Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2008 1:24:00 PM EDT
hello;

anyone replace the hammer spring in their p225/p6????  how did you do it, whats the trick???? thanks for any input.

rp
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not replaced mine.  Bought a parts kit, but wont replace until mine breaks  Gun is a 3/83 and still going fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard from the Sig Forum it's almost a 2 person job,, kinda tricky. I also heard some of those guys just took them to their local smith for the job. I am debating trying it with my trusty assistant (wife). Some of our prior projects should steer me away from this idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I did. It's easy gettng the old spring out but putting in the new is kinda a pain cause you have to hold the hammer spring with a pair of vice grips and compress it also have to make sure the hammer spring guide is in the right place cause if it's not then it will not cock then you gotta do it all over. But all in all about a 20 min job and a few cuts
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
A vice and needle-nose vice grips help a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the input.  ran into a problem, can't get the roll pin at the bottom of the hammer strut to move.  have a high "oops"  actor.  taking everything to a gunsmith moday.  looks like the hammer strut will be easy to bend if you are not careful.  thanks for the input.  thanks again.

rp
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks for the input.  ran into a problem, can't get the roll pin at the bottom of the hammer strut to move.  have a high "oops"  actor.  taking everything to a gunsmith moday.  looks like the hammer strut will be easy to bend if you are not careful.  thanks for the input.  thanks again.

rp

The hammer strut roll pin is easy to push out. All you need is a pair of needle nose pliers. Open the pliers and put one half on the back of the pin and the other on the edge of the strut. Just squeeze the pliers together and push the pin out.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Sig Armorers DVD by Chris Orndorff. It shows you how to completely strip your Sig down to the last spring. It also gives you very easy step by step directions on how to replace the hammer or main spring. It is very easy to do.

You can get the DVD from Top Gun Supply

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-armorers-course-dvd_p-series.html

It is well worth the $22.00.

Shipping is one flat fee so pick up a parts kit and replace all of the springs. I highly recommend replacing the springs when you buy a used Sig or a P6. For $26.00, its worth the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
hello;  

thanks for the input.  un-stuck roll pin.  tap, tap, tap is not the answer.  WACK with a platic mallet solved everything.  vice and a work bench were useful also. took @ 2 min. to change out.  thanks again.

rp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top