Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Apex has a lot of goodies in the pipeline. i know how I will be spending my future paychecks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, now I have a decision to make. Aluminum trigger or wait for the polymer trigger. I can get the FSS kit for $120 but do you guys think the polymer trigger will be legal for production class shooting?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cole_bie:
Shit, now I have a decision to make. Aluminum trigger or wait for the polymer trigger. I can get the FSS kit for $120 but do you guys think the polymer trigger will be legal for production class shooting?

Where?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By the_outrider27:

Where?

I get a discount at a gun store. I went ahead and bought the current FSS. I figure I can always replace the trigger if need be.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the selling point of the plastic trigger soley monetary?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hwhiskey82:

Yes, mostly. I have heard people say the aluminum AEK trigger can get hot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Originally Posted By Hwhiskey82:

Yes, mostly. I have heard people say the aluminum AEK trigger can get hot.

I shot 350 rounds through my M&P9 with the FSS aluminum trigger a couple weeks back, at the end of the 350 I burned off 4 mags as fast as I could.  My trigger was warm but not hot

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#8]

I was hung up on the price for the AEK trigger, but gave in. Since shooting it, I have zero regrets.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:

I was hung up on the price for the AEK trigger, but gave in. Since shooting it, I have zero regrets.  

What does it do, exactly?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Originally Posted By packingXDs:

What does it do, exactly?

Reduces pretravel and overtravel. Helps to open the trigger bar loop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
How can I tell if my M&P has any Apex parts? I bought it used a while back and it has a lot better trigger than my friend's that bought his new.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at the sear.

Left is Apex, right is stock.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynlr] [#13]
installed the DCAEK in my early build M&P40 yesterday and can only say wow ! what a nice difference.
while installing I came across this bag and only used the smaller of the 2 for the new sear.  does anyone know what the larger spring is for?. .
i am guessing it's for another model.
on a side note.  that #%$^@*& sear spring  plunger tried to get lost several times. worse than ar detents.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By flynlr:
installed the DCAEK in my early build M&P40 yesterday and can only say wow ! what a nice difference.
while installing I came across this bag and only used the smaller of the 2 for the new sear.  does anyone know what the larger spring is for?. .
on a side note.  that #%$^@*& sear spring  plunger tried to get lost several times. worse than ar detents.
http://www.njrod.com/images/guns/dcaeksprings.jpg

Big spring is for newer 2011 to current SHB. Small spring is for older SHB.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]

TYVM
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]

TYVM

YWVM.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynlr] [#17]

TYVM

YWVM.

and now that i know this.  is it worth buying a new SHB to upgrade to the larger spring? they are only 22 bucks for the complete assy at midway. and mine is pretty worn

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]

TYVM

YWVM.

and now that i know this.  is it worth buying a new SHB to upgrade to the larger spring? they are only 22 bucks for the complete assy at midway. and mine is pretty worn

Do it and if you need a spare you got one now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
SHB??
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stopsign:
SHB??

Sear Housing Block
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Stopsign:
SHB??

Sear Housing Block

Yeop, using short hand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rolex_John] [#22]
I did a detailed photo review on the Apex FSS trigger kit a while back which I thought might be a good addition to this thread:

Review of the Apex FSS Trigger Kit for the M&P Pistol
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a question due to the fact that I am a newbie to the M&P world. I just bought a M&P 45C and I was wondering does Apex make parts for the 45C?
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lostboy45:
I have a question due to the fact that I am a newbie to the M&P world. I just bought a M&P 45C and I was wondering does Apex make parts for the 45C?

Anything for the FS 45 will fit. See the first post for more details.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eaglecp] [#26]
Never mind figured it out, Ill be back though..............
chuck
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I installed an apex ....carry kit...?.I want to say several months ago. It did improve the trigger, however the reset is still hardly noticeable. Can someone explain how to determine if I can install the RAM or not in my gun? I purchased probably 3 months ago. No thumb safety, no internal lock, no mag lock

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]
any word on the poly trigger?  I havent even gotten my gun from the FFL yet but am ready to do a FSS and RAM job.  Would really like to do it all at the same time
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bulletproof210:
any word on the poly trigger?  I havent even gotten my gun from the FFL yet but am ready to do a FSS and RAM job.  Would really like to do it all at the same time

Early next year. Most likely January or February.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By turbomunkey:
I installed an apex ....carry kit...?.I want to say several months ago. It did improve the trigger, however the reset is still hardly noticeable. Can someone explain how to determine if I can install the RAM or not in my gun? I purchased probably 3 months ago. No thumb safety, no internal lock, no mag lock

Thanks

You should be good to go adding a RAM.  I even put one in my FS 9 that has an otherwise stock FCG - it added positive reset and made the gun much more shootable.  (It will get a full DCAEK at some point.)

