Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 1:51:42 AM EDT
Recently purchased here in Russia a new Molot's Vepr SOK V1 - semi-auto-only RPK-74M version in .223. A rather heavy but very pretty rifle.
The rifle was shipped with ten 10-rd box mags and one 10rd factory fake drum mag. Stock is folding, made of polyamide. A optic rail on left receiver side will be later used with Cobra red dot.

I plan use my 1V for IPSC insted of my AK104/1. Will inform You on my progress.

If you have any questions on this rifle – please feel free to ask.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
what are the laws in Russia for owning a firearm?  just curious, never heard it mentioned on here.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you take some close-up pics of the rear of the receiver so that we can see the difference between yours and our slant-cut VEPRs?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
that is fucking sweet
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That is simply awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what are the laws in Russia for owning a firearm?  just curious, never heard it mentioned on here.
-mark

Hi, Mark!

Concerning gun laws in Russia:
Any law-abiding citizen of 18 years old and elder may receive a permit to own and carry a shotgun for sporting purposes. Shotgun must have receiver and barrel length of at least 20 inches, and must be capable of firing only if it’s length is over 31 inches (i.e. a special safety is engaged when stock of folding-stock shotgun is folded or detached). Magazine capacity must not exceed 10 rounds, no full-auto weapons are legal. Each shotgun possessed must be registered in police. Weapon must be stored at home under lock. Weapon must be transported (in car or bag) unloaded, and can be loaded only at home, range or hunting ground.
After five years of owning a shotgun, a person may receive a permit to own a rifle, with the same limitations: at least 20 inches long with stock folded (non-firing position), 31 inches with stock extended. No full-auto, no mags above 10rd.
Total number of shotguns a person may possess is five, total number of rifles – also five. If a person receives a collector’s permit, he may own an unlimited number of rifles and shotguns, but receiving such license is rather complicated: I know only two people with such licenses among about two hundred shooters i know.
Another license a person may perceive is a license to carry of less-lethal weapons. These weapons are basically different handguns converted to shoot rubber of plastic projectile only, and they are declared to be not capable to kill if shooting in center-mass.
Owning “real” handguns by individuals is not allowed, though handgun may be owned by a shooting club, and stored there. Currently there is only one certified model of centerfire handguns legal for civil clubs – Viking MP446 in 9x19, but we all hope that this part of law is to be changed in sometime.
We also expect a legalization of high-capacity magazines for IPSC shooters in nearest time, because currently the law demands to load not more than 10rd in all our guns.
If You have any other questions on guns in Russia – please ask.

Concerning close-up photos of my new Vepr – I’ll make them in a few days, when I get some camera. Here is a close-up from russian 'Kalibr' magazine - sorry for the quality.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats a nice gun man. How does she shoot?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Why cant they import that here with a ten round mag and we convert it here like the other stuff? I tell you I scratch my head sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats awesome. Wish we could get those imported here. Is that drum mag able to be taken apart?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet. Very nice indeed. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why cant they import that here with a ten round mag and we convert it here like the other stuff? I tell you I scratch my head sometimes.

I think it has to do with the ATF definition of a VEPR, which is on the short list of importable rifles from Russia. According to RA, there are several other versions of the VEPR that are simply not allowed under the current trade agreement. What would be nice would be a 24" barrel VEPR, which would be legal as long as that was the only difference at the time of importation, and for Rob. Arm. to manufacture more traditional looking U.S. made RPK furniture for it. (HINT HINT)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Vepr SOK V1

I want one of those.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it has to do with the ATF definition of a VEPR, which is on the short list of importable rifles from Russia. According to RA, there are several other versions of the VEPR that are simply not allowed under the current trade agreement. What would be nice would be a 24" barrel VEPR, which would be legal as long as that was the only difference at the time of importation, and for Rob. Arm. to manufacture more traditional looking U.S. made RPK furniture for it. (HINT HINT)

Yes Hint Hint HINT!!!!!!!

Traditional Drag furniture on the .308 would be cool too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Recently purchased here in Russia a new Molot's Vepr SOK V1 - semi-auto-only RPK-74M version in .223. A rather heavy but very pretty rifle.
The rifle was shipped with ten 10-rd box mags and one 10rd factory fake drum mag. Stock is folding, made of polyamide. A optic rail on left receiver side will be later used with Cobra red dot.
talks.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/000185/thm/185543.jpg

I plan use my 1V for IPSC insted of my AK104/1. Will inform You on my progress.

