BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
WTF is with all theese rifles they key hole all of a sudden.  How hard is it to rifle a barrel with the proper twist ?!?!?!?  Its not like this is the dawn of rifle technology. We are talking about copying rifles that already work!!!

You guys should all get togather and file a class action law suite on theese assholes ( Im about as anti law suite as they come) but holy shit how much crap is the community going to put up with?

You're absolutely correct, of course.

The problem is that thousands of Bulgarian kits got unleashed in 2009, and Century, Lancaster and others needed to move these quickly.  And so, they threw the rifles together, slapped on aftermarket barrels that are fine when in-spec (and a disaster when they're not), and hoped for the best.

If you get one that works, you're good to go. If not, then you either get to send it back and HOPE they fix it, or make peace with the fact that you wasted $400-$500.  Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people who buy on price point alone.  Everyone is tempted by the possible "good deal".  They don't consider that if they were willing to just spend $200-$300 more, they could buy a much, much nicer rifle that will both shoot better AND be more likely to retain it's value.

I understand the allure of maybe getting a good $400 rifle.  But it's a gamble, which is the part some people don't figure out until they're sitting there with a rifle that doesn't work as advertised.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine shoots well and functions fine with no issues with Russian surplus 5.45 ammo.  (this is from the first batch with Nodak receivers and siderails).  (no keyholing, function problems or anything else that I saw in the first couple hundred rounds I put through it).

I guess I got lucky!

I have another one coming from Centerfire when the next batch comes in.  Hopefully my luck holds out!
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I openly admit i took a gamble on this one and knew well what could happen.
I took it out again today. Put at least 400 rounds through it and not a single keyhole when the barrel was cool or smoking hot. No problems at all. I took a photo of what it did yesterday, can be found in THIS THREAD
I can not explain it, but i hope it continues to perform as it should.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
i posted in that other thread as well.  i took a gamble and lost on the century bulgy ak74 from ceneterfire.  all appeared normal until i tried to cycle some rounds thru it.  no go.
it would not chamber a round.  instead it got held up less than half an inch from going all the way into battery.  not only that, but then the bolt would stick so bad on the non-chambered round that i had to remove the mag and beat on the bolt handle with a hammer to get it to eject.  the rifle is 100 % awesome in every regard (like fit, finish, other functions, tightness, whatever) except for that major problem.
i just got off the phone with Centerfire, they are mailing me a call tag for UPS to pick it up.    i will give it another shot.  IF the next one chambers a round, and IF it doesnt keyhole i will be happy.  IF it does, then i will send it back for good and ask for a refund.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
RANGE REPORT:

12:30 PM, SW Florida, Cecil Webb public gun range, 81 deg., light breeze (less than 5 mph.) 60% humidity

I scored 300 rounds of Wolf Military Classic 70gr 5.45 FMJ NON Corrosive from a local gun shop. I have no idea how old it was but the boxes looked good and decided to use it for my range outing.

OK, I tried the six mags I had (2 circle 21s the came with the AK and 4 circle 10s from Cope's). I got my AK74 from my FFL through Centerfire two weeks ago.

AK-74
Century built
Non chrome SS barrel
Armory USA marked receiver
Original furniture switched for KVAR Bulgy set (black)
AK74 zig zag brake (nice and tight)

Firing at 25yds, 50yds and 100yds. All 300 rounds went bang with no function problems. All hits accounted for on man sized paper targets, NO KEYHOLES at all three ranges cold and hot gun. No failures at all during this outing. The carrier did not impact the rear trunion and no deformation of any rivets. No strikes on the muzzle brake. The only issue I had was a very slight sight adjustment needed to the left. The sights are not canted and I did not have a front windage sight tool to adjust POI. With a bit of conpensating on my part, it hit where I wanted. Guessing at a 3.5" grouping at 100 yards without adjustments.

