Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 9:05:28 PM EDT
Usually use a snap cap but can you dry fire a current gen USP pistol? Read some post awhile back about the firing pin breaking due to dry firing; HK having redesigned the pin due to this.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for knowledge. I dry fire all my pistols.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine have been dry fired many thousands of times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course you CAN dry fire a current generation USP pistol, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to make a habit out of it.  You'll undoubtedly hear from lots of people that dry fire all the time without a second thought, and that's probably fine, but at the same time, snap caps exist for a reason.  And yes, HK did redesign the firing pin after a handful of breakages, that was probably about 12 or 13 years ago now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It won't hurt it at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
As I understood, there was a batch of guns with a heat treat that were more succeptable to firing pin breakage. These would have been in the late 90s time frame.

I had one of those guns and broke the firing pin after an estimated 60k+ dry fires. HK fixed it at no cost to me, and the gun was out of my hands for less than two weeks. Use a snap cap if you're feeling particularly paranoid, but I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a problem at all.
View Quote
Yep
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top