Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2015 6:10:53 PM EDT
I was having some trouble with my LC9 and was missing targets I had no business missing. My current stash of ammo was cheap Remington UMC and I'm trying to figure out if it's the gun, the ammo, or the shooter. I weighed out a bunch of Remington rounds on my reloading scale and noticed a lack of consistency, the unfired rounds typically varied by 2 - 3 grains in weight. I then weighed some of my Winchester white box ammo and it was much closer and much more consistent, though I need to actually fire some and see if I do better with it to confirm the problem.

Is Remington ammo that bad? Does that 2 - 3 grains in cartridge weight really matter that much when shooting at 15 yards?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for interest.  I know how much my reloads vary but I never took the time to weigh out a box of factory nor weigh the components.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
when you say you were missing, do you mean completely, or your groups were not so great. The LC9 has a long trigger pull. Try off a bench, but I am guessing you will find the same issue with other ammo.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when you say you were missing, do you mean completely, or your groups were not so great. The LC9 has a long trigger pull. Try off a bench, but I am guessing you will find the same issue with other ammo.
View Quote

I was shooting a steel ladder target at maybe 15 yards. The targets were about 4 inches.

Even off a bench I was having trouble. The groups were definitely larger than my target. I've had this gun for quite a while now, but I never really shot it a lot and became proficient until late last year, and now I feel it's holding me back. Just trying to determine what exactly the problem is. Something in my fundamentals I don't realize is off? Worn barrel/rifling? Poor ammo? I have shot a few thousand rounds through it, at least.

The big thing is I'm trying to get my accuracy up. I've been doing IDPA for a little while and I'm starting to get fast, but I don't quite have the accuracy to back it up, especially at longer distances.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The LC9 is not the firearm for IDPA imho. It's a pocket 9. The long pull might be messing with your fundamentals. Get a paper target and see where you're hitting. See where your groups are. Also, dry fire practice at home, focusing on keeping the front sight steady through the pull.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LC9 is not the firearm for IDPA imho. It's a pocket 9. The long pull might be messing with your fundamentals. Get a paper target and see where you're hitting. See where your groups are. Also, dry fire practice at home, focusing on keeping the front sight steady through the pull.
View Quote

I agree 110 % with this statement I had an lc9 and the trigger pull was absolutely atrocious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
25 TO 35 on loaded rounds is nothing.
The brass and the bullet are going to be all the variation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top