BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/15/2010 9:35:11 AM EDT
I just got back from Centerfire a couple hours ago to pick up one of the AK-74's. As of about 10;30, the guy in customer pick-up said they only had 8 left and if anyone called, they would be told they were sold out. Im not big on Century guns, but they definately got thier act together on these!! Nothing canted, everything looks great. Just alot of cosmo to clean off. Anyway, the guy said they have sold over 1000 of them. Im just lucky I got mine when I did!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#1]
yep...same here. Got mine on Friday...no cosmoline on mine at all. In fact, it looked as if it had come through the detailing shop inside and out...I mean it literally looks brand new, just a light parkerized finish. Just bought a 'spam can' of the surplus stuff online...so maybe a shooting report by weekend's time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
DO they shoot and shoot and shoot?
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DO they shoot and shoot and shoot?

I hope to find that out this weekend!!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I also picked one of these up from Centerfire and we (the gun store that did the transfer and myself) were suprised at the build quality on these.  

I'm going to try to get mine out this weekend for some range time.  I picked up a crate of 5.45 the day after I picked it up, but haven't had time to shoot the 74 yet.

I should have bought a couple more!

It looks like on their site they still have AK74's listed for $349.99 on sale, but the picture doesn't show a scope rail on it.  Dunno.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Im gonna be the guinea pig on this one. Ordered today.
This next batch does not have the side rail scope mount, which doesnt bother me in the slightest (ultimak!) and is on an elk river receiver rather than nodak spud.
As long as everything is straight and it shoots proper ill be happy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
damn...i hope the batch that they say sold out of yesterday or so/shipped out monday has the optics rail. I'll be very bummed if they don't.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
According to an email i received from Magnus over at centerfire, the differences between the batch that sold out on monday and what they have in stock now are the receiver, stock, and lack of side rail. So i would venture to guess if you got one of the 74s with the NDS receiver you should have the side rail.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
good deal. I was looking into a russian red-dot for her and was kinda worried. Plus I've got some other nodak stuff and have more faith in their receiver because of that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Where can you find a side scope mount that is quick detachable? Would like to try one of my scopes on it as well as my cheap red dot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
/well, they're all "quick detachable" as far as being held on by a lever...lots of companies make ak mounts tho...wish i could tell u more, just new to the tacticool ak
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got my four spam cans of ammo in today!!  Counting the hours to saturday!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
For those of you who purchased them on the website and did not pick them up locally, how long did it take to receive the rifle?
Im just curious as this is my first foray into the world of internet gun buying. I sent them all the info for the FFL transfer and have the order confirmation but no shipping confirmation, then again its only been a few days. I feel like a kid before christmas.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For those of you who purchased them on the website and did not pick them up locally, how long did it take to receive the rifle?

I purchased mine online from Centerfire on 3/10 while on my lunch break.  It arrived at my FFL this morning about 1030.  I picked it up about 1130 (it's a beauty!).  That's eight days including a weekend for a backordered item.  Not bad at all.

Don't hold your breath waiting for shipping confirmation.  I called yesterday to find out the status (due to it being backordered) and was told it shipped Monday, but running the tracking number shows it went out on Tuesday.  While I had them on the phone I also inquired about the spare mags ordered at the same time and was told they were shipping that afternoon.  My mail lady delivered them about two hours later.

Centerfire has done a good job for me every time I order from them, but shipping information is always scarce and usually incorrect when you do get it.  As long as I get my stuff I can live with it.

Added note.  My package showed up today without a copy of their (Centerfire's) FFL in it.  FFL's have to have a current copy of each other's paperwork to do a transfer of this type and it took three phone calls from the store to get one faxed.  You might want to check before you go get yours to prevent having to wait.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My FFL deals with them all the time and is ordering me one and a few for the shop on Friday. I guess I might as well get some mags and ammo while I wait. How are the mags from Centerfire? The AK-74 5.45x39 $9.99 ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered mine on Mon the 8th, and the first batch was gone, but another was shipped on Mon the 15th and I got mine the next day, and it is beautiful. I ordered mine, and they said it would be backordered, and I was expecting it owuld take a while, but I'm glad it didnt. I'm ready for this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How are the mags from Centerfire? The AK-74 5.45x39 $9.99 ones.

I got the four mags plus a pouch for $39.99 deal.  They're marked "made in Bulgaria" and have a real thick, poorly applied black paint job on top of gray primer on top of plum bakelite/polymer.  They all look to be in excellent condition except that after stripping the paint you can see where the arsenal markings have been sanded off by some monkey with a sheet of 80 grit.  The functional checks will have to wait until tomorrow at lunchtime.  As long as they feed well I'll be happy and order some more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the four mags plus a pouch for $39.99 deal.  They're marked "made in Bulgaria" and have a real thick, poorly applied black paint job on top of gray primer on top of plum bakelite/polymer.  They all look to be in excellent condition except that after stripping the paint you can see where the arsenal markings have been sanded off by some monkey with a sheet of 80 grit.  The functional checks will have to wait until tomorrow at lunchtime.  As long as they feed well I'll be happy and order some more.

