Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/16/2015 5:45:47 PM EDT
So my full size USP9 will not run with the Osprey on it. It is not the suppressor ready model, it is a standard model that I added sights/barrel to.

Without the can on it cycles flawlessly with the subs, but throw the can back on and it's a single shot.

So what's my fix? Throw a tactical model recoil spring assembly in it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, recoil assembly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that you mentioned that, I noticed that when I run 147g through my USP9 tactical + osprey combo, the casings look like they are just falling out of the gun after each shot, but still ran with out any malfunctions. I tried running my osprey wet and i got 3 stovepipes in 1 mag. Anyone one have any idea why?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Taken from HKPro-

Good post with the photos. Most people have no idea that you're not just supposed to drop in the SD barrel and start shooting. The SD recoil assembly is designed to handle the increased pressure associated with suppressed shooting. Using the standard recoil assembly can result in over function and damage to the frame and receiver.
Just because you see a gun part on a website that says it can fit your pistol, doesn't mean that you shouldn't do your homework on whether or not you should put it in your gun. Reading up on the manuals or a simple call to HK's customer service/repair shop is worth the effort.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I just added a threaded barrel to my USP and it runs fine on my 124 grain reload subsonics.

Liberty mystic X. PF 125 loads, 1015 FPS 124gr.  Brass flips out into a neat pile right in front of me. Havent tried 147s but how is running suppressed any different than running the +P that the USP is rated for?

Threaded USP barrels were around long before the USP9SD was. I dont understand the thinking here. Ive never seen any frame damage to a USP from using supressors and 147s
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
not that this helps you any OP but i just put a threaded barrel in my p30 and shot with an aac evo-cqc can and 147 subs without issues. i've done the same with glock 19 and 17's.

when you say single shot, you mean the slide is not cycling? as in the recoil spring is too heavy maybe?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
you ARE using a booster, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You really can't attach an osprey to the gun without the booster as the booster is the threaded portion of suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You really can't attach an osprey to the gun without the booster as the booster is the threaded portion of suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so can you pull the can forward? is it carboned up so much that its frozen?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Seen people forget to pull the fixed-barrel spacer out and put booster spring back in...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I am running the booster. No nothing is frozen up as far as the can is concerned.

Yes single shot as in the slide doesn't function at all when firing. I can yank the can and run the subsonic rounds all day no problem, but with the can its a no go.

I really hate to dump $100 on a recoil spring assembly and have the same issue afterwards and be another $100 deep in it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
how about normal 115 or 124 gr super sonic?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you try suppressed with supersonics?

Here's a video of my usp 9 tactical running 147s and 115s. The 147s were barely ejecting and would cause stove piping after about 150 rounds until I relubed the gun. But I've only tried one brand of 147s so far, and they were the freedom munitions reman ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQciZyUZd54
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I will try running supers with the can on Friday and will report back
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
and truthfully, you should post this on the suppressor forum, lots of suppressor talk there....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Good idea I will post it there too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok so here is what we learned today....

The gun ran much better than before after replacing the o-ring (thanks to Engineer in the suppressor section!) and making sure everything was cleaned well. But it still has its issues....
With the subs and can it's having 3-5 stovepipes per mag now, which is a huge upgrade from the single shot it was before!

Ejection pattern is somewhat erratic, except for when it goes into one of its "good strings".

It runs 100% with the can and supersonic rounds. Ran 100 rounds through this way and zero malfunctions.

It did actually get one mag of subs to run 100%, dunno why it won't maintain that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Was curious what kind of subs you're running
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Freedom munition 147gr subs and some 125gr subs my buddy loads.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
See if you can yet your hands on a different flavor of 147 grn sub.  Just a hunch
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I will surf the web, nothing else available locally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]
freedom sucks.

I use ETR7 powder (4.1) over plated RMR 124gr bullets for 1015 FPS, and flawless function from a USP9 with threaded barrel (only) and a Mystic X / buffer.

I'll say it again.

Freedom ammo sucks
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I will surf the web, nothing else available locally.
View Quote
Sganmo.com has like 4 different flavors of subsonic, 147 and even heavier.  I would buy a box of each and see what's happens.  Something tell me you won't have problems.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I would try some different ammo, Speer 147gr. Lawman is pretty good for me.

Target Sports USA, just had it on sale a week a go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#24]
For subs, I prefer Fiocchi 158gr here

My USP 9 SD sounds quietest with it, but I have only ever been able to find it online.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Just an update on this for those that were wondering....

The USP is running 100% now!

Got my tactical recoil spring in from HKParts and went off to the range. Ran the remaining 200 rounds of the freedom munitions I still had through it an no issue.

So I can only assume it was originally a single shot due to the piston being dirty and seizing up (never noticed the issue on my original host M9, as I guess it isn't much of an issue for them), and then was stove piping after cleaning everything up due to the recoil spring being too light for suppressor work and it cycling too fast.

So big thank you to everyone who gave me advice and got me on the right track! Love this setup now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#26]
On that M9 you don't have to use the booster, because the action is different. Your USP uses a Browning tilt-barrel where as the M9 is just a short recoil straight back with fixed barrel. Probably why the M9 didn't show any signs of this issue.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top