Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 7:20:19 PM EDT
I'm wondering if anyone can help out with this or offer some advice. I always had been accustomed to racking the slide on an M9 or 92 series pistol using the "pinch" style of grip (using the thumb and forefinger to grasp the slide and let it slingshot forward again) and also had used that method on other pistols as well (like Glocks or Sigs for example).

That being said, I have grown fairly comfortable over the last year in using the overhand slide racking technique (that many people these days use) for all other pistols EXCEPT Beretta M9s/92s. I've tried to adapt that method to the Beretta but unless I am extremely deliberate and careful I seem to get a big chunk of my hand bit by the slide when I try to rack the gun that way. I don't see how I'd be able to use the overhand slide rack technique on a Beretta consistently under any real stress, timed or otherwise without getting part of my hand bit by the slide. It (my hand) seems to want to slip off with such a small area to grab on to, and it seems awfully tough to get and maintain a good positive grip.

I think if the safety/decocker were not there and there were more room on the slide to grab onto, the overhand rack method would be easier for me with this gun, but it just seems like there is so little room with the decocker there.

Does anyone have any advice or things to try to make it easier to manipulate the slide on a Beretta 92 with the overhand/over the top of the slide method? Is it more trouble than it is worth to try to learn how to rack the slide that way on this gun? More than anything I'm looking at this from a standpoint of clearing simple malfunctions (tap, rack, shoot). A long as I can do that smoothly and quickly enough (without slide bite!) I don't care which method I use, although it would be nice if I could use the same technique for the Beretta as I do for all my other pistols.

Any input here is appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the over the slide racking method with IIRC my pinkie finger "hooking" against the large scallop on the front of the 92 slide and my thumb pressing against the serrations/safety.

I've never had to clear a malfunction with this method since the pistol has always ran flawlessly so I have no idea how it would fair with a gun that is fairly locked up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I do it like above except without the thumb part.  That's not a bad idea.  But on front of the slide away from the decocker and other stuff.  It works well on just about any gun.  Although some guns have less to grab onto there.  But it feels very natural for me and on the M9 that front taper or bevel like he said is a perfect place to get a grip on.  

One could argue the heal of your hand is too close to the muzzle at times and I don't have a counter argument.  But it still seems to work better for me there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My advice is to buy a Wilson Combat slim line safety/decocker. After I installed mine, no more accidentally engaging the safety and I can tap rack like any other semi auto pistol. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice is to buy a Wilson Combat slim line safety/decocker. After I installed mine, no more accidentally engaging the safety and I can tap rack like any other semi auto pistol. Hope this helps.
View Quote

This is what I did as well. IMO, an excellent upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Idk, I just grab it overhand and use my finger tips to hold the saftey from  moving.

How's your hand getting pinched?. It shouldn't be anywhere near the gun when its comming back into battery.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I grab the slide with the web of my palm facing forward, grabbing the slide with my thumb and index finger and place them underneath the safety so it doesn't inadvertently go to safe.

If I were going to face the web of my palm facing me, I'd probably place my thumb in the safety indentation (still underneath) and put my index finger directly underneath the safety on the starboard side to push the slide back. Basically making a "U" shape with my thumb and index finger and pinching the slide.

I could see if you grew up on a farm and had huge fingers you might get close to getting pinched, but it's still hard to imagine.

This video doesn't cover the issue you're having directly, but he shows various ways to manipulate the Beretta slide, maybe one of them will work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GdorjSbEE
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the slingshot method and avoid the overhand method. It can cover your view of the chamber and expose your palm to the hot barrel on an open slide design like the 92. It can also put your fingers dangerously close to the muzzle on smaller pistols.

It is the only method I have seen used when people complain about inadvertently engaging a slide safety. The slingshot method does not suffer from any of these issues, and you have a natural tendency to point the weapon up and away from you while you do it. (I have seen some people point their weapon down towards their leg while sitting down using the overhand method).
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I just grab a hand full of everything with the assumption that I will deploy the safety.  When my left hand lets go of the slide, my right thumb comes up to bump the safety off.  Sometimes it bumps the safety off, sometimes the safety isn't deployed.  If it really bothers you, convert the safety to a decocker only.  But if you grab the safety, you have more to hang on to.  If you just assume it will accidentally deploy the safety, then you're just never surprised.  It's an easier adjustment to do than it is to talk about it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the slide release lever. It's big and beefy enough that I never miss it. On nearly every other semi-auto I use the overhand method.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
There is nothing wrong with the slingshot method if you can execute it reliably.

Forget what's popular.

Use what works.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I too have problems with slide bite and activating the safety when racking over hand. I ordered a low pro Wilson Combat slide lever. I'll update after I get it and install.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I use an "under the dust cover" method. I come underneath the gun with my support hand and use my thumb, pointer and middle finger to grip the slide on the "half moon" scallops just behind the muzzle and throw the slide to the rear. Due to a soft recoil spring the slide requires minimal force to move it backward IOT strip, feed, and chamber a round. It has worked well for thousands of rounds for me. Works safely under high stress (duress) situations.