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't seem to find the answer to this, but will the SHB part number 277640000 from Brownells work with a thumb safety?  I want to add a FSS to my M&P9C but it is an older one (2009) with a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I am considering either the FSS or the Comp version.  Why do you not like the FSS?  I would like to hear your experiences, so that I do not waste my money on buying the wrong one for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got the FSS and trigger kit in my M&P9. Night and day difference compared the stock trigger. Reset is short, and the break is about as clean as you can get on a striker-fired gun. Not quite a 1911 (it's still got a slightly spongy break), but it's good. I've put a few hundred rounds through the gun since I installed it, and have had no problems. The aluminum trigger with the Glock-type trigger bar safety is much better than the goofy stock hinged trigger.

It is a short and relatively light break though, so if you don't have the thumb safety on there, it might not be the best choice in a carry gun. Otherwise it's a must IMO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone have any idea when they will have the Polymer trigger kit?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Can't wait I have a ram and fss on the way. Hope I made the right decision with the fss
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#36]
taggage
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Answered a few posts above yours.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:

Not to be rude but we already passed January or February of this year...
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Since this thread will remain tacked, I wanted to reiterate my satisfaction with Apex parts.

I recently purchased a 4.25" Pro 9mm. It came with a supposedly lighter pull from the factor which put it in the 5.5 lb. range. It felt decent enough. There was some grit/creep in the trigger but a nice break followed by a soft reset.

I purchased a fully machined sear, USB, and RAM for the Pro. I installed those this weekend and the improvement has been substantial. The grittiness in the trigger has been virtually eliminated during the pull. The break is clean and light, and the reset is quite positive. It really has taken an average/mediocre factory trigger and made into something more.

Anyone on the fence about Apex should just buy the kit/parts. Installation is pretty easy if you pay attention and take it slow.

I just ordered a kit for my Shield.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ninjasteve77:
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:

Not to be rude but we already passed January or February of this year...

Hilton Yam of 10-8 and Modern Service Weapon had a mini preview of it. Hopefully it will be out soon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a new full size M&P 40 with thumb safety that was manufactured in 11/12 iirc.  The trigger is horrible, it feels like it's full of kitty litter.  The gun is used as a HD gun, range fun and as a carry gun.  Which parts or kit doing need to give me a nice smooth trigger with a short reset I can feel?  I love this gone otherwise so if I can make the trigger perform, like it should have from the factory, I'll have a near perfect poly gun.  Thanks :-)
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 1:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FP2000H] [#42]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
I've got a new full size M&P 40 with thumb safety that was manufactured in 11/12 iirc.  The trigger is horrible, it feels like it's full of kitty litter.  The gun is used as a HD gun, range fun and as a carry gun.  Which parts or kit doing need to give me a nice smooth trigger with a short reset I can feel?  I love this gone otherwise so if I can make the trigger perform, like it should have from the factory, I'll have a near perfect poly gun.  Thanks :-)

DCAEK is what you seek, friend.

I just purchased the Shield carry kit from them and installed the new sear spring, sear, and trigger return spring and it is pretty cool the difference it makes. I have a sight pusher on the way for the Shield to get the USB in there and complete the job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks, hopefully it will fix the M&P's horrible trigger!
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought a new M&P 45 with the extra threaded barrel.

My trigger gauge scale only goes to 8lbs, has run off beyond 8lbs. M&P45 was noticeably past 8 when breaking, so I figure approaching at least 9lbs. Seems to be a common issue with the 45 variant.

Put gun back together and measured break weight after cumulatively doing the following steps replacing S&W factory parts with APEX parts:

replaced sear keeping factory sear spring: 5.75 lbs
replaced firing pin safety plunger & spring: 4.75 lbs, substantially reduced feel of dragging/interference of trigger takeup
replaced striker spring: 4.25-4.00 lbs

Hard to get a super consistent reading with the hinged trigger so was a little variable on last weight. Huge improvement in feel, other than reset point not very strong, I think the trigger is now definitely better than a Glock. However, no one will mistake it for a 1911.

