Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
Update:  I replaced the upper with an Anderson upper.  Nice, deep slot for the catch.  No issues at the range a couple of days ago.

The upper also solved the other issue I had with the BCM, needing too much windage on the rear sight.

=================

My charging handle, a Rainier Arms Raptor, bounces "out of battery" every now and then.

From several google results I've come to the simple conclusion that the catch on my BCM blem upper is simply too shallow.

Compared to free air it appears the Latch is only 2/3 closed when engaged on the receiver.

I only have basic hand tools, some files, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Drill baby drill.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Replace the upper or try a different brand charging handle.

An upper is under $100 and a BCM charging handle is under $50 and a mil spec handle is under $20. Why screw around?

You can then recover some of your money by selling the blem upper. Just make sure to disclose why you are selling. Don't be "that guy" who sells something but does not disclose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I waaaaas tempted to drill ..... lol

Update in op
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Sounds like you had an out of spec receiver. if you needed windage adjustments beyond a couple of clicks then you would have needed to lap that receiver to square the face.

Have you contacted BCM to see if they will make it right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I had lapped the face as well and still had the windage issue.

The barrel was loose in the BCM upper, only the tiniest bit of slop in the Anderson.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had lapped the face as well and still had the windage issue.

The barrel was loose in the BCM upper, only the tiniest bit of slop in the Anderson.
View Quote
Have you contacted BCM though? I know you said you got a blemish upper but I don't think they would sell you a defective one. I once had a defective bolt carrier group from them, and they replaced it no charge.

I have built a few uppers from BCM, and I got their upper and their barrel. It fits very tightly in the upper. I have to actually hit the barrel in with a wood block. They make the end slightly smaller so that it won't have any wiggle room. I like that about BCM.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I may as well I suppose lol.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top