Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:41 PM EDT
The reason I ask is because they make a non laser version of this model.

I could do without the long trigger, or even the manual safety, but it might have a place in my repertoire as a jogging gun. It's light and it's thin. It's also accurate from what I recall. I have a PT-1 it will drop right into. The Glock 42 is still the best .380 I have fired, and I wish the Bodyguard had a trigger like that; but I'd rather have it over the LCP or similar for a micro .380.

Local shop has the non-laser version for $359 plus tax.

Other local shop has the laser version for $409 plus tax.

G42 is $399 and Shield 9mm is $389 for comparison.

Update 1/30/15: placed an order from Woodbury Outfitters. I really wanted the one with the CTC laser, but cannot overcome my concerns about the batter compartment screw backing out during fire. I had also read some things about the Bodyguard pistols that concerned me, but I figure I can take the chance at that price. If I don't like it, I can sell it for what I paid most likely and not lose out on too much money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has the laser.  I like it.  The only thing I didn't like was the stiff safety.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the laser version. I removed the laser because it's impossible to activate when I want it, and it fires off in my pocket draining the battery.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the non laser version and put a new trigger bar in it.   Now I just wish I could find decent night sights, the sights that come on it are fine, I just like night sights.  I was surprised how accurate I was with it, on my very first outing with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has the laser. Overall I like the gun but the trigger does suck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The reason I ask is because they make a non laser version of this model.

I could do without the long trigger, or even the manual safety, but it might have a place in my repertoire as a jogging gun. It's light and it's thin. It's also accurate from what I recall. I have a PT-1 it will drop right into. The Glock 42 is still the best .380 I have fired, and I wish the Bodyguard had a trigger like that; but I'd rather have it over the LCP or similar for a micro .380.

Local shop has the non-laser version for $359 plus tax.

Other local shop has the laser version for $409 plus tax.

G42 is $399 and Shield 9mm is $389 for comparison.
View Quote

I shot one. Trigger is long but not aweful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked one up with the laser for the girlfriend, on sale, for $300 brand new at the local show, he sold ~30 that day at that price.

No issues, it's the most accurate .380 pocket pistol I've shot.  It does have a long, heavy trigger, but no worse than most others.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the one with the laser, but I'd go with the non-laser model now. I don't feel the need to have one and you prevent the screw holding the laser in from backing out and locking up the gun. Yea you can locktite it, but there's just no reason to have it. You're not going to activate it in a defensive situation since it takes an extra step to do so and you have to really push that button or it won't turn on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Nay
Go with a shield . Yes bigger but a better gun .
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought the laser version. I removed the laser because it's impossible to activate when I want it, and it fires off in my pocket draining the battery.
View Quote
I did the same thing.  It was useless.  There were tweaks to the buttons, but  but they would alwsys be too hard or too sensitive.  It didn't hold zero, recoil made the battery contacts loose, and some people even had the screw back out into the RSA locking the gun up.  I took the module out and superglued the screw in.  I also replaced the firing pin with a tool steel one from Galloway Precision (took some fitting) and added an extra power hammer spring to solve light strikes.  Broken FPs and light strikes with harder primers were the only issues I ever had or heard of so I'm quite confident in the pistol now.  When S&W replaced the firing pin and laser they tweaked the safety so it's now perfect-- snicky and just light enough.  Glad I've got a pre-MIM barrel, that shit would make me nervous.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Nay, I like my Kahr CW380 better.. I had the Bodyguard less than a month and sold it. Hated the trigger and was not near as smooth a shooter as my Kahr.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like Bud's Guns has the non-laser version for about $317 shipped. That is the cheapest I have found it so far. After transfer fee, that puts me at $342. That saves me about $36 over buying it locally.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Nahhhhh
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I just purchased one w/o the laser from woodbury outfitters online at 259.99 + shipping.

I was on the fence about getting a BG .380 or a MP Shield 9mm but this deal was good and it's small enough for me to carry 100% of the time.

All reports I've seen is that it's reliable and accurate, with a long trigger pull.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just purchased one w/o the laser from woodbury outfitters online at 259.99 + shipping.

I was on the fence about getting a BG .380 or a MP Shield 9mm but this deal was good and it's small enough for me to carry 100% of the time.

All reports I've seen is that it's reliable and accurate, with a long trigger pull.

View Quote

Holy cow, that's a great price. I am going to end up placing an order with them soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did the same thing.  It was useless.  There were tweaks to the buttons, but  but they would alwsys be too hard or too sensitive.  It didn't hold zero, recoil made the battery contacts loose, and some people even had the screw back out into the RSA locking the gun up.  I took the module out and superglued the screw in.  I also replaced the firing pin with a tool steel one from Galloway Precision (took some fitting) and added an extra power hammer spring to solve light strikes.  Broken FPs and light strikes with harder primers were the only issues I ever had or heard of so I'm quite confident in the pistol now.  When S&W replaced the firing pin and laser they tweaked the safety so it's now perfect-- snicky and just light enough.  Glad I've got a pre-MIM barrel, that shit would make me nervous.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had read that some of these issues were found with the first release of this pistol known as the Bodyguard .380.

The new production known as the M&P Bodyguard .380 is supposed to have a stainless steel barrel, improved trigger. I'm not sure about the firing pin or battery compartment. I feel like CTC would build a better laser than Insight, but the M&P Bodyguard is so new on the scene that it might be too soon to know if it will be plagued with similar issues as its predecessor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one when they first came out. The trigger gets much smoother once broken in. It's very, very accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top