Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 3:34:23 AM EDT
Do any of you know if S&W is still planning on making a version of the Shield with no manual safety? IIRC, when they first came out they stated there would be but it's been what, 2 years now and I haven't seen one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard recent rumors that they were going to do it to get LE contracts, but nothing concrete.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I had my Shield apart the other day for an Apex install, and I came VERY close to dremel-cutting that tab off so that the safety is non-functional.  But since mine is fairly tight and positive, I'm going to hold out a bit longer for Apex or someone to come up with a fix-plug.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Took mine out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Just leave it switched to off. It takes a deliberate action to manipulate it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Not sure why so many people have an issue with it.  Go to your LGS and check the Shield out.  The action is stiff enough that if you thumb it off, it stays off.  It's not going to activate without you deliberately setting it.  It's not like some safeties that are really easy to switch on by accident.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.  Not sure why so many people have an issue with it.  Go to your LGS and check the Shield out.  The action is stiff enough that if you thumb it off, it stays off.  It's not going to activate without you deliberately setting it.  It's not like some safeties that are really easy to switch on by accident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

while this may be true.. its all about preference.. I have a shield .40 and love the gun... but it bothers me that it is there in the first place. The second they come out with a non thumb safety version i am trading. And I will probably be going with a 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The safety is what's kept me from buying one in .40 and if they make a non safety version I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had my Shield apart the other day for an Apex install, and I came VERY close to dremel-cutting that tab off so that the safety is non-functional.  But since mine is fairly tight and positive, I'm going to hold out a bit longer for Apex or someone to come up with a fix-plug.
View Quote

Mine is gone and I made my own plug/cover.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 9mm Shield for a BUG and alternative to my G19  for off-duty. Coming from predominately Glocks (except from the Beretta M9 while in the Army)...I've discovered that the manual safety on the Shield is a non-issue. In training with it, I've had no issues making the sweeping the down of the safety as a part of my draw (when the muzzle is presented at the threat). Hasn't slowed me down yet or confused me with manual of arms at all. That said, I have no issues with it, but like the rest of you, I think I could've done without it as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
As a guy who has carried a Sig P220 (no safety) on duty for about a decade, and who has no problems with carrying Glocks and others without safeties... I actually like that my Shield has one. Reason being that my Shield is usually carried in a holster, but occasionally it finds its way into the pocket of gym shorts, sweatpants, etc.  When that little gun is bouncing around loose so close to my twig and berries, I like the added security of the thumb safety. As others have stated, it requires a conscious effort to manipulate and isn't going to switch positions unless you want it to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Being a lefty I would need either no manual safety or an ambi safety to consider the shield.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/WhiteWolfe/DSC00517_zps67ee66e7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude you should really make a tutorial video about it. That looks like some damn fine work you did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dude you should really make a tutorial video about it. That looks like some damn fine work you did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm impressed that he pocket carries a Shield.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pocket carry mine in shorts sometimes. Can't pull it off in jeans though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree that it's not MUCH of an issue, since it takes a positive force--but it still COULD get knocked on, and for those of us not wanting to depend on our practice with it reverting to our practice with glocks (which for me is a LOT more ingrained), that's not good.  

The original--how to--on removing it, had people pull the whole piece out, but the latest videos say that this can allow a pin to wiggle out.
The new method is to cut off the tab that blocks the trigger-bar.  IF they'd sell me a new safety bar doohickey, I might do it...I'm basically fine waiting for Apex or someone else with good lawyers to come out with something.

ETA:  not to be paranoid, but I'd rather my pocket holster cover the trigger a bit more.
ALSO--until I get SOME kind of holster, I am using my safety.  I do have two in the mail, and am waiting for the Silent Thunder Fusions to become available for May.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just do what this guy did in the video, but I cut the safety off too. I believe TheTacticalCoyote above just removed his. I didnt like the way the sear pin drifts when you just take it out, so I modified mine.

I used a piece of plastic from an old floppy disk and shaped it with the dremel and super glued it.

Shield Safety Removal
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes I just removed mine and did not put anything in it's place. The sear pin does not move freely.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used a piece of plastic from an old floppy disk and shaped it with the dremel and super glued it.
View Quote

A whaaaaaaa...?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A whaaaaaaa...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A whaaaaaaa...?

Yep!

I even have a USB drive for em!  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I will definitely be picking another one up as soon as they are available without one. The safety is stiff, but I'm still paranoid about it being flipped on accidentally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top