Overall, I am very happy with this rifle. I was worried there for a bit given some of the past reports, but I lucked out again rolling those Century dice. Since I did not use Corrosive ammo, I'm going to clean it in the morning. I wish everyone the best of luck with theirs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WTF is with all theese rifles they key hole all of a sudden.  How hard is it to rifle a barrel with the proper twist ?!?!?!?  Its not like this is the dawn of rifle technology. We are talking about copying rifles that already work!!!quote]

Poor manufacture techniques and quality control for starters.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is with all theese rifles they key hole all of a sudden.  How hard is it to rifle a barrel with the proper twist ?!?!?!?  Its not like this is the dawn of rifle technology. We are talking about copying rifles that already work!!!quote]

There are many causes to the keyhole problem. Bullet weight, low quality ammo (surplus might be an issue), rifle twist rate, miscut barrel (incorrect caliber 5.56/5.45), worn barrels, Etc.. Lancaster, Century and even the much loved Arsenal have had issues. I am no experts and lay no claim as to what is the problem, but from where I'm looking, it seems to be a problem all builders are having.

It would be nice to have a comprehensive review of say all three builders and their offerings with a full and detailed range report. I for one do not have the time to do this but if I did, I would.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many causes to the keyhole problem. Bullet weight, low quality ammo (surplus might be an issue), rifle twist rate, miscut barrel (incorrect caliber 5.56/5.45), worn barrels, Etc.. Lancaster, Century and even the much loved Arsenal have had issues. I am no experts and lay no claim as to what is the problem, but from where I'm looking, it seems to be a problem all builders are having.

It would be nice to have a comprehensive review of say all three builders and their offerings with a full and detailed range report. I for one do not have the time to do this but if I did, I would.

Of those 3 brands which are you more likely to have serious and  possibly dangerous problems with? Arsenal, Lancaster, or Century? Low quality parts e.g barrels, rivets on low price guns made with possibly worn out surplus parts may not be such a good deal especially if you get one that keyholes from the start or shoots itself to pieces in under 400 rounds. I keep thinking of the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute" with these guns. If you get one that works great!!!! But how long will it last and will it hold it's value?
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of those 3 brands which are you more likely to have serious and  possibly dangerous problems with? Arsenal, Lancaster, or Century? Low quality parts e.g barrels, rivets on low price guns made with possibly worn out surplus parts may not be such a good deal especially if you get one that keyholes from the start or shoots itself to pieces in under 400 rounds. I keep thinking of the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute" with these guns. If you get one that works great!!!! But how long will it last and will it hold it's value?

Over five years for one of my WASR 10s and a Yugo M70 built by Century. Thousands of rounds in each with no issues. Now I have the 74 and another WASR with 300+ rounds each through them. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Over five years for one of my WASR 10s and a Yugo M70 built by Century. Thousands of rounds in each with no issues. Now I have the 74 and another WASR with 300+ rounds each through them. So far, so good.

The WASR 10's are bulit in Romania and use commie barrels.(Century just opens up the mag. well). The Yugo has a commie barrel as I recall.

I would guess the keyhole problem is improper twist to handle the different bullet wieghts and/or the barrel not being manfactured within spec. for that caliber.

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The WASR 10's are bulit in Romania and use commie barrels.(Century just opens up the mag. well). The Yugo has a commie barrel as I recall.

I would guess the keyhole problem is improper twist to handle the different bullet wieghts and/or the barrel not being manfactured within spec. for that caliber.

On the WASR 10's, Century does more than just open the mag wells.  They also change out enough parts to make it 922R compliant for a nonsporting firearm after converting it from a 'sporting' firearm.

The Century Yugo M70's had new US made barrels and were built on Nodak receivers...or at least mine was along with the others I've seen or held.

What would really be interesting to know is who actually built the AK74's for Century.  Barrels aside (and issues with that seem to be a very smalll subset of people who have recieved them), for bargain basement rifles, they're actually pretty decent builds.

