.

Since the holster is held firmly flat, this allows not having the leather harness covering part of the gun butt.
To work right any combat holster of any type reeds to be clear around the butt so you can get a full shooting grip on the butt BEFORE even starting the gun out.
Done properly you can grip the gun, draw it and never have to shift your grip at all.

Many holsters, especially vertical shoulder holsters have leather covering part of the butt.  This requires getting a partial grip with a couple of fingers, starting the gun out, then having to juggle the gun in mid air to shift your hand to a shooting grip.
That causes slow draws, fumbled draws, and even dropped guns.
The Nevada Holster take on the Hardy-Cooper design leaves the entire butt clear, but due to the toe mount to the belt the holster lays flat on the side of your chest and the butt doesn't stick out like a sorer thumb.

The original Hard-Cooper:

Nevada Holsters near-copy:
http://www.nevadagunleather.com/Springclip-Shoulder-Holster-156.htm

Another very good one is the original "Dirty Harry".
Unfortunately, the reputation of the makers really stinks badly.
They claim the "bad guy" was Lawman Leather, and that they aren't connected, but I'd do some serious research with the gun forums and the Better Business Bureau before risking a dime:

Current ??? maker:
http://wildgunsleather.com/

"BAD guy" maker:
http://www.lawmanleathergoods.com/

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
4 and 6 inch will need different holsters.

Check out A.E. Nelson Leather.   I always liked the Lawrence #7 but they are out of business.   A.E. Nelson has the Untouchables model that is very close.   Andrews Custom Leather also makes a great spring holster.

I carry one HKS speedloader and two speed strips.   Practice is necessary.

Reloading a revolver is a bit slow even with a speedloader.    Be accurate and get it done with a cylinderfull.

For the Python, I would go with the 158 gr Hydra-Shok.   For the M29, Speer has a 200 gr Short Barrel HP load.    Probably about 1200 fps from a 6 inch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The Bianchi X15 works fine, and is usually available on eBay for a song. Galco's VHS works well for my 6" Model 28 as well as the 6" Webley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top