Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 11/13/2015 7:31:12 PM EDT
I picked up another Horsie for the stable...

MKIV Series 80 Stainless.

The Horse Rescuer in me jumped into action and decided to take it out of the display case and secure it (dropped $120 on it and she's out of the case).

I loved the look and aside from the magwell, 2-piece guide rod and grips, it is pretty much complete.

Woo! Feels good to rescue neglected horses.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
She's a purty philly!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's a purty philly!
View Quote

There's a thing with me that when I see a 1911; if it's a Colt? I will pick it up and take it home with me. It's the fourth one I picked up and the second one that I have picked up this year alone (the previous one is my SS Delta 10mm).

Is a thing with me...
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a very nice Colt.

Colt's stainless and the finish seem very durable. Usually, they clean up exceptionally well.

I'm always on the look out for a well-priced 1911.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
She's nice for sure. Too bad it's not a series 70.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree on the grips
what will replace them?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Either Cocobolo Double Diamonds or my spare VZ operator II grips. And the mag well? GONE.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I once had 3 horsies. But alas I have them no more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to have two (1974 Series 70 Govt and matching Cdr.). Alas, sold those. I am trying to restock the stable. Got a Delta Elite and now, a S80 Govt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She's nice for sure. Too bad it's not a series 70.
View Quote

Yesh, I know the sentiment; both my previous COlts were S70s, not too happy wiyth the un-needed extra parts, but a Colt is a Colt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I used to have two (1974 Series 70 Govt and matching Cdr.). Alas, sold those. I am trying to restock the stable. Got a Delta Elite and now, a S80 Govt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Defender which was my favorite pistol i have ever owned. A Night Commander and a Light weight commander.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a Defender which was my favorite pistol i have ever owned. A Night Commander and a Light weight commander.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh; I almost forgot... I also had a Colt Defender in 45 ACP as well. That would make three Colts in total.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh; I almost forgot... I also had a Colt Defender in 45 ACP as well. That would make three Colts in total.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebay has to rescue those poor neglected Ponies!  Black Tiger is the man to do it!!!!

Hey...how is the Delta coming along????

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Somebay has to rescue those poor neglected Ponies!  Black Tiger is the man to do it!!!!

Hey...how is the Delta coming along????
View Quote

The Delta is still on hold; I am waiting to get all the parts gathered up to send to the smith I will choose. I'm really in no hurry to get the weapon worked on, since it works great as is.

Oh, and here's the newest member of my stable...

Sexy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding!!!  I applaud you fro taking the time to do it right!  It already looks 2000 percent better!!!

I love love your new rescue Pony!!!

Here's mine....straight from the breeder:

Ever have a horse that just WANTS to run?  That's this one!!!!

( I did do a few minor tweaks....but nothing extravagant )
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Decided to give the horse a once-over...

Beautiful. Little to no wear on parts; looks like it was seldom fired.

I think I got myself a winner.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking good!

I took my 1991 apart last night for it's yearly checkup....annnnnd out came a grips crew bushing....I knew kept spares for a reason!

I have finally had it with the one thing that Colt can't seem to get away from and that is the crappy, bleeding rips that ooze natural oils that just LOVE to eat right into any steel including "stainless".  I ordered VZ Double Diamond Checkered grips for ALL of my Ponies.

Ma...my 1911 was FILTHY!!!  Filthy like a monkey!!!  I ended up dumping EVERYTHING into the sonic cleaner and cycling the heck out of it.  I even did the barrel after cleaning it TWICE!!!!

Much better now!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Not much use at all, at all. It also looks a jillion times better with the new grips. Just need to get rid of the FLGR and put a long trigger in it.. Nice pickup.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not much use at all, at all. It also looks a jillion times better with the new grips. Just need to get rid of the FLGR and put a long trigger in it.. Nice pickup.
View Quote

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!!!  Which reminds me:  if you change from the FLGR, go with the Cylinder and Slide recoil plugs....they are true GI with the little pippy popped into the side so you can fix the plug to the end of the recoil spring!!!

They rock.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!!!  Which reminds me:  if you change from the FLGR, go with the Cylinder and Slide recoil plugs....they are true GI with the little pippy popped into the side so you can fix the plug to the end of the recoil spring!!!

They rock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They rock.

I bet you got all excited when you typed that; didn't you?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They rock.

I get the most joy out of the litttttlllest things!!  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They rock.

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]
HOLY  SHIT!!!!!!!!   Do I spy a COLLET BUSHING????  You lucky dog!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes sir; that is indeed a collet bushing. I really lucked out on this pony. I am not going much else to it, I took her apart, cleaned and lubed her (hehe!) and replaced the grips. Nothing else.

Can;t wait for Monday to roll around, so i can take her to the range and shoot a few boxes through her.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes sir; that is indeed a collet bushing. I really lucked out on this pony. I am not going much else to it, I took her apart, cleaned and lubed her (hehe!) and replaced the grips. Nothing else.

Can;t wait for Monday to roll around, so i can take her to the range and shoot a few boxes through her.

Nice!!!  Since that gun looks to have already had some rounds downrange, it's probable that the collet bushing, if it hasn't broken by now, may never break at all.