Of course, mileage and opinions may vary.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys since this was the Bulgarian section and the OP was about the Centerfire AK-74's I guessed wrongly it seems that everyone would know I was talking about the newer kit guns put out by Century and Lancaster and not the Wasr's. Sorry bout that . I still wonder about the guns and how long they'll last hopefully any problems are few and far between and they're good shooters. I'd take the bargain basement plunge again myself but my Lancaster 74 experience was bad enough to be very afraid of getting burned again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey guess what?  I picked up one of these with the Elk River receiver and the gun will not go into battery.  The spent cartridge gets stuck in the barrel with over half a centimeter still sticking out, preventing the bolt from closing on it.  To get the cartridge and bolt carrier unstuck (after racking) I have to pound on the B/C with a hammer to pop them out.  The only thing is this is a spent cartridge I'm trying this with.  Is this normal?

ETA pics of the problem...

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
That is not normal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Just out of curiosity have there been a lot of problems like keyholing regardless of the reason, oversized gas ports, out of spec chambers from East European barrels in the 5.54 caliber? Or is this strictly an American barrel phenomenon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity have there been a lot of problems like keyholing regardless of the reason, oversized gas ports, out of spec chambers from East European barrels in the 5.54 caliber? Or is this strictly an American barrel phenomenon.

The Lancaster rifles where the ones with the oversized gas ports, it didn't make the rifle keyhole but it slammed the bolt carrier into the rear trunnion causing the rifle to shoot itself apart.
I've never heard anything wrong with European barrels, only Americans barrels are the ones that have keyholing problems.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I cant speak for everyone, but I now have 2 of these rifles. One is a Nodak, the other is an Armory USA.  So far, I have put several hundred rounds of surplus through both, and neither has ever keyholed that I am aware of. Even after the barrel gets very hot. I really dont think the american-made barrels are the problem. The yugo M70's built by century have them, and I have never heard anyone say that they had a yugo that keyholes. Again, this is just speculation, but it could possibly be inconsistancys in the ammo. The surplus that I have is dated 1982. Maybe there were a few bad lots that were made and, because the ammo was in storage and never used, no one knew about it until now. Again, all of this is just a theory.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#18]
You are correct about the WASR 10's. They do in fact have the factory chrome lined barrels. My Yugo M70 however has a US Green Mtn. non chrome barrel (on a DCI receiver). I just obtained a new Bulgarian chrome lined barrel for a future swap out, however the US non chrome barrel my 74 has seems to be doing well. I ran another 400 rnds through it and as before, no stoppages or failures. I had one dud on the Rusky surplus but that was ammo. Centerfire has the 74s on their new catalog for $369.00. I may get another one.

The brown truck dropped off 10 AK74 mags from Centerfire last night. Sanitized 30rnd mags with a poorly applied coat of black paint. I'm going to strip them down and repaint (properly).

I wish I could find more of the Wolf Military Classic 5.45x39 70gr. ammo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guess what?  I picked up one of these with the Elk River receiver and the gun will not go into battery.  The spent cartridge gets stuck in the barrel with over half a centimeter still sticking out, preventing the bolt from closing on it.  To get the cartridge and bolt carrier unstuck (after racking) I have to pound on the B/C with a hammer to pop them out.  The only thing is this is a spent cartridge I'm trying this with.  Is this normal?

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k425/LPCVT/STUCKAMMO001.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k425/LPCVT/STUCKAMMO002.jpg

Mine does the EXACT same thing, except mine is built on a Nodak Spud receiver.   I called Centerfire on Monday and they were supposed to mail me a calltag so UPS will pick it up for return.  Hasnt arrived yet.
What a let down.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really dont think the american-made barrels are the problem. The yugo M70's built by century have them, and I have never heard anyone say that they had a yugo that keyholes. Again, this is just speculation, but it could possibly be inconsistancys in the ammo. .

The M70's are cal. 7.62x39. The key  hole issue seems to be with the American made barrels in cal. 5.45x39. I have shot commie surplus ammo of all kinds and stored under all conditons and never had a keyhole from bad ammo.

The problem is the American barrels and how they were manufactured.

Everyone of these AK74's we ordered had some type of problem. Some big we could not fix and had to send back and some small problems that we could.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k425/LPCVT/STUCKAMMO001.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k425/LPCVT/STUCKAMMO002.jpg

Mine does the EXACT same thing, except mine is built on a Nodak Spud receiver.   I called Centerfire on Monday and they were supposed to mail me a calltag so UPS will pick it up for return.  Hasnt arrived yet.
What a let down.  

