Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/22/2017 11:17:45 AM EDT
I know you guys are going from complete scratch... but for those of us who don't want to play that much... what are the thoughts on just buying the barreled receivers from Palmetto... and finishing it off with one of their kits... or finding a kit with the right parts from a surplused rifle?

or... for dollars in, are there pre-builts that will give you the same accuracy and quality as the Palmetto build?

EDIT: having read some threads...I'm already not seeing much love for these things (well the Palmetto full builds, at least)
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Barreled receivers were priced at $399.  They also had blems for $379.
PSAK-47 GB2 standard barreled receiver comes with these components and features:

Nitride finished 4150v steel barrel installed
Stamped steel receiver with trigger guard installed
Billet Barrel Block (front trunnion)
Side Scope Mount Installed
Std. 800-yard rear sight leaf assembly installed
Bullet Guide Installed
Front sight post and windage drum installed
Dust cover fit and serialized
Fully assembled serialized billet bolt, head spaced to the receiver
Serialized and pre-fitted dust cover
Serialized and pre-fitted gas tube
Serialized and fully assembled carrier with gas piston
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barreled receivers were priced at $399.  They also had blems for $379.
PSAK-47 GB2 standard barreled receiver comes with these components and features:

Nitride finished 4150v steel barrel installed
Stamped steel receiver with trigger guard installed
Billet Barrel Block (front trunnion)
Side Scope Mount Installed
Std. 800-yard rear sight leaf assembly installed
Bullet Guide Installed
Front sight post and windage drum installed
Dust cover fit and serialized
Fully assembled serialized billet bolt, head spaced to the receiver
Serialized and pre-fitted dust cover
Serialized and pre-fitted gas tube
Serialized and fully assembled carrier with gas piston
View Quote
You can't beat that price, that's probably why they are sold out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just purchased one- hopefully have it in hand soon. will be my first AK
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've asked myself the same question. For that price you can finish off the rifle the way you want it and probably not spend that much more.
I'm probably done building AKs unless the kit prices com down, but the Palmetto looks really attractive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
With the Palmetto kits all of the hard work is done. There is no need to buy the tooling to press barrels, pins, demill and rivet, etc...
It sort of takes some of the fun out of building it. Palmetto uses a slightly different rear stock trunion. Has any body had any problems with it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my barreled receiver Friday. First ak, but everything looks great as far as finish wise. Should have the parts kit this week and I'll get it together. There have been some complaints on other forums. Canted sights, "double" handguard notches, some roll pins walking out. I think only time will tell. They are definitely selling a lot of these though...

Edit: see post under PSA build section- added pictures and will be sending back for a replacement (hopefully)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top