Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2015 10:02:38 PM EDT
Gun is a Bulgarian '74 with original barrel on a NDS receiver, built by me. I was shooting this rig minus the optic and suppressor.

This is the first issue I've had of any kind with this gun. I've always shot 7n6, then I bought 1000 rounds of the Wolf 5.45x39 from Aim a couple weeks ago.

Had a click instead of a boom.

Far left is the misfire, center is a normal case that has been fired, right is unfired.

It seems like a really solid primer strike. Its got a deep crater. Primer on the fired one is flattened, which seems to be normal for this cartridge.

Opinions? Ammo? Gun?

I've had all kinds of problems with Wolf .223 in the past, mostly stuck cases and really low power rounds that won't cycle or lock open, which is why I only bought 1k rounds of this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a bad primer. I've had it happen a few times before with 7.62x39 Wolf a while ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you have an issue with subsequent rounds?

If not, it was probably just a dud round.  

I get those occasionally with Wolf/Tula/Etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooting Tula I have had about 10 hangfires and one squib that barely made it down the barrel, about 1/4 inch thank god/
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's Wolf it is not exactly quality ammo
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's Wolf.  I've had my fair share of Wolf duds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have this happen all the time with Chinese stuff back in the day too. Shit happens, Murphy's law, etc... Like stated above, unless it starts to happen a lot and with other ammo, it's probably just a dud.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never had any duds with wolf, but wouldn't be surprised if I ever do.  Happens one time?  I wouldn't even think twice about it.  If it becomes regular.. then it's time to investigate deeper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had any duds with wolf, but wouldn't be surprised if I ever do.  Happens one time?  I wouldn't even think twice about it.  If it becomes regular.. then it's time to investigate deeper.
View Quote

So far it's just the one, but I only ran 1 box of Wolf through that gun. My Krink has shot about 100 rounds of it with no issues yet.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to mentally file this, I also got a case of the wolf from AIM.  

Is it safe to try and fire that round again?  I would have given it another shot...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've run a few hundred of them through my 5.45 AR.  It's not consistent ammo at all.  I had to go down two buffer weights because it seems the loads were all over the place.  The gun ran 100% on 7n6.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
It's certainly the ammo. Just ran a bunch of that stuff through one of my krinks and had 1 misfire as well.  It was during a bump fire as well, though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Well this is exactly why I only bought 1k rounds.

Never had good luck with Wolf in .223.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it safe to try and fire that round again?  I would have given it another shot...
View Quote

Given how much the primer is depressed from the first strike, I'm not sure the pin will contact it enough to ignite it on round two.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well this is exactly why I only bought 1k rounds.

Never had good luck with Wolf in .223.

View Quote
Same here, glad I went with my gut instinct on this, wanted to buy more. Thanks for the info, please keep us updated.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]
mustangduckk, your misfire reminds me of what the S&W trigger group would do in their AR15 model. What trigger group are you using? Double or single hook?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top