Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2016 6:02:00 PM EDT
Edit - 3-30-16

This thread is now about the Roland Special. Please post pics of yours if you have one.

Here's a good thread about the Roland Special -

Pistol Forum

Here's a Guns & Ammo article about the Roland Special -

G&A Article

Edit - I spoke too soon. I called up KKM just and spoke with a very nice gentleman. He said they've been waiting on the anodizing for the comps, and that the anodizer took way longer than suspected, that if I place my order, I should receive my barrel/comp combo late next week, as the comps will be there in the next day or two.

I'm looking to purchase a KKM G19 threaded barrel/compensator combo to finish my Roland Special build.

Trying to find a place where that combo is in stock, as the normal threaded barrel will not work, since the barrel that comes with the comp has flats for the set screws to engage.

Not wanting to order from KKM, as I've head it's taking people 2 months to get their orders.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Sounds about right. I haven't ordered in a few years from KKM but 3 barrels I do have were shipped within a few days and arrived with in a week from what I remember...

Great barrels BTW.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the name Roland, anyone know where that came from?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Note sure of "Roland", the one I've heard of is "Rowland" and it's a 45 cal. round - not something for the G19...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_Rowland

I found this - still doesn't explain the name...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/the-guns-network/the-roland-special-glock-19/
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Note sure of "Roland", the one I've heard of is "Rowland" and it's a 45 cal. round - not something for the G19...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/the-guns-network/the-roland-special-glock-19/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real-life classified unit badass who concocted this fine piece of terrorist killing weaponry has the first name of "Roland". Was designed for HRT ops, and as a CCW weapon for certain "tasks". That's about all I know. There's a 10 page thread about it on Primary & Secondary, where a few of the guys who work with Roland go into some more detail.

It's also been called the "Gunslinger Special" as well.

Pics of my Roland Special -

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Who did the front serrations on your slide?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The base gun was a Zev Defender. I just added the magwell, barrel, RMR and light.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
"Rowland" refers to Johnny Rowland who designed and developed the 460 Rowland round based off the 45ACP case that was lengthen 1/16 of an inch so as not to chamber in a 45ACP. The platform was originally put out by Clark Customs in LA.
It's supposed be close/compare to 41 magnum ballistics from a semi auto platform.
That being said I have on in an 1911 with loads I have worked up for 200gn xtp at 1450 fps. Buffalo Bore has some great rounds for it also.

EDIT: Nevermind Read it was a G19. You can get the drop in kits for a G21 now though
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The base gun was a Zev Defender. I just added the magwell, barrel, RMR and light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting - does your RMR base have some built in backup sights? Hard to tell from the pics.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting - does your RMR base have some built in backup sights? Hard to tell from the pics.

Bob S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Dueck Defense RBU.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Rowland" refers to Johnny Rowland who designed and developed the 460 Rowland round based off the 45ACP case that was lengthen 1/16 of an inch so as not to chamber in a 45ACP. The platform was originally put out by Clark Customs in LA.
It's supposed be close/compare to 41 magnum ballistics from a semi auto platform.
That being said I have on in an 1911 with loads I have worked up for 200gn xtp at 1450 fps. Buffalo Bore has some great rounds for it also.

EDIT: Nevermind Read it was a G19. You can get the drop in kits for a G21 now though
View Quote

The Roland Special and .460 Rowland conversions are separate entities.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dueck Defense RBU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Dueck Defense RBU.

This. I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I am having a hard time with the thought of a comped gun being used for carry work. The noise is atrocious and with the article specifically mentioning use with NVDs I would think the extra flash might be a problem. Those guns are hard to even be around with a good set of plugs or muffs I can't imagine going without.

Other than the comp I love the gun and hope to have a similar setup soon that will double as a suppressor host. The more common these setups become the better the red dots will become. Win win.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am having a hard time with the thought of a comped gun being used for carry work. The noise is atrocious and with the article specifically mentioning use with NVDs I would think the extra flash might be a problem. Those guns are hard to even be around with a good set of plugs or muffs I can't imagine going without.

Other than the comp I love the gun and hope to have a similar setup soon that will double as a suppressor host. The more common these setups become the better the red dots will become. Win win.
View Quote

Having put only 100 rounds thru mine, I will say that with cheap ammo like Federal aluminum, flash is there, but with Speer Gold Dots or good duty ammo, flash isn't bad at all. Concussion is a little more noticeable. More like a .40
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Any one see anything wrong with this picture?

Red

Hint - it is the top pic...recoil spring/guide rod
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
edit to remove the double tapped mo fo
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Why does it not surprise me that in the Guns & Ammo article there's a statement like this:  "Compact pistols like the Glock 19 are easier to shoot rapidly with a red dot sight because there is less slide travel."

Picking nits...

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why does it not surprise me that in the Guns & Ammo article there's a statement like this:  "Compact pistols like the Glock 19 are easier to shoot rapidly with a red dot sight because there is less slide travel."

