Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Posted: 4/3/2016 8:40:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ozgood03:

I've tried the KKM Roland barrel and the TBRCi microcomp with both a Lone Wolf barrel and Alpha Wolf barrel and neither of those compare to the KKM in any way.
View Quote

I am not so interested in which barrel is better as I know KKMs stuff is top notch.

I am curious which COMPENSATOR is more effective, or if they both perform the same? The KKM Comp or TBRCi.  I have intentions of picking up a KKM barrel, regardless of which compensator I end up with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:

I am not so interested in which barrel is better as I know KKMs stuff is top notch.

I am curious which COMPENSATOR is more effective, or if they both perform the same? The KKM Comp or TBRCi.  I have intentions of picking up a KKM barrel, regardless of which compensator I end up with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ozgood03:

I've tried the KKM Roland barrel and the TBRCi microcomp with both a Lone Wolf barrel and Alpha Wolf barrel and neither of those compare to the KKM in any way.

I was getting all the relevant info about what I used. I didn't switch the comps between barrels. I felt the KKM did better than the TBRCi. Also, the KKM didn't rotate while the TBRCi comp has rotated on the barrel every single time I've shot it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weaponoutfitters] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#5]
I had one for a short time on a G17 MOS.

Your only option for co-witness is a stupidly tall front and rear sight or the attachable rear BUIS and a stupidly tall front sight. The Leupold BUIS is adjustable but only held in place with setscrews, and doesn't instill confidence. Wasn't impressed with the BUIS options, however, it's a very robust sight and I liked it, and how the battery changes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Anyone using a DPP? I'm heading really good things about it, it's just going to be a hassle to put BUIS on.
View Quote

I use a DPP on a milled slide. Dawson makes a set of irons that offer approximately lower third through the DPP. The front sight looks like a damn sail on a boat, but it works.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:49:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGunslinger] [#7]

I've had so far about 1k rounds through it. Mostly Blazer 124gr but here lately Speer Lawman 147gr. I even dipped into some cheap Federal 115gr and Perfecta 124gr Nato.

Other than the 2nd shot ever through the gun, zero malfunctions, slide always locks to the rear when it should. Average range session is around 200-250 rounds. 

Super happy with the setup, well worth the money. I'm pleasantly surprised the Gen 4 RSA required no changes for reliability. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By weaponoutfitters:
 put together an ISMI guide rod, spring, and Gen 4 to 3 conversion plate for when I'm just plinking.  Not an expensive conversion at all.
View Quote

That is probably the route I will also take so it can reliably feed 115gr stuff.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as reliability, I have had absolutely 0 malfunctions with my micro comp and the stock internals. I have shot everything from weak reloads in 115 to steel 115 and brass 124 and 147. Mine has yet to choke on the cheap stuff, and I hope it stays that way as I shoot a decent amount and generally shoot cheaper ammo at the range.

As for the twisting, I went back and put Loctite on the barrel threads and am letting it cure before I hit the range again. If it still has issues with twisting, I will be going with the KKM setup and cutting my losses. Full Disclosure - its my fault for not putting thread locker on the barrel to start with, but I had read of lots of guys running it on the set screws only with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weaponoutfitters] [#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't used every RMR out there, but I really like the DPP. It's a bit big, but if you can make it work, it's really nice.

The RMR is great, but I like the larger tint-less lens and top-loading battery in the DPP better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Putting blue loctite onto the barrel thread itself is over the top and it will definitely, definitely work hahaha, especially if you degreased the thread and comp.  I did it out of curiosity and it was stuck on there:  figured you might not even need the set screws if you did that (ala the Carver Comp, which just uses red loctite).

For me, just degreasing the comp/set screws and only applying loctite to the set screws was enough.  Without loctite, the comp would come loose after half a mag... but never got dangerous since the guide rod prevents rotation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullMetalAR:
As far as reliability, I have had absolutely 0 malfunctions with my micro comp and the stock internals. I have shot everything from weak reloads in 115 to steel 115 and brass 124 and 147. Mine has yet to choke on the cheap stuff, and I hope it stays that way as I shoot a decent amount and generally shoot cheaper ammo at the range.

As for the twisting, I went back and put Loctite on the barrel threads and am letting it cure before I hit the range again. If it still has issues with twisting, I will be going with the KKM setup and cutting my losses. Full Disclosure - its my fault for not putting thread locker on the barrel to start with, but I had read of lots of guys running it on the set screws only with no issues.