I really want to know how good it shoots!  Keep us posted!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice!!!  Since that gun looks to have already had some rounds downrange, it's probable that the collet bushing, if it hasn't broken by now, may never break at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitting the range tomorrow with a couple of boxes of hardball. I am curious to see how well she shoots as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hitting the range tomorrow with a couple of boxes of hardball. I am curious to see how well she shoots as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I have almost all of my final adjustment and tuning to my Combat Elite, just waiting on my VZ grips.  Next up.....gonna do the Combat Elite treatment the lower on my Delta, including the knuckle cut.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not near as knowledgeable about 1911's as y'all sound, but that pistol requires a dayam!
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, BT:

300 downrange with 100 percent success, including loaning it to my mentor and shooting it weak hand.  If anything was gonna happen it would have been while it was in my mentors hands.  If a gun doesn't humiliate me there...then I am usually good to go.  I will NOT carry a weapon that he hasn't shot yet.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice, D-M. I was able to finally find an OEM barrel for my Delta. Took some rummaging around, but I got it, now to get a link and link pin and have it installed.

Now I have to sell the two Barsto barrels I have... Slowly working to get the Delta ready... And then there's the MKIV .45 I picked up afterwards; the gun is 99% OEM, except for the guide rod.

As that character from "Left 4 Dead" says...

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nice, D-M. I was able to finally find an OEM barrel for my Delta. Took some rummaging around, but I got it, now to get a link and link pin and have it installed.

Now I have to sell the two Barsto barrels I have... Slowly working to get the Delta ready... And then there's the MKIV .45 I picked up afterwards; the gun is 99% OEM, except for the guide rod.

http://emotibot.net/pix/3029.png

View Quote

I just got done trading my CE to my dad for my Delta.  I just got it back together after doing an inspection and making a list of the changes I am gonna make.  I am seriously thinking about having Wilson Combat install a Wilson/Nowlin ramped 10mm barrel with a new bushing.

I am not big on accessories but here is my accessory and tip of the week:

The NOWLIN extended mag release ( only lightly extended which is perfect ) is  ( if you look at my CE ) a perfect match for the serrated slide stop, safety and mainspring housing on most Colt pistols.  It's exactly right!  HERE IS THE TIP WHEN INSTALLING:  remove the catch lock and spring from the Nowlin unit and put the catch lock and spring FROM the Colt INTO the Nowlin.  The Colt SPRING is much stronger than the Nowlin. You will never accidentally drop a mag but you won't have any trouble doing quick mag changes, either.  I's a win-win.

My CE with a Nowlin/Colt spring hybrid Mag Release:

Here's an Ed Brown checkered and extended in my Carry gun as a comparison of the styles:

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I just got done trading my CE to my dad for my Delta.  I just got it back together after doing an inspection and making a list of the changes I am gonna make.  I am seriously thinking about having Wilson Combat install a Wilson/Nowlin ramped 10mm barrel with a new bushing.

The NOWLIN extended mag release ( only lightly extended which is perfect ) is  ( if you look at my CE ) a perfect match for the serrated slide stop, safety and mainspring housing on most Colt pistols.  It's exactly right!  HERE IS THE TIP WHEN INSTALLING:  remove the catch lock and spring from the Nowlin unit and put the catch lock and spring FROM the Colt INTO the Nowlin.  The Colt SPRING is much stronger than the Nowlin. You will never accidentally drop a mag but you won't have any trouble doing quick mag changes, either.  I's a win-win.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83237

Here's an Ed Brown checkered and extended in my Carry gun as a comparison of the styles:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83243
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you're not making it any easier for me, right?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Merry Christmas????

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Well? Finally got my hands on an OEM barrel for the Delta, but it was from a blued one. I will try to find someone to polish the barrel to match.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Well? Finally got my hands on an OEM barrel for the Delta, but it was from a blued one. I will try to find someone to polish the barrel to match.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/8EE0976B-7CA5-4357-B3F7-A14C2A0955C7_zpsi0h9vnbm.jpg

View Quote

Wait, wait, wait!!!  What if it looks good like that?  Lock the slide back and take a pic!!!  gotta see it!!!!

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wait, wait, wait!!!  What if it looks good like that?  Lock the slide back and take a pic!!!  gotta see it!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/8EE0976B-7CA5-4357-B3F7-A14C2A0955C7_zpsi0h9vnbm.jpg

Soon as I get home; I'm stuck on 16 at work. At the least, I can polish the outer chamber up. The barrel seems to have been fired very little; strong rifling, but it' looks like it's been sitting in the parts bin for a while, so a chamber polish will not hurt it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, here it is...

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it's fine as is.  Boy the previous owner REALLLLY put an idiot scratch on it, didn't he?  DAMN!!!

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think it's fine as is.  Boy the previous owner REALLLLY put an idiot scratch on it, didn't he?  DAMN!!!
View Quote

Yup! But I've seen much worst...

Still; i want to polish the top of the chamber, so it looks good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Colt 70 series Gold cup!

I'm drinking and this is a Colt thread so I'm randomly posting mine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#40]

I have no problem with either the drinking or the Colt posting - carry on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There's a thing with me that when I see a 1911; if it's a Colt? I will pick it up and take it home with me. It's the fourth one I picked up and the second one that I have picked up this year alone (the previous one is my SS Delta 10mm).

Is a thing with me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's a purty philly!

Is a thing with me...

It is a thing with a lot of us
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Now, I want to do some work on the Series 80; lighten up the trigger, probably do some mods - nothing overly drastic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Add a pair of Tripp Cobra mags and put the extended maxwell back on,
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Check it out, Brother!!!!

I am about 90 percent fitted on the grip safety.  Gonna wait to get the ramped barrel and new bushing and then Novak's in before I fit and finish the new extractor and firing pins stop.  Then I'd dress the frame radii to the grips safety to 100 percent.  After that, comes the glass blasting on the frame and the nitriding of the slide.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top