Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 3:22:44 PM EDT
Yes this is ghetto and looks like crap but this is just proof of concept. I took an 8rnd Shield mag grip extender and opened it up a bit and glued it to my shield grip. Fits and looks like crap but works great. I did this in about an hour yesterday just to see if it would work. I'm going to buy a few more 8rnd mags and try and do a cleaner job here within a few weeks. Feel free to yell at me about how stupid I am and how ugly it is.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
When were you pinching your fingers with the shield?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
So now you can't fit smaller magazines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Good thing Shields are cheap these days.  

Not really feeling it myself.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Between the mag and frame during reloads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little lost. Why were you pinching the magazine as you seated it? I just get it in the tube and shove it in with my palm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Gehetto is correct....
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So now you can't fit smaller magazines.
View Quote

Yep.

Pro Tip for the rest of us....

Take the adaptor OFF the 8 round magazine.  You will shoot it just fine and also eliminate the pinch.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Lord.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You most likely won't have to reload a defensive pistol.

If you do have to reload, you're not going to notice the pinch.

If you needed a range gun, I'd have gotten a range gun.

That being said, I can't say I haven't done some bubba-smithing myself in the past.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good Lord.
View Quote

I know right? The reason I did this TEMPORARY mod was to see it was feasible to make a grip extension. This is just a simple test fit that I'm going to take off and clean up and 3d print a new extension that will fill the grip backstap cavity and be epoxied in. With the stock extension off the 8rnd mag I still have to go pinky out like I'm drinking a girly fruit drink during a reload. With this mod I don't have to shift my right hand at all during a reload. And yes I wont be able to use 7rd mags anymore once the mod is complete, but the grip size for me will be perfect.

I know the pics look really bad, and the extension is ugly as sin, but heck, they are *free* after all aren't they.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know right? The reason I did this TEMPORARY mod was to see it was feasible to make a grip extension. This is just a simple test fit that I'm going to take off and clean up and 3d print a new extension that will fill the grip backstap cavity and be epoxied in. With the stock extension off the 8rnd mag I still have to go pinky out like I'm drinking a girly fruit drink during a reload. With this mod I don't have to shift my right hand at all during a reload. And yes I wont be able to use 7rd mags anymore once the mod is complete, but the grip size for me will be perfect.

I know the pics look really bad, and the extension is ugly as sin, but heck, they are *free* after all aren't they.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good Lord.

I dont think he meant that as a defense of your "mod"....

Move your finger out of the way and slam a mag.  Its a purpose driven defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Well that was dumb.  Guess you're gonna sell that 7rd mag now eh?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Should have glued the extension to the 8 round mag if you were worried it would slide up and hinder a speed reload.  

8 round mag = $30
Shield = $400

Always modify the cheapest part.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Should have glued the extension to the 8 round mag if you were worried it would slide up and hinder a speed reload.  

8 round mag = $30
Shield = $400

Always modify the cheapest part.  
View Quote

+1
I crazy glue the plastic insert on the 8 rounder to the magazine body to keep it secured in place and prevent sliding up and down.
Keeping the insert on the magazine itself allows more surface area for grabbing the mag during reloading.
The floor plate remains removable for cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow... Didn't get the response you expected did you?

But hey, we all have done stupid stuff in our lives.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow... Didn't get the response you expected did you?

But hey, we all have done stupid stuff in our lives.
View Quote

Not at all. I was hoping more for the Beowulf X treatment.

Great question!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Not pretty. You could clean it up though. Stipple were the part you added to frame meets till it looks like a blend between both parts. If your careful and talented enough it will look like a longer frame instead of two pieces.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen some 'stuff' done to Hi-Points when cruising the Hi-Point forum and none quite as 'uniquely' done by a 'mechanically skilled challenged' person as what was inflicted on that poor Shield.

Wow.
Just
Wow.

May I suggest getting some Hobby Lobby craft projects to 'dry fire' on as to speak to get your glueing & joining skills up a bit before taking the next step of say, modifying Jennings/Lorcin pistols before advancing upwards to Hi-Points?

Just trying to help out here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gehetto is correct....
View Quote

kinda defeats the purpose of getting a smaller gun
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Is that Elmer's glue on there?.....
Your shield, but looks like you will still get pinched.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Needs more:

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#26]
If filled in with epoxy and stippled you could probably make it look better. I've wondered if this would work myself. I would love a Shield with a grip that length and a longer barrel...about the size of a Glock 19, but thinner.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Dumb solution to a non-existent problem. But hey your gun your rules
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If filled in with epoxy and stippled you could probably make it look better. I've wondered if this would work myself. I would love a Shield with a grip that length and a longer barrel...about the size of a Glock 19, but thinner.
View Quote

have you looked at Kahrs?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
wtf
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like a good mod to me.  I hate guns with no pinky support, but I love the concept of the shield otherwise.  Now wrap a Talon grip around it and cover it up.  Would like to see pics of the whole gun when you're finished.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Stipple it. You know- for when it gets hot shooting IDPA.

O wait.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like a good mod to me.  I hate guns with no pinky support, but I love the concept of the shield otherwise.  Now wrap a Talon grip around it and cover it up.  Would like to see pics of the whole gun when you're finished.
View Quote

Great Question!!!

I've ordered some more 8rnd mags and am looking into 3d printers to see if it's even worth having a extension with an ear or leg or whatever that would fit into the hollow of the back strap on the grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top