I heard they were "sanitized" mags having all the markings sanded off. What did you use to strip the paint off?
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard they were "sanitized" mags having all the markings sanded off. What did you use to strip the paint off?

Centerfire mags stripped with Citristrip.

great stuff

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I got mine in before the first batch was out. Built on the NDS-2 with the side rail.....looked absolutely gorgeous (other than the fugly Century furniture). Slapped some original Bulgarian Plum furniture on it (still has Tapco FCG, NDS-2, Barrel...which IS 5.45, and pistol grip for 922r). Finish was excellent as well. Got 5 mags with mine. 2 Circle 10 black, 2 Circle 21 black, and one circle 21 brown.

Best Century gun I have ever seen!
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine should be in on Monday or Tuesday. I ordered 4 of the $9.99 mags as well and 4 mags from CDNN. They were running a $5.99 shipping special this weekend only on any order so I went with the new Bulgarian mags. My FFL gave me a great deal on two span cans of Russian surplus ammo. Now all I will need to do is replace the fugly Century furniture with a KVAR set.

Pics soon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Just FYI....these guns have an overload of 922r parts on them (stock set and PG - 3, Tapco FCG-3, Reciever, and Barrel for 8 total) when the come from century.....I would consider getting some original Bulgy wood or plum/black plastic from somewhere first. I got original Bulgy Plum stock for $82 from GB.....better than $110 before shipping for US made.....even though the Kvar ones are superb.

Just depends on how "original" you want them to look.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got to replace the ugly furniture on mine also. Still waiting on my can of ammo to show up hopefully not more than a few days more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Who has wood furniture kits?
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
We had to send one back for poor quality build issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I finally got to the range yesterday with my new Bulgy 74 that I got from Centerfire last monday. The rifle, as well as the mags, functioned flawlessy. I also had no problem with my E. German bakelite's. I do have to admit, it is very easy to burn alot of ammo in a short amount of time with these babies!! If you use the corrosive surplus, just be sure to clean thouroughly, as these DONT have chrome-lined barrels. The only thing I am honestly mad about is that accuracy and function were on par with my SGL-31, which I paid MUCH more for!! Oh well, live and learn I guess. LOL!!  I also have a new set of plum furniture on the way from kvar. Im just not to crazy about the black plastic thats on there now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who has wood furniture kits?

Several on gunbroker for $85 shipped....looked realy good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mine should be in on Monday or Tuesday. I ordered 4 of the $9.99 mags as well and 4 mags from CDNN. They were running a $5.99 shipping special this weekend only on any order so I went with the new Bulgarian mags. My FFL gave me a great deal on two span cans of Russian surplus ammo. Now all I will need to do is replace the fugly Century furniture with a KVAR set.

Pics soon.

UPS guy didn't have it today. Tuesday it is then.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anybody else bumpfired one of these? Mine would run straight through a mag right out of the box. Functions flawlessly. No ftfs or ftes. Love it already.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I received mine. It is one of the rifles from centerfire made with an elk river receiver rather than NDS.
Stripped cleaned lubed boresighted. Sights are straight. The build is really solid and everything fits extremely tight. Finish is good. Everything appears to be in pretty good shape. The furniture is fugly but easily replaceable.
My only complaint thus far is that one of the mags i received does not want to go in easily. Got one circle 21 and one circle 10. The circle 10 fIts like it is a tad bit too fat for the magwell however the circle 21 is fine. It appears it might improve with time/use or a few minutes with a dremmel. Just from me finger fucking it today it is easing in better as the plastic wears a bit.
I wont be able to shoot it until this weekend . Until then i cannot give a fully formed opinion but so far, for $350 i am very pleased.
If anyone is interested ill try and get some pics up after i take it to the range and get rid of this goddamn stock set.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I scored an un open spam can of Rusky surplus 5.45 for 110.00 from a local shop, however my 74 was not on the UPS truck. My FFL is pissed as well as I. Oh well, guess I'll get another spam can tomorrow.

UPDATE: FFL called this morning and said my 74 was in. Woo Hoo. Well, I got it and all I can say is it looks beautiful. The cheap furniture is fugly and will be replaced with some KVAR Bulgy trimmings.

Finish is outstanding. Nice deep black parking.
Receiver is Armory USA, with no scope base mount, very clean, no dings or tool marks
74 brake is chromed with the zig zag pattern openings up front on either side
All parts are nice and tight, no tool marks or blems
Barrel appears not to be chrome
FCG is Tapco G2 single hook.

Came with 2 Circle 21 mags. They appear new. Pictured are four more mags (new Circle 10's) from Cope's.