Picking nits...

View Quote

Yeah I caught that. I was like "wtf?"
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Having put only 100 rounds thru mine, I will say that with cheap ammo like Federal aluminum, flash is there, but with Speer Gold Dots or good duty ammo, flash isn't bad at all. Concussion is a little more noticeable. More like a .40
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shot it at night with those loads?  After being around a lot of these guns in our local competition my opinion of the concussion is much worse than yours. I especially hate ROing the open guys when they turn a little sideways and you get full blast.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have you shot it at night with those loads?  After being around a lot of these guns in our local competition my opinion of the concussion is much worse than yours. I especially hate ROing the open guys when they turn a little sideways and you get full blast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, haven't shot it at night yet. This and all my other guns are mainly range toys, as the only gun I carry with is my issued G19.

As for concussion, I think it doesn't bother me as much as others.....I shoot my 11.5" Colt Commando SBR with a Surefire brake and don't even flinch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Roland is Stephen King's Gunslinger from the Dark Tower series. Maybe the originator is a fan? If the Tier 1 guy's name is Roland, he is technically a Gunslinger so the name works on multiple levels.

So, Airborne_Infantryman, since you have one how does it feel compared to something like a Glock 34/35? Have you had a chance to shoot both?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2016/03/special-collage-roland-2.jpg
Any one see anything wrong with this picture?

Red

Hint - it is the top pic...recoil spring/guide rod
View Quote

Looks like a standard Gen 4 dual recoil spring when the slide is locked back.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The article mentions that this is also called the "Gunslinger Special". Roland is a character from a Stephen King series called The Dark Tower. In the series, he is referred to as the gunslinger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Deschain

I assume that is the reference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The article mentions that this is also called the "Gunslinger Special". Roland is a character from a Stephen King series called The Dark Tower. In the series, he is referred to as the gunslinger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be funny if that was the true inspiration rather than Tier 1 operator
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I love the look of the Roland, and think it would be kickass to have as a range blaster or competition gun. But, reading through that article I've always wondered how people that need to be under that kind of discretion would carry a weapon like that outside of the waistband. I just always assumed that people in that line of work would need a "deep concealment" rig, not some big OWB holster. Am I that far off base here?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there anything special about the KKM barrel that interfaces with the comp in a certain way (like a flat area where that set screw goes or something like that) or could I use the comp with an s3f threaded barrel?

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is there anything special about the KKM barrel that interfaces with the comp in a certain way (like a flat area where that set screw goes or something like that) or could I use the comp with an s3f threaded barrel?

View Quote

I think it has a place for the set screw but it's been a while since I've seen one apart.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The comp is not threaded 1/2x28, I know this for certain.  I believe it is 9/16x32.

The barrel from KKM also has the threads closer to the end of the slide so the comp will snug up closer.

Not sure about the flats but I assume they are there, I'll know for sure in a week or so when mine arrives.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Some interesting reading on other forums about this.

In California it would be an assault weapon due to the threaded bbl. It does not matter doesn't if you are LE/military, making one in Clifornia would be "manufacturing an Assault Weapon." In theory a LE Agency could obtain a permit from CAL DOJ to manufacture an AW, but I've never seen one. Individual officers cannot even build rifles from striped lowers for duty use as it "manufacturing an AW." Simply putting a threaded bbl in a stock Glock would be the same charge.

The "Roland" AKA "Gunslinger" thing seems a tribute to the Dark Tower books. I wonder if we are being trolled, with stories of spec ops roller coaster lubrication expert like stories, again?

https://primaryandsecondary.com/staff/department/contributors/

Moot point for me. I can't build one in my state and even if I could I wouldn't want to fire it without ear pro.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Picking nits...

View Quote

I think they finished with than full sized guns like the 1911. I haven't measured slide travel on a 1911 vs Glock 19, so I don't know if they are wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Roland is Stephen King's Gunslinger from the Dark Tower series. Maybe the originator is a fan? If the Tier 1 guy's name is Roland, he is technically a Gunslinger.....
View Quote

I wondered if we are being trolled.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The KKM barrel and comp are proprietary to each other. It's a 9/16x32 thread pitch, and has flats for the two screws to interface and index the comp.

If you want a comp that's similar and can be used on an S3F Solutions barrel, take a look at the Carver 2-port comp.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's a dude.

Check out the Primary & Secondary podcast.

He's a trip.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's not...
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But it's not...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's not...

Anyone know how to find the earliest/first online reference to "Roland Special?" Im curious how/if the story has grown.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was probably a proprietary combo but it never hurts to ask.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think they finished with than full sized guns like the 1911. I haven't measured slide travel on a 1911 vs Glock 19, so I don't know if they are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Picking nits...

