Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2014 10:46:01 AM EDT
I am a very new poster on the ar15.com forums, although lurking since 2011. Just got my own AR15 (Colt SP1) last weekend (Jan 4, 2014).
Happy to find the SKS sub-forum today (for the longest time I thought ar15.com was only for AR15 and AK47!), and just wanted to share this...

From sandbag benchrest. No wind. There were several initial rounds outside the black as I adjusted kentucky windage and sight picture to get these results.
I'm very satisfied with this rifle and the ammo. ...And not at all displeased with these 67YO eyes!

Someday I'll hit that dollar bill.

Now I need to shoot a comparison target with the Cheetah ammo I have been hoarding for many years.
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/shooting/Targets/2011Nov12_300yds_Wolf-ammo2_annotated-WEB.jpg
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For 300yrds that's pretty damn good.
View Quote

I agree that's very good for that range. I just got mine sighted in at 50 next is 100 then 200 lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the basement of the AK subforum.  Pretty good shooting for steel cased ammo.  Pics of gun?  Model?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Welcome to the basement of the AK subforum.  Pretty good shooting for steel cased ammo.  Pics of gun?  Model?
View Quote

Thanks!
I'd have to guess at the model: PAP M59/66???
All visible s/n match: receiver, receiver cover, bolt carrier, magazine, trigger guard, buttstock. But I guess all matching s/n is pretty common with these?
Here's a pic.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/shooting/Semi-auto%20rifles/sks_right_profile2014jan4_for-web_zps6d4ce40b.jpg
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a 59/66A1 with the flip up night sights.  Damn good shooting for a Yugo, they aren't exactly known for their accuracy.  I need to try at 300 with my Para.  I got a similar sized group out of my AK at 300 bench rested.  Off hand I was able to put 9/10 on a 18x18 plate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
switch the gas cutoff, shoot it as a straight pull bolt action, and watch that group shrink in half.
View Quote

Interesting!
I wonder... would that also likely raise the POI a bit as well?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have never seen results from anyone that shows the same type of ammo used out of different makes of SKS's that would place the Yugo as being less accurate than others.

I have tested this theory with a Chinese, Russian and 2 Yugo 59/66's using Wolf ammo and the results were not conclusive enough to say one was more accurate than the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn good shooting for a Yugo, they aren't exactly known for their accuracy.

I have never seen results from anyone that shows the same type of ammo used out of different makes of SKS's that would place the Yugo as being less accurate than others.

I have tested this theory with a Chinese, Russian and 2 Yugo 59/66's using Wolf ammo and the results were not conclusive enough to say one was more accurate than the other.

Didn't mean that in a negative way, I was referring to the non chrome lined barrels combined with the grenade launching attachment.  None of the SKS variants are super tack drivers, like the AK they were designed for Minute of Man at 300.  OPs Yugo did a bit better than that.  

Not trying to jack this thread, but since you mentioned accuracy testing, have you tested the Para against a standard /26\?  I've read on more than one board where some folks claim they are more accurate with the shorter barrels, maybe a 123g bullet likes the shorter barrel?  Have you done any chrono testing?  I am very interested in any information you can provide.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#12]
When the shooter has a good day(Me), My Yugo is minute of milkjug  at 250-275 yards consistantly.  With my old eyes that pushing it now a days.   Have to put it on paper at that distance, maybe I need to to see what it really able to do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, thats some damn good shootn'.  300 yards?  wow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned up to 40 SKS at the same time over the years. To compare guns with the same brand of ammo, you MUST be positive that you use the same lot#.
I have used 1000 round cases of Wolf, Wolf MC, the original MFS 126gr Military, and Yugo M67.

First off, at 300 yards the para accuracy dropped off rather dramatically for me. Did not run it for these tests.

For testing I used a Yugo M59, Yugo M59/66A1, Romanian, Russian, and Chinese. They finished in this order.  20 rounds of each ammo listed above over an * hour time to let guns cool evenly each.
1. Yugo M59
2. Romanian
3. Russian, Chinese, and the Yugo M59/66A1 were tied at third.