Putting blue loctite onto the barrel thread itself is over the top and it will definitely, definitely work hahaha, especially if you degreased the thread and comp.  I did it out of curiosity and it was stuck on there:  figured you might not even need the set screws if you did that (ala the Carver Comp, which just uses red loctite).

For me, just degreasing the comp/set screws and only applying loctite to the set screws was enough.  Without loctite, the comp would come loose after half a mag... but never got dangerous since the guide rod prevents rotation

Forgot to mention. For whatever reason, blue loctite would not work for me, period. 

Got everything put together, did blue on the set screws and the next day went shooting. Screws backed out in 2 mags and I was having to retighten periodically. Went home, cleaned the threads real good, degreased with alcohol and let the blue sit for a couple days, still backed out with 1 mag. 

Re cleaned everything and used red loctite on the set screws, holding strong still. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]

I've got a G17 ATOM slide. Which is really cool for optics evolution, but doesn't allow the optic to sit quite as low.

I'm torn between the RMR and the Delta Point Pro. The RMR makes everything easier mounting wise, but the DPP straight up looks like the better optic.

I got the info I needed of the P&S Facebook:

The OEM ATOM sights are .365

I've got time but I need to decide between the DPP (still waiting to find out Fed/MIL pricing) and new BUIS or just getting the RMR.

I'm also trying to decide between the KKM setup and an S3F/TBRCI setup.

Just waiting for my frame to come back from Olympic Cerakote and more funds to free up.
View Quote

FWIW, I've seen DP pros on the EE for under 400 used recently.

That price makes it easy to try without losing out on too much if you decide you don't like it and want to resell it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Fish1856:

FWIW, I've seen DP pros on the EE for under 400 used recently.

That price makes it easy to try without losing out on too much if you decide you don't like it and want to resell it.
View Quote

You can pick them up new from pretty much any vendor for under $400.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Finally got a Black Nitrided KKM Barrel. Already have a spare RMR, Surefire, and Freya. After I send the slide to ATEi, I just need to figure out who I want to go with on stippling/frame work and trigger. Love my Agency Frame, but stippling like Fowler is extremely aesthetic.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By narphenal:
Finally got a Black Nitrided KKM Barrel. Already have a spare RMR, Surefire, and Freya. After I send the slide to ATEi, I just need to figure out who I want to go with on stippling/frame work and trigger. Love my Agency Frame, but stippling like Fowler is extremely aesthetic.  

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/580x365/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/k/kkm-g19comp-black-1.jpg
View Quote

Nice! Ive been wanting to try to black KKM as well, but they seem pretty rare. Did you order yours from KKM directly? If so, how much time did it add?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By weaponoutfitters:For me, just degreasing the comp/set screws and only applying loctite to the set screws was enough.  Without loctite, the comp would come loose after half a mag... but never got dangerous since the guide rod prevents rotation
View Quote

When mine came loose it actually chipped the plastic piece on the end of my guiderod, so now it looks shitty

Havent gotten to the range yet, but I don't foresee any more issues since putting Loctite on the barrel threads too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FullMetalAR:

Nice! Ive been wanting to try to black KKM as well, but they seem pretty rare. Did you order yours from KKM directly? If so, how much time did it add?
View Quote

Weapon Outfitters had posted them up earlier tonight, but it looks like they are already out of stock.

I think I saw somewhere that they had ordered them in December, so it looks like a 2+ month wait time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Do I need a RMR sealing plate for mine?

I haven't run into issues, yet, but I've been told that if it's not installed the dot can flicker because the battery isn't being held in place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone seen the new strike industries comp ? They had a pre sale on them, last night at only $80 I jumped on it, to give it a shot, looks like they won't be shipping till next month sometime, but with these there's no need for threaded barrel, http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/g4-slidecomp.html

Be interesting to compare it to the TBRC micro comp..
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#24]
Primary Machine also has a presale for a micro comp coming out soon. Looks similar to KKM comp, but similar cuts as their UCC V1 slide cut to match the comp. Basically dual ports on top with single ports on the side. Bevelled pockets and chamfering cuts to match their slide stuff.