They are sending me a UPS label  and a new gun as well.  I hope I don't have to pay a transfer fee again...
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Dropped about 400 more rnds through mine. Rusky surplus corrosive. No issues what so ever. I took mine to a local AK builder to have him look it over. He is not a fan of Century but he said mine was built correctly and could not any fault with it. I guess I lucked out on this one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Ditto, I love mine. Threw sand into the action and fired a total of ~400 rounds, some rapid fire. No issues.

Very nice NDS receiver, too.  Rails are tight and clean, bolt carrier cycles without excess wobble.

Serial Number J0016XX, very happy!!!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a second one on an NDS reciever Friday and got it out to the range today.  It shot flawlessly through a couple hundred rounds with no issues, no keyholing or anything else using surplus russian 5.45.

All in all, I'm very happy with the two I got.  I'm sorry to hear that other people have had issues with them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
thoughts on these claims from Arsenal?

Cliff notes, yes it's Nutnfancy's vid, yes the way he talks is annoying, but Yes the Arsenal rep does take apart one of these CAI Bulgy (Nodak) and describe some 'issues' including barrel checkering to put used barrels in the new reciever, used rusty Muzzle brake, used rusted barrel, miss matched kits.... thoughts on truth?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Picked mine up Thursday. Version 3.......Nodak receiver w/rail mount. Action was pretty dry. Put a little lube in it and ran 4-30 round mags through it today. No keyholes, FTF, FTE. Needed a sight tool, shooting maybe 4" to the right at 100 yds. and had to jack the sights up a bit. Hit a half-liter coke bottle numerous times and was tapping all around it. I'm more than sastified so far, especially for the $$$$ spent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRjk3Gs1hNU

Cliff notes, yes it's Nutnfancy's vid, yes the way he talks is annoying, but Yes the Arsenal rep does take apart one of these CAI Bulgy (Nodak) and describe some 'issues' including barrel checkering to put used barrels in the new reciever, used rusty Muzzle brake, used rusted barrel, miss matched kits.... thoughts on truth?

A couple of observations (not knocking arsenal...I have none and really wouldn't have gotten an AK74 if it wasn't cheap and surplus 5.45 wasn't cheap...)

The Century rifles were never labeled as being built with all new parts and I was pretty certain that it would be a mixmatch of parts.  Of course, this really makes them no different than any of the other thousands of AK's in this country that were assembled from parts kits and other bits and pieces.  Also, it is a new barrel...not a used rusty one and the knurling was to put new barrels in a used trunnion on a new reciever.

I had actually guessed what the knurling was for...saw that today when I was cleaning and having some limited machining experience figured it was something along those lines.  As long as it's headspaced and the barrel doesn't fall out, so be it.

The Century guns are slapped together into functional rifles, but they are by no means Arsenal quality, but then again, you're looking at a huge price difference between the two.  One is not trying to be the other.

The side by side in the video really is an apples to oranges comparison and really isn't a fair or balanced...it's sort of like comparing a stripped down used Ford Taurus with 100k on it to a new fully loaded Corvette.

Of course, as always, mileage and opinions may vary, but the two cheapo ones I have shoot well and have been alot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Arsenal makes a good AK, but after seeing this video I have completely lost my taste for their products, they do not need to cut down the competition.
even if their product is better they themselves are cheep in the way the carry themselves.

let the quality of you product sell itself, they carry themselves like the three stooges, Larry,Curly,and Moe.

Another example of him being full of himself was his slam on the Tapco G-2 trigger group, I have used them time and time again single and double hook,and have had good success
I personally know of one incident, that the Arsenal trigger group gave a owner trigger slap.

In all fairness Arsenal makes a great products, and Mr. Nutnfancy gives great reviews, I have learned a lot of good things from him in the past, and to tell you the truth I like him and what he stands for.

But on this review Moe, you let Larry & Curly get out of control, YOU BLEW IT, BIG TIME.