I just repeated the test again 2 years ago. Same exact results.

Accuracy by Ammo, both tests.
1. Yugo M67 and MFS Military tied.
2. Wolf MC
3. Wolf (Black Box)
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I used a Caldwell front rifle rest and  bags at the rear.  Range was 100 yards. I use the same for my Swedish Mausers also.
Works well for me. May not be scientific this way, but gave me enough info on a number of my rifles.

I'm going to do the same comparison with about 10 of my Swedes this Spring if Winter ever ends. Takes time, but being retired helps with that!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going to do the same comparison with about 10 of my Swedes this Spring if Winter ever ends. Takes time, but being retired helps with that!
View Quote

I will be very interested in the Swede results. Where will you post that info? (I have 13 Swedes, about 1/2 and 1/2 M96 and M38, with two M94s and a CG63. Are yours all same model?)
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure where here would be appropriate.

But I have Husqvarna M38 in all years except 1944. One M96/38. 1943 and 1944 Husqvarna M96 rifles. I only need the 1944 M38 to complete a sweep of Husqvarna rifles.

The rest are all M96. Includes most of the top 10 on the rarity chart. A couple of the M96 are Air Force and Coastal Artillery rifles. All of my 18 Swedes are collector grade, so I don't shoot all of them. And some rarely.

Now, cannot really buy a lot of commercial ammo for a trial. I basically had to go to reloading. I might just use a couple of my favorite loads. Using about 3 different 140gr bullets. And two or three powders. Bullets from same lot. Powder from same lot. Probably use 1985 Swedish brass as I have a lot of that on hand. Will shoot some Prvi also.
Most commercial ammo is pretty hot and designed for newer rifles. Variety is limited.

From what I seem to see in the last 60 years of shooting is that the powder variance from one lot to another can be dramatic. I have pulled bullets from X39 and weighed the bullet, brass and powder. From various lots. From cut and color of powder and quantity, they can vary a lot. I find some variance in all components of this commercial Russian import ammo. Enough to make a bit of accuracy variance in different lots.Take Wolf or any of the Russian names. They buy from a bunch of different plants and in different countries. So, you just don't know any more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not sure where here would be appropriate.

But I have Husqvarna M38 in all years except 1944. One M96/38. 1943 and 1944 Husqvarna M96 rifles. I only need the 1944 M38 to complete a sweep of Husqvarna rifles.

The rest are all M96. Includes most of the top 10 on the rarity chart. A couple of the M96 are Air Force and Coastal Artillery rifles. All of my 18 Swedes are collector grade, so I don't shoot all of them. And some rarely.

Now, cannot really buy a lot of commercial ammo for a trial. I basically had to go to reloading. I might just use a couple of my favorite loads. Using about 3 different 140gr bullets. And two or three powders. Bullets from same lot. Powder from same lot. Probably use 1985 Swedish brass as I have a lot of that on hand. Will shoot some Prvi also.
Most commercial ammo is pretty hot and designed for newer rifles. Variety is limited.

From what I seem to see in the last 60 years of shooting is that the powder variance from one lot to another can be dramatic. I have pulled bullets from X39 and weighed the bullet, brass and powder. From various lots. From cut and color of powder and quantity, they can vary a lot. I find some variance in all components of this commercial Russian import ammo. Enough to make a bit of accuracy variance in different lots.Take Wolf or any of the Russian names. They buy from a bunch of different plants and in different countries. So, you just don't know any more.
View Quote

Your Swede collection is very admirable. Good luck finding the 1944 Husqvarna. I have 1941 M38 and 1943 M96 Husqvarnas; the 1941 is a supposed "FSR" rifle.
Good info on the ammo. I have used IMR4064 exclusively, in once-fired FNM brass with 140gr SMK HPBTs with very good results (4x4-inch group at 300 yards), but also have some new Remington cases, and some Nosler and Lapua projectiles.
Whenever you do get around to the Swede testing, I'd appreciate a note (PM me) with the results or link to a post. How about over in http://forums.gunboards.com/?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
alamo, that is my Swede hang out.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top