I am considering going that route since I have plans to get primary machine to do my slide work. Plus they can cerakote the comp to match the slide as a 1 stop shop.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weaponoutfitters] [#26]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the input. I was just thinking about this today. I think this solidified my decision to go with a DPP.

When will you guys have more DPPs in stock?

He probably got it from me since that's my photo I took of one yesterday haha

We ordered a bunch in December, finally got em Friday, sold out immediately.

We've got more standard and nitrided ones on backorder now.  I even gave up the one I was hoping to keep for myself!  This next batch should be in a lot quicker:  a production batch at KKM was lost due to flooding and heavy rains in January, hence the delays.

If you mount it onto a Glock, you need a sealing plate from Trijicon or Battlewerx etc to help with water proofing.  We sell the Battlewerx ones because they are cheaper than Trijicon AND have the dimple which pushes the battery up.  However, the most important mod you need to do is to modify the side battery contact.  The anti-flicker plate, shoe-goo on the battery... those are not as important as modifying your side battery contact.

I posted about it on my Instagram here and i showed mine.  Mine is not done too well... I'd prefer it have more of a curve, but it was the best I could do with my basic tweezers hahaha!  You just have to be careful to not bend past the point of elasticity and break it!  Without the mod and just an anti-flicker plate, mr RMR went to 1000 rounds or so before it had issues.  Without an anti-flicker sealing plate, my pal's $2500 custom tuned G-19 with an RMR started flickering after 12 rounds LOLOLOL!  

The RMR's housing, electronics, and glass... all hella tough, hella hardened.  The achilles heel is the power supply design, designed before slide mounting was a thing.

https://instagram.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/16584740_230691300670056_4515984638014914560_n.jpg

I also shimmed mine with a bit of cut up gift card... but that's not really needed.  Some folks use foam etc.

A Deltapoint Pro has a MASSIVE side battery contact that is two pronged... at 12 o clock.  More shock = More contact.  The RMR's baby dick of a side contact is at the exact wrong spot at 9 o clock too.

https://instagram.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/16583397_284456341971067_4656193639234404352_n.jpg

My thoughts on the Delta Point Pro are

DPP Pros

1.  Way larger window/aperture.
2.  Way clearer window/aperture
3.  Smarter power system.
4.  Recent price cut (New MSRP is just $400 now)
5.  Secure, yet easy to access top loading battery
6.  Great warranty from an American company.  If you manage to break it, Leupold will take care of ya!

DPP Cons

1.  Very very tall, so you need a very, very tall front sight.  .385 and .495 are the heights I've encountered, pal at Leupold told me .385, another pal's build is the taller one.  A massive front sight is a real pain in that it snags on a lot of stuff.  That being said, the DPP is very reliable and lets you know when it's batteries are running out.  BUIS are not absolutely critical on it IMHO.

My thoughts on the RMR are as such

Battery powered RMR Pros

1. Strong strong strong.  The housing is famously strong, and newest production models have have hardened electronics to better resist shock.  The Glass is immensely thick, and feels twice as thick as the already thick DPP's glass.
2. Better lower profile mounting/BUIS.  With a bottom loaded battery, you can get the RMR low onto a Glock and co-witness with regular suppressor sights.
3. Custom fitting is an mastered art.  The folks at ATEI and others can custom fit RMRs, so the tough housing is basically perfectly fit onto your pistol, and a part of it
4. Long battery life.  The tinted window and adjustable LED tech gives the RMR a battery life of up to 4 years, though most folks swap the inexpensive battery at 12 months when daily carrying.
5. Proven service:  Doug from ATEi has an early model RMR RM01 and after mods... it's been through 20K rounds easy.  Some folks in the LE world are also up there with their RMRs in terms of round count, post modification
6. Great warranty from an American company.  If you managed to break your RMR Trijicon will take care of ya!

Battery powered RMR Cons

1. Expensive.  Quality costs money... especially the adjustable LED models which are the clear favorite.
2. Smaller aperture.  The smaller aperture is very unforgiving.  Your pistol skills need to be on point... or your BUIS are more important, depends on how you view it.
3. Power supply system needs modification.  Takes 2 minutes start to finish when you have an experienced person like myself do it.  I am considering buying a surgery tool so I can get more of a curve on my side contact bends hahaha

I think the DPP and RMR are both fantastic choices, and the best choices at this time for a weapon mounted MRDS.  Everything else out there is a value/budget buy.  I'd run either a RMR or DPP happily and work with their respective strengths/weaknesses alike.  Some times I'm biased towards one sight, sometimes I'm biased toward the other.  In terms of cost/performance I think the RMR and DPP are on the same marginal utility curve.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]

SNIP
View Quote

Thank you for the incredibly detailed post. I'll get around to modifying mine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weaponoutfitters] [#30]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#31]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#33]
The overall, shape and thickness of the RMR is what gives its external toughness. However, the DPP has a spring steel housing and should hold up during a beating.