I think they are also meaning there is less reciprocating mass, and in theory, less slide (sight) "flip"... that is the same reason there is a comp on the gun: make it shoot flatter so you don't lose the dot. Not losing the dot=shooting faster. Although, the Glock 19 slide should have a shorter stroke than a G17/34, if you look at the RSA's of each gun side by side, so technically they are correct.

In my personal experience, if "feels" like a G19 cycles faster than a 17 or 34. I feel like I'm waiting for the sights of my 34 to "settle" after a shot, more than I am with my 19. Differences on a timer are less quantifiable, for me.

As for comps on carry guns: Remember, these are purpose built for a specific "mission"... I don't think they are necessarily saying this is the best solution for everyone.

Now that "gunsmithing" lowly glocks is a thing... it's only logical they get the same treatment as 1911's did in the 1990's ...

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]
This thing is awesome. I think I'm going to build one. Mm so tactical. So tier 1. Mmm
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#38]
The originators of this concept are the real deal. I own a rig built to these specs, and have to say that I'm quite the fan. No trolling going on at all with this thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The originators of this concept are the real deal. I own a rig built to these specs, and have to say that I'm quite the fan. No trolling going on at all with this thing.
View Quote

I'll believe it when pics start showing up in the Glocks in the military threads. Until then I suspect it's someone's pet project that caught on with the nut huggers and you are all being trolled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'll believe it when pics start showing up in the Glocks in the military threads. Until then I suspect it's someone's pet project that caught on with the nut huggers and you are all being trolled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several on here and on the linked pistol forum thread sure make it sound like this is all legit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Several on here and on the linked pistol forum thread sure make it sound like this is all legit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah there's some highly suspicious claims on that PF thread. Im not going to out anyone here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
He's a dude.

He's a trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a dude.

He's a trip.
Came here to post this....

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a dude.

He's a trip.

I suspect most of the weekend warriors here wouldn't fit in at Primary & Secondary.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I suspect most of the weekend warriors here wouldn't fit in at Primary & Secondary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a dude.

He's a trip.

Those are some impressive bios over there

https://primaryandsecondary.com/staff/roland-deschain/
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a dude.

He's a trip.

In my experience, most people in non-conventional units don't post their life story on the internet.

Hell, I wouldn't wouldn't post my resume either, and i was just a RSTA grunt. My Instagram is under the assumed identity of Boba Fett.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In my experience, most people in non-conventional units don't post their life story on the internet.

Hell, I wouldn't wouldn't post my resume either, and i was just a RSTA grunt. My Instagram is under the assumed identity of Boba Fett.
View Quote

Most people in non conventional units don't have time to waste of the internet.

But i think the link above blows the claims out of the water that the guns named after its inventor.  Its pretty clear to me its named after a book character. Now perhaps that book character is the adopted moniker of a former spec ops guy? But if there is confusion around that part, how much of the rest is bullshit? Hell the "inventor" might not even have said it was named after him. just leave some gaps in the story and the nut huggers will create their own versions to fit in the holes. Ive seen that in this industry plenty of times.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But i think the link above blows the claims out of the water that the guns named after its inventor.  Its pretty clear to me its named after a book character. Now perhaps that book character is the adopted moniker of a former spec ops guy? But if there is lies around that part, how much of the rest is bullshit? Hell the "inventor" might not even have said it was named after him. just leave some gaps in the sort and the nut hugger will create their own versions to fit in the holes. Ive seen that in this industry plenty of times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But i think the link above blows the claims out of the water that the guns named after its inventor.  Its pretty clear to me its named after a book character. Now perhaps that book character is the adopted moniker of a former spec ops guy? But if there is lies around that part, how much of the rest is bullshit? Hell the "inventor" might not even have said it was named after him. just leave some gaps in the sort and the nut hugger will create their own versions to fit in the holes. Ive seen that in this industry plenty of times.

The world may never know.

On another note, looking at the evolution of the Tactical world, most "innovation" is derived from competition concepts that have been around for years, until the tactical world picked it up, and refined it.

Look at the magwells, comps, flat triggers, etc. All competition innovations that have been around for a while, but have gained popularity.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#49]
My only further comment on this is that the Roland Special came about because of two men in particular. One I know personally, and consider a friend. When he says something is good, I pay very close attention, as he gets a lot of unobtanium through his hands. Think what you want to about this being a trolling piece or the like, but when folks like DocGKR and Chuck Haggard acknowledge this is a, "good idea," (tm), that's what may be considered a clue for some.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My only further comment on this is that the Roland Special came about because of two men in particular. One I know personally, and consider a friend. When he says something is good, I pay very close attention, as he gets a lot of unobtanium through his hands. Think what you want to about this being a trolling piece or the like, but when folks like DocGKR and Chuck Haggard acknowledge this is a, "good idea," (tm), that's what may be considered a clue for some.
View Quote

The naysayers here believe that any handgun with a red dot or comp is a travesty. There's no talking to them, Unfortunately.

I researched the Roland Special, built my own, and can see why it's such a great setup.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top