Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:02:08 PM EDT
took my new M&P FS 9mm out today and noticed a couple of things. First, I noticed if I did a press check(I know there is a LC hole but old habits die hard) and then let the slide ease forward it would not fully lock up, is this normal? Without a round chambered it didn't do this and if I let the slide slam shut it wouldn't do this either. Second, I was shooting some 115gr Fed Champion and out of the 100rds I shot most of them hit me in the shoulder and then dropped to the ground next to my foot. I had a few hit me in the head also. I know this ammo is on the weak end of the spectrum but I've never had a gun with this poor of ejection, could it just be the combination of weak ammo, a new gun, and the fact that I lubed the rails with grease instead of oil? I'm going to try and get out tomorrow with some Fed AE and see if that stuff works better since it's a little hotter. The gun did function 100% though.

Accuracy was about what I expected with cheap plinking ammo, most of my groups were around the 4" range at 15yds. I had one group around 3" and a couple around 5". All these groups were shooting offhand. The 7lb trigger pull probably didn't help any either so I went ahead and ordered a DCAEK kit and since I have to remove the rear sight for the APEX USB I went ahead and ordered some TFO's also. Hopefully the lighter trigger will tighten my groups up and maybe get me shooting closer to point of aim instead of shooting low right(I'm a lefty).
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its normal. Once you use the gun a little more the spring will wear in and will go into battery a lot easier after a press check. I always tap the back if the slide afterwards anyways. As far as ejection goes try holding the gun a little tighter and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, its normal. Once you use the gun a little more the spring will wear in and will go into battery a lot easier after a press check. I always tap the back if the slide afterwards anyways. As far as ejection goes try holding the gun a little tighter and see what happens.
View Quote

I was holding the gun really tight, probably too tight. I did try to induce a malfunction by holding it very loose but it kept on working. If it still does it with hotter ammo maybe the extractor is a little on the tight side?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The press-check thing is normal.  As far as ejection goes, my 9 FS has been flawless but my 9c would sometimes send brass straight up.  After 500 rounds, it doesn't do that anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top