I have owned a Toyota pick up truck for 11 years now that truck has never let me down, granted the Cadillac or Lincoln town car are better vehicles, but the Toyota will always get the job done.

A couple of observations (not knocking arsenal...I have none and really wouldn't have gotten an AK74 if it wasn't cheap and surplus 5.45 wasn't cheap...)

The Century rifles were never labeled as being built with all new parts and I was pretty certain that it would be a mixmatch of parts.  Of course, this really makes them no different than any of the other thousands of AK's in this country that were assembled from parts kits and other bits and pieces.  Also, it is a new barrel...not a used rusty one and the knurling was to put new barrels in a used trunnion on a new reciever.

I had actually guessed what the knurling was for...saw that today when I was cleaning and having some limited machining experience figured it was something along those lines.  As long as it's headspaced and the barrel doesn't fall out, so be it.

The Century guns are slapped together into functional rifles, but they are by no means Arsenal quality, but then again, you're looking at a huge price difference between the two.  One is not trying to be the other.

The side by side in the video really is an apples to oranges comparison and really isn't a fair or balanced...it's sort of like comparing a stripped down used Ford Taurus with 100k on it to a new fully loaded Corvette.

Of course, as always, mileage and opinions may vary, but the two cheapo ones I have shoot well and have been alot of fun.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My 74 had a brand new US made barrel (no checkering) nice and bright bore and chamber. It is not chrome lined and appears to be SS. The 74 brake on mine was brand new and chromed inside. Note that it is the Zig Zag pattern and fits nice and tight on the rifle. It has a Armory US receiver and the parts it was built from appear new with no tool marks. The Bulgaria circle 10 stamp is on the barrel block/trunion or whatever it's called. The front sight post is easy to adjust and the rear sight looks new as well (just not inked in white as the Arsenal rifle was. The bolt and carrier are not numbered the same, however after almost 800 rnds through the rifle, no unusual wear indicated and the carrier does not slam into the rear trunion. It throws spent cases pretty far and cycles nice and smooth. All 10 of the mags I have for it lock up tight and work 100% (2 circle 21s that came with the rifle, four new circle 10s from Copes and four $9.99 sanitized plums from Centerfire which I stripped the paint off of)After swapping out the crappy Century/Tapco furniture for a proper Bulgy furniture kit from KVAR, it looks just like the Arsenal offerings.

I can only say that I got a great rifle and I am happy all the way around. More mags and 5.45 ammo in the future.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#30]
My Century NDS-2 AK-74, is built on the NODAK SPUD receiver, SN# J0013XX; no issues to to date, 2100 rounds down range so far, no FTF, no FTE. Did swap out fore end to K-Var and that's all I've done to it; sorry no horror stories. I know one person going through RR hell, and he based his purchase on internet "intell" (oxymoron????) that said that the Lancaster stuff was high speed low drag.........well so much for that advice; that being said he got his Century NDS-2 Friday, shot 200 rounds through it yesterday and he's happier than coyote in a gut pile. For what it is, the Century NDS-2 AK-74 (sample size of 5 so far) seems to be a good buy, based on my limited experince I'd sail again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Ordered mine Monday 4/12/10 and it came in on Thursday, 4/15.  I had asked the saleslady several times about the receiver.  She told me Centerfire was on their third batch of guns.  1st batch was Nodak receivers with optics rail, second batch was the Armory/Elk River without rails, and the third batch was back to Nodak with rails.  I'm very pleased with it.  It has a really even parkerized finish and the funiture is nice except that the lower handguard is really narrow and feels weird in your hand compared to wood handguards.  It does not have any knurling visible on the barrel where it comes through the trunnion and none of the gunk on the inside like the Arsenal video showed.  The sights are straight but the muzzle break is not a zigzag pattern (the best I can tell).  Unlike some have reported, I'm pretty sure two of my three mags were new and not painted.  I got two "Circle 10" mags and one "Cirlcle 21".  The "Circle 21" only shows minor wear and would qualify for VeryGood to Excellent.  I took it to the range today to make sure it wasn't going to keyhole and it did NOT.  I shot 40 rounds of Russian surplus and it ran 100% with no FTFd, FTE, or FTFr.  At 50 yards the sights were off a half inch right and about 8 inches high.  The biggest problem I had all day was I broke the edge guide off my surplus Spam can opener and it took about 20 minutes to get my ammo out.
http://www.subgunner.com/images/AK74.jpg
http://www.subgunner.com/images/AK74
http://www.subgunner.com/images/AK74
http://www.subgunner.com/images/Target.jpg
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine is a Third Batch NoDak build too. Performed perfectly at the range using old Tula Cartridge Work white box "Hunting" 70-grainer FMJ and milsurp 7N6 ball.