ETA: I is my preferred method on my issued weapon since I cannot modify the hardware.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I use the overhand method when racking my slide typically, unless I am press checking to see if I have a round chambered. I haven't had any instances of putting the safety on accidently, but I also dry fire/rack my slide regularly just to stay on top of things. I basically put my index finger underneath the right side and pull up slightly, so I can make sure that I am not engaging the safety/decocker. I haven't tried the Wilson Combat safety levers, but I almost appreciate the extra meat and grip you get from the decocker/safety levers on the slide.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use the slide release lever. It's big and beefy enough that I never miss it. On nearly every other semi-auto I use the overhand method.
View Quote

That doesn't help with IAD's though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use an "under the dust cover" method. I come underneath the gun with my support hand and use my thumb, pointer and middle finger to grip the slide on the "half moon" scallops just behind the muzzle and throw the slide to the rear. Due to a soft recoil spring the slide requires minimal force to move it backward IOT strip, feed, and chamber a round. It has worked well for thousands of rounds for me. Works safely under high stress (duress) situations.

ETA: I is my preferred method on my issued weapon since I cannot modify the hardware.
View Quote

That's a new one on me.  Interesting......
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume that you mean immediate action drills. I've found that practicing immediate drills helps best with immediate action drills.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I assume that you mean immediate action drills. I've found that practicing immediate drills helps best with immediate action drills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you rack the slide when you do an immediate action drill?  I guess is what the point of it is.  That's where this whole deal becomes an issue of engaging or not engaging the safety, how to do it, etc.  The slide stop is certainly a good way to go when you reload after slidelock.  It IS nice and big.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do you rack the slide when you do an immediate action drill?  I guess is what the point of it is.  That's where this whole deal becomes an issue of engaging or not engaging the safety, how to do it, etc.  The slide stop is certainly a good way to go when you reload after slidelock.  It IS nice and big.
View Quote

Yep, you're right. I glazed over the part in the original post where he said that he was focused on malfunction clearance.

Overhand, FTW.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Any which way you rack the slide, just get use to sweeping the safety lever to ensure its on "fire".
Stuff happens and the safety can easily get bumped into "safe".

Sweep the lever up when getting ready to fire.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:36:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any which way you rack the slide, just get use to sweeping the safety lever to ensure its on "fire".

View Quote

I think I forgot to mention this and I apologize, but I have G models (decock only) so there is no safety to inadvertently sweep on, there is no concern there.  

I'm not worried about engaging the safety by accident, it's just that I find it isn't easy to rack the slide overhand safely, smoothly and consistently without my fingers and/or the edge of my hand slipping off--yes, even when grabbing the decocking levers for leverage. It is one thing for me to try overhand rack in a non stressful situation, but when time or stress is involved I seem to foul it up more often than not. Further, it is lot harder naturally to rack the slide when the gun is decocked in DA mode than it is to do so in SA mode.

For comparison's sake, a Taurus PT 92 I can overhand rack at speed no problem because there is no safety or decocker on the slide to get in the way (too bad Taurus QC is so God awful compared to Beretta's).

I guess I am in the minority here in that I have trouble with this and that is ok...I was just trying to find out what some other people were doing technique wise and how well it has worked for them. Thanks for all of the replies.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Im not following.

How is the power stoke unsafe?

Not smooth? Practice more

Your hand slips off? Grip tighter and push the gun out as hard as you can while your left hand is ripping it back. Your hand should eventually slip off and practicaly hit yourself.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think I forgot to mention this and I apologize, but I have G models (decock only) so there is no safety to inadvertently sweep on, there is no concern there.  

I'm not worried about engaging the safety by accident, it's just that I find it isn't easy to rack the slide overhand safely, smoothly and consistently without my fingers and/or the edge of my hand slipping off--yes, even when grabbing the decocking levers for leverage. It is one thing for me to try overhand rack in a non stressful situation, but when time or stress is involved I seem to foul it up more often than not. Further, it is lot harder naturally to rack the slide when the gun is decocked in DA mode than it is to do so in SA mode.

For comparison's sake, a Taurus PT 92 I can overhand rack at speed no problem because there is no safety or decocker on the slide to get in the way (too bad Taurus QC is so God awful compared to Beretta's).

I guess I am in the minority here in that I have trouble with this and that is ok...I was just trying to find out what some other people were doing technique wise and how well it has worked for them. Thanks for all of the replies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding the Taurus, IME that is consistently the best pistol they make or have made.  I've NEVER experienced any issues with a Taurus 92.  Now back to the Beretta.

I don't know what to tell you, there's a good hand full there at the rear of the slide.  Perhaps try the Wilson low profile safety/decocker lever???
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I installed the wilson combat left side low profile safety/decocker today. The install took about ten minutes with simple tools. Racking slide overhand now feels like all of my other pistols. After dozens of slide racks I haven't accidentally activated the safety. I can't imagine using a 92 in the future without this simple upgrade.

I also ended up throwing a 18 pound hammer spring in. It is noticeably lighter than the factory weight though I think I should've gone for the 16 pound one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top