LGS has one with the Apex trigger installed, definitely an improvement but most of the creep is still there from take up to break point.

I kept factory return and sear spring since I haven't decided on ultimate role of this gun and I like my 1911s around 4.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
Bought a new M&P 45 with the extra threaded barrel.

My trigger gauge scale only goes to 8lbs, has run off beyond 8lbs. M&P45 was noticeably past 8 when breaking, so I figure approaching at least 9lbs. Seems to be a common issue with the 45 variant.

Put gun back together and measured break weight after cumulatively doing the following steps replacing S&W factory parts with APEX parts:

replaced sear keeping factory sear spring: 5.75 lbs
replaced firing pin safety plunger & spring: 4.75 lbs, substantially reduced feel of dragging/interference of trigger takeup
replaced striker spring: 4.25-4.00 lbs

Hard to get a super consistent reading with the hinged trigger so was a little variable on last weight. Huge improvement in feel, other than reset point not very strong, I think the trigger is now definitely better than a Glock. However, no one will mistake it for a 1911.

LGS has one with the Apex trigger installed, definitely an improvement but most of the creep is still there from take up to break point.

I kept factory return and sear spring since I haven't decided on ultimate role of this gun and I like my 1911s around 4.5 lbs.

That is exactly what the forward set sear and trigger are made for.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had a DCAEK and RAM in my 40c for two years now and really like them.

Last year I picked up a FS 9.  I didn't want to stuff a DCAEK into it until I was sure it didn't have any problems, but I did pop a RAM into it right away to have crisper reset.  I also ordered a replacement sear housing block because mine turned out to be old stock with the small sear spring hole.

I finally got around to ordering a DCAEK for the FS yesterday along with a 10-8 rear (same as what I use on my 40c.)  I thought it would be prudent to see how badly jammed up my rear sight was so I could give it Kroil therapy for a week before the parts arrived.  Luckily my FS rear popped loose with a few light blows from a sand hammer - I was worried I'd have to do the freezer method or worse.

A big +1 for Apex stuff!  I like the ergonomics of the M&P enough that I switched from Glock after a long relationship, and Apex has resolved my only real M&P complaint - the crap stock trigger.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brutus2] [#47]
Installed the APEX FSS on my .40  . I didn't think that the trigger on my  2013  M&P was horrible, gritty but not bad after 10 years of lawyer triggers.  Now my  M&P is great to shoot instead of meh... It is now about 4-5 lb pull very short travel and reset, does not snap like a 1911 but it is still very predictable. What I don't see improving with the FSS installed  is on the subtle  trigger reset... but I don't really care about a tactile/audible  trigger reset , since the travel is so short I really  don't see where a snappy trigger reset would improve my shooting..
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
I've had a DCAEK and RAM in my 40c for two years now and really like them.

Last year I picked up a FS 9.  I didn't want to stuff a DCAEK into it until I was sure it didn't have any problems, but I did pop a RAM into it right away to have crisper reset. I also ordered a replacement sear housing block because mine turned out to be old stock with the small sear spring hole.

I finally got around to ordering a DCAEK for the FS yesterday along with a 10-8 rear (same as what I use on my 40c.)  I thought it would be prudent to see how badly jammed up my rear sight was so I could give it Kroil therapy for a week before the parts arrived.  Luckily my FS rear popped loose with a few light blows from a sand hammer - I was worried I'd have to do the freezer method or worse.

A big +1 for Apex stuff!  I like the ergonomics of the M&P enough that I switched from Glock after a long relationship, and Apex has resolved my only real M&P complaint - the crap stock trigger.

Mine was built in 2013 (3077) and it came with the  small sear spring hole and pin. I was disappointed  with that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I am seriously considering the FSS.  I hate the trigger on my mp40pro, it smoothed out a bit after 500rds or so, but it still sucks.  This may sound weird, but I hate how curved it is, this paired with the hinge makes it uncomfortable for my finger.  It sounds like most people are happy with the function of the fss, but does it feel better?  Does that make sence?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Have a DCAEK and RAM on order.  What tools are necessary to complete the installation?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top