Printed surprisingly tight groups well within acceptable Soviet Army standard, lots of holes touching.

While cleaning up this mixmaster, I started adding up current market costs to various assemblies, subassemblies, gun smithing, and distribution costs only to conclude Centerfire Systems and Century cannot offer these at their current price and make any $$$. When such economic behavior is endulged en masse we call it "dumping."

My product review for this carbine: Two clenched fist salutes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]
i just put in order for 1 today, should be here on thusday if they ship it today, hopefully i don't have to send them back.  this is my 2nd rifle this month, and today i just saw another deal on HI POINT 995 carbine, i might pull the trigger on this one too! GOSH, how come all the good deal happens all in the same month!

have a nice day!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
if you get a chance watch the movie the lord of war.they probally buy this stuff by the pound.they would not stay in business if they were losing money.maybe they are going on the theory that if they price them cheap enough they will sell quanty.its like better to make $50 on a rifle and sell 1000 of them instead of trying to make $300 a rifle and sell 100 of them.that is my guess.i am 1 of those poor guys who ordered 1 and the ad said comes with side rail and then they changed it to no rail while my order was in progress.i had already got a kobra for it so i wanted the rail.well it came in with no rail.built on a elk river receiver.fit and finish was excellent.took it to the range.150 rds fired,accurate and no malfuntions or key holeing.i call and i am told i could wait for next batch with rails.i figure why take a chance,rifle preforms to well to return it.they send me a rail.i installed it.another fun thing happened when i went to clean it gas tube lever would not budge.pressed to tight.tapped it with a small hammer to get it to move and it breaks.looks paper thin to me.now problem again,send it back or not.screw it i ordered a lever from kvar for $8 and installed it myself.got a set of bugly wood furniture,stripped it stained it with red oak finished it with satin poly.looks great.back to the range to sight in the cobra.was using rusky surplus.i think this rifle was a steal for $349 free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Got mine yesterday. Bore was really dirty, was afraid it was surface rust but came out nice and shiny w/no pitting. Definitely a mix of parts as not a single number matches. The receiver's a Nodal spud J0027XX and the only issue I have is some uneven finish on one side of the receiver, it almost looks like baked on oil not unlike a seasoned cast iron pot across one side. I've yet to shoot it but there appears to have a little bit of an interference fit between the bolt carrier and the dust cover that a little tweaking on the cover should fix.

I'm going to look at the KVAR wood and decide if I want to spend the cash or leave as-is.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is a good review for the Century AK-74.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcbtGPpeQw
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#37]
you can buy a complete stock set on the ee board for $30,then just refinish it,i did mine and it came out great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
just pick up this rifle today from my FFL guy, the rifle appears to be brand new, no monkey wrench marks, or machine marks, no canted front sights, it is built on NDS reciever with side rail, they did a very good job on the finish, all 3 mags appears to be new. zigzag brake, looks brand new too, i'll update some pictures when the draft is over.  maybe centerfire guys knew it was Arsenal ordering, so they shipped them a crappy one. LOL.  going to the range on sunday, hopefully it shoots good too!
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#39]
What happened to that Nutnfancy Arsenal review, I can't pull it up ???

I cooked up some popcorn just to have a show for my friends, and it seems they removed it ???

I love to here a honest salesman talk, MR. English is the most honest salesman in a long time, he is a real credit to the Arsenal name.