If you have any questions on this rifle – please feel free to ask.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin

If that is an out door type range you are at it looks like a nice range. The one I go to is just wood tables in the middle of the desert heat with the sun beating down on you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Sergei-

Dont know if they sell them in Russia, but in Germany they sell 10rd in 45rd body magazines for the Vepr 1V in .223.. They are Molot made. Dont know if its something that would interest you....

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes Hint Hint HINT!!!!!!!

Traditional Drag furniture on the .308 would be cool too.

Hey Genghis, I posted a comment on Robinson Arm. website VEPR Forum Feel free to add comments. Maybe if they see enough interest they will consider it. Title is "RPK, sorry to rehash an old subject"
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice rifle Sergey,  

I'm curious to see whats available in Russia MOLOT and how it compares to what the VEPR is here, is there a website?

Are you allowed to do any reloading of  any kind?

What is the most popular hunting rifle?

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Podgirin,

Are your magazines double or single stack? Could you show a picture of the top of one of them?

They are double stack.

I tried to import one of these exact rifles to the USA from Germany. ATF said no, no matter what modifications I did. First they said it was not sporting, then said that it was not on the approved list...

ETA-
For those interested, here are some more pics of the Vepr 1v/RPK74M-

45rd .223 mags-

10rd "drum mags"-

Close ups of the rifle itself-

Heres a copy of the pic I sent the ATF for importation.. They still kicked it back.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Stottman. Nice try!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
What do those cost (10rd-45rd body mag/RPK74M) in US or Euro's?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Some more images of my SOK 1V.

1MOA targets shot from rest at 55yards (100yards test is expected by next weekend).

Most 3-shot groups are 0.75”-1.5”. Ammo is Wolf 62gr HP. Sight is WW2-era design PO3.5. I guess that with better optics and better ammo I could shot twice as good. May be worse.

SOK 1V compared to Saiga MK03 (AK104/1). Both with Cobra red dot sights:

Someone asked for that - back of the receiver 1 and 2:

BTW six-years old daughter of my colleague could easily put ten rounds in 5" circle. I was impressed. :)

Another pic of me and my new toy:

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey, your Saiga/104 looks great. Did the Izhmash SWAT pistol grip come with it or did you add it later. Do you know if these grips are being used on any issue weapons?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey, your Saiga/104 looks great. Did the Izhmash SWAT pistol grip come with it or did you add it later. Do you know if these grips are being used on any issue weapons?

That is the question I have had for some time????

I have seen them on some factory M3 rifles but, nothing concrete on issue weapons.

I tried to mount one on my Saiga 20C but it looked funky with the re-inforcement plate. They are much wider that the standard P-grip. Alot of guys were putting them on the Saiga 12C shotguns as they didnt have the re-inforcement plate and were a natural fit.

Here are some up close pics of some of the modernized grips.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes I have one that I bought from Tantal and I must say it is not only great looking but the best feeling grip I've ever tried on an AK. It is a natural on my SLR-105R. I wa wondering about the PG reinforcing plate thing as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Sergey,
Thanks for the pics and info. Much appreciated.

I do have a question about the gas piston on your RPK.

Is your RPK gas piston the solid head type?
Like this.

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yes I have one that I bought from Tantal and I must say it is not only great looking but the best feeling grip I've ever tried on an AK. It is a natural on my SLR-105R. I wa wondering about the PG reinforcing plate thing as well.

Agreed! It is just a little wide when being used with the plate, and you are able to see a space. Just looked a little wierd.

Most comfortable AK grip I have ever owned though.

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Sergey, thats very interesting. Please keep us updated and be sure and take a great deal of pictures. We love pictures of Russian AK's!
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Hi!

Izhmash SWAT pistol grip (we call it "a six-finger grip") are installed by Izhmash on only one stock weapon - Saiga12K Tactica shotgun. All other weapons are produced with stock AK grip only, and ergo grips are installed by users themselves. Most LE issue weapons (AK74, AKS74U, Bizon SMG etc.) have stock grips, unless ergogip is installed by enduser.

BTW, a few years ago I had the same problem when installing Izhmas ergogrip on my Saiga-20K. Later, the grip was installed on Saiga12K without problems.

Concerning MK03 on photoes - it is not my one. My has Ultimak M16A2-style grip, that is unfortunatly not produced anymore. That was the best AK grip I've ever seen.

Quoted:

Right one - without grooves.

More photoes are one the way in a few days - to be continued.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Podgirin

Quoted:

Right one - without grooves.

More photoes are one the way in a few days - to be continued.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin

Much appreciated Sergey....

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics.

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top