There's 2 types of durable though. I know you know this, but many people conflate the 2.

There's the external durability of the sight's housing and glass against being beaten,  hit, slammed, etc...

There's also the internal durability of the device and it's circuits, wiring, battery contacts, etc... against the recoil forces produced.

From all appearances it seems the RMR has the first and the DPP has the second.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#34]
For those running TBRC comps, does the TBRC comp bring the G19 up to G17 length? Or is it still G34 length?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#35]
For those running TBRC comps, does the TBRC comp bring the G19 up to G17 length? Or is it still G34 length?
View Quote

g34 length
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anybody have any issues running the Safariland 6354DO holsters with slides that have a slight bevel in behind the comp either KKM or TBRCI?  I have a Zev Socom slide and SiCo barrel w/TBRCI Micro comp and granted I haven't cut/trimmed the ALS yet, but just playing with it the the mechanism locks up again midway through the draw and I'm almost positive it's catching in that space between the slide and the comp.  I can't screw the brake down any further without affecting the barrel lock up.  Is this a known issue or are there any remedies out there besides sell everything and jump off a cliff?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]

This was discussed on the Primary and secondary Facebook recently. I'll see what I can dig up on it later.
View Quote

Thanks I'd appreciate it, Google hasn't been very helpful thus far.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:

i tried mine this weekend and it stovepiped almost every round shooting 115grn Fiocchi, I will try some heavier loads next
View Quote

I saw the Primary Machine has a comp coming out soon. Per their facebook page, they were shooting a bunch of different brand 115gr stuff with success with the factory RSA. I can only assume that the PM comp isn't as effective as the KKM or TBRC since it seems be able to recoil sufficiently to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#43]
Got my Black Nitrided KKM Barrel in today from Weapon Outfitters, and although its going to be used in a Traditional Roland build with ATEI slide, I threw it in my Agency Arms G19 just to check It out.

Might have to ditch the threaded barrel/can from this gun and run it with a KKM barrel too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#46]

That's hot!

I ended up letting mine go since I didn't want to take a bunch of pics of it and not have any on hand for folks to have hahaha.  I'm waiting for my slide from ATEI too!  Just went with mounting, side serrations, and black nitride refinish myself.  Gonna start reselling ATEi services as a dealer now!
View Quote

The dealer struggle; I want to buy this but I also want to make money!

My super-aspie self requires me to build the gun as close to the "blueprint" as possible, at least when it comes to slide work. On mine I'm doing enhanced front and rear serrations, top serrations, and of course the RMR mount. Still debating who I'm going to get to do frame work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone ever cut and thread a G34 bbl for a G17?
View Quote

I've not done it but I know of people who have. Some of the aftermarket guys will actually use a 34 blank for a 17 threaded, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beardsli] [#48]

I would recommend against getting a MOS since it's a compromise solution (Sight mounted to a plate which is mounted to the slide), and really isn't as good as just paying the $160 to get a slide custom cut/fit to your specific RMR.  

The main benefit of getting the MOS is that you can mount a cheap red dot at first, then eventually mount a good red dot... thing is, a RMR or Delta Point Pro costs as much or more than the Glock!  If you're gonna spend that much, might as well get the best solution.
View Quote
When the choices are Dueck and MOS, I'd go MOS, but personally I went with ATEI. Their machining is very well done. 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Beardsli:
When the choices are Dueck and MOS, I'd go MOS, but personally I went with ATEI. Their machining is very well done. 

If you haven't chosen a shop to do something I wouldn't mind showing off ATEI's work if you're in WA.
View Quote

Based on my experiences of mounting RMRs on MOS guns I'm not a huge fan and would probably lean towards a Balor or Dueck. Obviously the best course of action is a specific mounting solution but the only real advantage of the MOS system is the modular part.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top