Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 1:27:23 PM EDT
Been a glock shooter for years and picked up my first m&p 2.0 yesterday.  My front sight is not centered and its causing me to shoot left.  I clamped it in my vise and have beat the crap out of the front sight but still can't get it to move.  I've installed quite a few sights on my glocks and other pistols but just tapping them on like this but this one is not budging.  Any ideas that would help me?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately I've always had to use a sight pusher.  I have a couple of friends who have succeeded using normal tools like a hammer and screwdriver but I've never had any success.  I'm very surprised to read the sight isn't centered, I believe you, I'm just surprised.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have replaced the sights on a Shield and a full size M&P without much trouble. but yesterday I flat could not get the sights off of my two new Shields( 9&45). my bravery with the hammer failed before the sights moved.
I`m taking the two to a gunsmith Tuesday. all I really want is the original sights removed. if he gives me a good price to go ahead and fit the new sights, he can do that too.
I actually looked inside the slides to see if they had started using an anchor bolt, but nope, just a dovetail.
fwiw, i am putting in Ameriglo CAP sights. the gun I have them on works really well with these old eyes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Brass punch and a hammer didn't work? Maybe put some liquid wrench under it the best you can and let it sit overnight and try again. Also, make sure you're pushing it the correct way. I know my HK is slightly tapered (if you're looking at it from the top down) and the front sight MUST be removed/added in a certain direction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried a punch, a deadblow hammer, a normal claw hammer, a piece of delron against the site and beat the crap out of it with no movement either way.  I too looked inside to see if there was a set screw hoping that was my issue.  Maybe I'll let it soak in some pb blaster and try again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
my 5" FDE 2.0 was no harder to swap sights on than any other M&P I've worked on...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have replaced the sights on a Shield and a full size M&P without much trouble. but yesterday I flat could not get the sights off of my two new Shields( 9&45). my bravery with the hammer failed before the sights moved.
I`m taking the two to a gunsmith Tuesday. all I really want is the original sights removed. if he gives me a good price to go ahead and fit the new sights, he can do that too.
I actually looked inside the slides to see if they had started using an anchor bolt, but nope, just a dovetail.
fwiw, i am putting in Ameriglo CAP sights. the gun I have them on works really well with these old eyes.
View Quote
quoting myself to update.
tried freezing the slides and even that did not work, so today I took the two slides to that gunshop I talked about. I think I may have found a good guy.
he knows M&Ps, their mods and likes them,took my stuff in the back of the shop and returned with new sights installed on both slides in about 15 minutes.
35 bucks even. I didn`t even ask how he got the sights off.
I`ve gotten tired of smiths acting like they are rebuilding my damn transmission while doing something small. "just drop off your stuff and I`ll call you next week" so somebody with quick and efficient work makes a good impression.

tldr; Scruff spend money, Scruff happy now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Well ordered some truglo tfo's last night and a sight pushing tool.  Hopefully I won't have any problems getting them off and then I'll have a tool for when I do others instead of the tap on method I've always done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top