Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 12:23:10 PM EDT
I have a full size USP 40 that I do really enjoy shooting but I did buy a P30 that has basically replaced my USP.  The P30 is the most accurate pistol I have shot to date.  Right now I'm at a crossroads and need your guys input.  Should I keep the USP or sell it?  I could use the money for other things and I'm on a kick of thinking it's better to consolidate calibers.  So if you guys would please give me your opinion. Thanks

ETA:  How does the P30 compare to the USP in terms of being reliable and durable.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The p30 and the USP are equals in reliability and durability.  The only thing in that field that I didn't like about my P30 was the fact that the grip panel on the back just didn't feel secure.  I actually like that the USP doesn't have interchangeable ones...but seeing as how just about every polymer gun out now has them I would say they are g2g.

The other knock on the p30 is the trigger...but if you are shooting it as good or better than the usp than it should be a moot factor.

Short answer...they both do the same thing and are comparable in size.  While my heart tells me to tell you to not sell the USP, as mine is my favorite center fire pistol to shoot by a large margin, if yours has taken a backseat to your p30, and there is something else that you would rather spend the money on than having it living in your safe, go for it.

I just tried to like the p30, and couldn't
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
KEEP HER

Nothing wrong with a solid back up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The market for 40 cal is the softest out of the 3 main service calibers.  

I would hold onto unless you have to have the money now.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd keep the it.  The USP .40 has some of the cheaper mags out there as many are going to either 9 or .45 in calibers.  Plus many of the USP9 parts fit the USP40.  It is a solid gun with ammo that many LE agencies still use, and that you can find on the shelves of the next panic.  Run you P30 as your EDC, but keep the USP as a back-up, main service pistol, or make into an HD gun.  Very reliable and very accurate all the same.

Most people who sell their one and only USP generally regret it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd sell it and replace it with a #2 P30

ETA: I'd actually replace the USP 40 with a VP9 9mm. Having guns that use the same mags is a big plus
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd keep it, unless you find a good deal on another P30 since you prefer them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]
On reliability, I'd expect them to be the same. However, didn't the older USP's (pre-2006ish IIRC) have weaker firing pins that were updated? Even so, they can be replaced. I think the firing pin block was updated too to match the new firing pin IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On reliability, I'd expect them to be the same. However, didn't the older USP's (pre-2006ish IIRC) have weaker firing pins that were updated? Even so, they can be replaced. I think the firing pin block was updated too to match the new firing pin IIRC.
View Quote

That is true.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The market for 40 cal is the softest out of the 3 main service calibers.  

I would hold onto unless you have to have the money now.

View Quote

Well said.  I bought mine for what I distinctly considered to be the bottom of the market 9 months ago and recently looked at GB and I think the market has slipped another 10%, which really surprised me.

I like my USP vs the P30, since my hands are normal to large, the grip fits me fine.  Something about a P30L calls me though, and like the OP I feel it is redundant.  Theres so many guns to buy and I really prefer each firearm to fill a niche, even if they overlap a little.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top