Even without shooting it yet, I think I'm in love.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Stupid question time. What cleaning kit do I get for 5.45???   A 5.56?
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#32]
D-tap, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Got mine today (well, yesterday now), looks good...everything is tight and well built it seems with a half-moon compensator. NDS-2 model...swapped out the furniture for a bulgy plum stock set (except for the pistol grip). The only complaint I have is a discoloration behind the safety, as if the parkerization was eaten away somehow, there's even a fingerprint etched into the finish, Dunno how it happened but I guess it doesn't matter. I've got some Norrell's for a retro ar project that should match the charcoal black color, guess I'll just finish the reciever with it while i do the other parts...or get some alumahyde and avoid baking. I kind of like the color, or I'd just look into some duracoat to make the whole thing black to simulate the original finish. Oh well, can't wait to see how she shoots this weekend if the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I received mine. It is one of the rifles from centerfire made with an elk river receiver rather than NDS.
Stripped cleaned lubed boresighted. Sights are straight. The build is really solid and everything fits extremely tight. Finish is good. Everything appears to be in pretty good shape. The furniture is fugly but easily replaceable.
My only complaint thus far is that one of the mags i received does not want to go in easily. Got one circle 21 and one circle 10. The circle 10 fIts like it is a tad bit too fat for the magwell however the circle 21 is fine. It appears it might improve with time/use or a few minutes with a dremmel. Just from me finger fucking it today it is easing in better as the plastic wears a bit.
I wont be able to shoot it until this weekend . Until then i cannot give a fully formed opinion but so far, for $350 i am very pleased.
If anyone is interested ill try and get some pics up after i take it to the range and get rid of this goddamn stock set.

Interesting...this is the third different receiver we've seen on the Centerfire 74s...Nodak, Elk River and now Armory USA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Interesting...this is the third different receiver we've seen on the Centerfire 74s...Nodak, Elk River and now Armory USA.

The Elk River and Armory USA are the same receiver. Elk River took over Armory USA/Global Trades receiver production a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I picked up another one thursday at Centerfire. My first was NDS, and this one is Armory USA.  Seems to be good quality, same as the first.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like I was the only one that had bad luck with these. Mine has a canted front site I did not notice it until I went to shoot it. It is canted to the right about 3-5 degrees and shoots about 12" to the left even with the post moved all the way to right left. Looks like I am going to have to send this one back.

––Adam
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#38]
You know I think mine has a canted from sight as well, I just noticed it today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stupid question time. What cleaning kit do I get for 5.45???   A 5.56?

I use a surplus M-16 cleaning kit for my 74.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Centerfire's website is again listing the Nodak versions as 'in stock', but the price has gone up $20 to $369.99. They are, however, throwing in an extra mag for a total of 3.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

Note the mystery furniture...decidedly not Tapco and no markings...but its definitely a solid build.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Centerfire's website is again listing the Nodak versions as 'in stock', but the price has gone up $20 to $369.99. They are, however, throwing in an extra mag for a total of 3.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

Note the mystery furniture...decidedly not Tapco and no markings...but its definitely a solid build.

Mine had a Tapco butt stock and unknown maker upper/lower front hand guards. The pistol grip was Century. All of it crap and replaced with KVAR Bulgy furniture.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Chalk me up as one of the few who got a rifle that keyholes. Put a bit over 120 rounds through it today at only 25 yards.
Seems to do it once the barrel gets hot.
Centerfire Systems return policy is No returns after ten days, so that option is out.
Ive never dealt with Century before. Maybe i should give them a call on monday.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Its funny as mine keyholed one session at 25 yards. Then the next time I got 1 keyhole out of 60 rounds shooting at 50 yards. I need to shoot it more to see if it is going to be a issue.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I am going back tomorrow to try shooting at a further distance and see what happens. It was extremely windy today so i didnt bother.
The main question on my mind right now, is if all else fails and im just stuck with a rifle that keyholes no matter what, how fucked am I?
Is this something Century may replace?
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#45]
WTF is with all theese rifles they key hole all of a sudden.  How hard is it to rifle a barrel with the proper twist ?!?!?!?  Its not like this is the dawn of rifle technology. We are talking about copying rifles that already work!!!

You guys should all get togather and file a class action law suite on theese assholes ( Im about as anti law suite as they come) but holy shit how much crap is the community going to put up with?
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Chalk me up as one of the few who got a rifle that keyholes. Put a bit over 120 rounds through it today at only 25 yards.
Centerfire Systems return policy is No returns after ten days, so that option is out.

What brand of ammo?

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Thinking about getting one right now, but I'm not sure if I can install a G2 trigger in that Nodak receiver. Does it need a new trigger? Will it have trigger slap? Which Nodak receiver do CAI use for the AK74 thats selling at Centerfire right now? Anyone have canted sights so far the nodak CAI build (the one with the siderail)? Was the ejector rail bent? Is it normal to have some bullets tumble out of this CAI AK74? Sorry I have so many questions, I hope someone answers to these questions because I don;t think I'm the only one with these questions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine came with a G2 fire control group as all of them should have. You should be good to go with it. My rail was not bent and as to the tumbling / keyhole issue, I will find out on Monday. The barrel passed the bullet test and I hand cycled 20 rounds without any issues. Action was pretty smooth out of the box. I will do some polishing after it shoot 200 rnds through it to confirm all is 100% with it.

When you get one, you are going to want to trash the fugly and substandard furniture it comes with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand of ammo?

Russian surplus. Mine passed the bullet test as well.
Going to take it back out today and try it with the brake removed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand of ammo?

Russian surplus. Mine passed the bullet test as well.
Going to take it back out today and try it with the brake removed.

Let us know and good luck. Hopefully it's not the barrel.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top