I believe every word he said is truth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got one of the third batch NDS -2 rifles as well.

Other than the barrrel heating up fast, it's been the best $400 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Got mine a week ago from Centerfire, and couldn't be happier with both their service, and the quality of the rifle. I did replace the furniture, but was really impressed with what the rifle came with. Just wanted to have a rifle that felt, and looked more correct.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Hey all

I will post this in the ammo section, but, I think this is a good place, as well.

With all of the good reports on this buget rifle....hmmmm.....maybe I'll pick one up.

So, they ARE built on Nodak spud recievers, the current builds? If so, and there's a rail, it hard not to make the call.

ONE QUESTION:
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey all

I will post this in the ammo section, but, I think this is a good place, as well.

With all of the good reports on this buget rifle....hmmmm.....maybe I'll pick one up.

So, they ARE built on Nodak spud recievers, the current builds? If so, and there's a rail, it hard not to make the call.

ONE QUESTION:

I cannot....cannot use ammo at my range with any steel at all. They give me the magnet test every time.

Where can I find 5.45 ammo that has ZERO steel in the bullet. This is a deal breaker for this purchase.

Thanks much
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally got mine out for a shoot. This first outting was for function check and magazine check; and I'm pleased to say the rifle did not disappoint. Shot 100 rnds of the 53 gr. Russian surplus through the '74 using 6 mags and it was 100%...no problems at all and no keyholing...just nice little round holes. As noted by one of the other members, it shot about 8-10 inches high @ 50 yards, though the windage was spot on; simply a line of holes as it marched down with a low hold. Gotta get me a sight tool and fix elevation on the front post. Otherwise, it would appear that this is indeed a great buy. If I had one gripe, it would be that the trigger is much too light...bordering on dangerous. I'd be surprised if the weight on that trigger is anything over 3 lbs.

Question:does the 8 inches over at 50 equate to spot on at 100 or beyond? I didn't get a chnace to shoot it @ 100.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#46]
A buddy of mine grabed one as soon as he found out about the sweet deal on them although when we took it to the range we did find out the front sight was canted -_-. He talked to centerfire and they sent him out a box and swaped out the rifle for another brand new one right away and it seems good. He may have gotten one of the lemons out there the first time but centerfires customer service is pretty good about it all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I just got my second one in today, or my trade-in, rather.  The first had a twisted receiver, so the barrel veered off to the left at a ridiculous angle.  The replacement I got today was honestly the dirtiest bore I have ever cleaned.  Looks like it may be a return from another customer that they have "recycled" and sent out to me.  The build does appear to be solid; the only thing I'm worried about is key holing.  I'm sure that if it's a prior return, there was a reason for it.  I'll take it out to the range tomorrow and find out if Centerfire tried to f**k me again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just got my second one in today, or my trade-in, rather.  The first had a twisted receiver, so the barrel veered off to the left at a ridiculous angle.  The replacement I got today was honestly the dirtiest bore I have ever cleaned.  Looks like it may be a return from another customer that they have "recycled" and sent out to me.  The build does appear to be solid; the only thing I'm worried about is key holing.  I'm sure that if it's a prior return, there was a reason for it.  I'll take it out to the range tomorrow and find out if Centerfire tried to f**k me again.

I think most of them probably did have dirty bores. The were test fired at the factory using corrosive ammo and never cleaned!!  
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think most of them probably did have dirty bores. The were test fired at the factory using corrosive ammo and never cleaned!!  

Do you have proof of this? A dirty barrel does not mean it is subject to corrosive ammo. Lets stick to FACTS please and not start crap. GD this that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Link Posted: 4/29/2010 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have proof of this? A dirty barrel does not mean it is subject to corrosive ammo. Lets stick to FACTS please and not start crap. GD this that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think he's correct, but I have no proof...

My bore was dirty, but Hoppe's didn't touch it. Took a few swipes with a bronze bore brush and Kroil to get shiny and the muzzle under the flash hider had a dusting of surface rust. Again, cleaned up fine with a little kroil and a bronze brush. Everything cleaned up fine, no worries from me.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top