Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 11:41:15 AM EDT
Looking to add some cleaning products in my store. There is an incredible amount of stuff on the market. What are some top sellers that I could look into?

I'm thinking:
FrogLube
Slip2000
Lucas

Any other must-haves I should consider?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Slip line.

Since you said cleaners, I like Carbon Killer...but their lubes are good, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I guess I mean any of the chemicals, lubes included.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Breakfree is a must IMO. Sure there are lots of new fangled lubes out there but BF still sells to a lot of people. Mil-Comm products are also very good. G96 makes fantastic lubes and it's what I'm currently using.

ETA: Also, G96 makes the only true MilSpec CLP available on the civilian market currently. Lots of others claim to meet the spec (Like Slip) but only G96 has passed Mil-L-63460-E and is approved for use, unless I missed someone. Could be a selling point for you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info socommatthews. I will check the availability of G96.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the Slip line.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like I can get G96 from one of my distributors. Will do a little more research on the product and see if it will be a good fit for my store.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooters Choice line of products.  I love the FP10
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Break Free CLP, Hoppe's 9 and Rem Oil.

This doesn't mean that they are the best but those are the three that I see everywhere so they must be the best sellers.

It seems like almost everyone here so far is just posting what they like and/or use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to get CLP, get LP as well.

I like to clean my rifle using actual cleaners, then lube/protect as a second step.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/break-free-lp-prod25945.aspx

Obviously carry Hoppes 9 and I would also recommend a copper remover, I prefer Butches Bore Shine but I also like Wipe Out foaming cleaner. I hear good things about Sweets 7.62.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like I can get G96 from one of my distributors. Will do a little more research on the product and see if it will be a good fit for my store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI they have 2 CLPs. They have this one that's petroleum based and what I'm currently using. Comes in 4oz oil and an aerosol and smells great. I believe it's what BCM was and may still be using on their rifles. Then they have this one that's current MilSpec CLP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Slip2000, KG products
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I would carry Hoppes #9 and a Hoppe's gun oil. Rem Oil is very popular especially among the older crowd.

For the black rifle crowd any of the stuff that claims to be military grade. G96, Slip2000, MPro7, or Militec-1 will sell to this crowd.

It depends on what your customer base is. Older more traditional gun owners like traditional products, the younger crowd likes all the newest "military grade" specialty products.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#13]
g96,
Weapons Shield
standard hoppes no. 9
bf clp
pro shot patches
Eezox (one of the best rust prevents out there When applied correctly)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Mpro7 LPX gun oil.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes,

Breakfree
Shooters choice
Lucas
some sort of spray cleaner, i would use a non chlorinated brake cleaner rather than a 3 times more expensive gun brand.  Your customers will like you.

Good brushes, including bore brushes, jags and the like.  Many "sporting goods" stores have enough supplies to be tantalizing but not enough to be useful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Ballistol.  Every time I see it in a discussion people complain that they can never buy it locally.  I order it from Amazon my self.   But it's another to consider.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Breakfree line of products.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Some thoughts based on my personal experiences and what I learned in business school.
Quality.  Know your customer.  Know your product.
1. Do a market study in your area of what folks need/want.  Being in Louisiana I bet corrosion protection is a must.  Is your customer a tactical shooter or a duck hunter?
2. Find something of good quality to fill that need that no on else carries.  See if you can get a distributor to let you be the sole source.
3.  Attractive pricing.  You have to make it hard for the consumer to go to Amazon, Brownell or Wally world to get it.
Do not overwhelm new buyers / gun owners.  Be willing to educate customers not just BS them with hype.

Have some kits and also individual components.  Keep it stocked.  If the consumer cannot find a 9mm brush, they will put everything back and order online.

M2C, hope this helps.
Best of luck.  FWIW independent small business people are my heroes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm part of that "older crowd" that grew up on Hoppe's. I'm not afraid to try new products but I won't abandon my tried and true cleaners and preservatives. I will always make sure that I have Hoppe's,  Breakfree CLP and Sweet's 7.62 around. I do like Mpro 7 cleaner but it's gotten so expensive that I may have to try the Slip 2000 products. And I will buy local if it's available.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some thoughts based on my personal experiences and what I learned in business school.
Quality.  Know your customer.  Know your product.
1. Do a market study in your area of what folks need/want.  Being in Louisiana I bet corrosion protection is a must.  Is your customer a tactical shooter or a duck hunter?
2. Find something of good quality to fill that need that no on else carries.  See if you can get a distributor to let you be the sole source.
3.  Attractive pricing.  You have to make it hard for the consumer to go to Amazon, Brownell or Wally world to get it.
Do not overwhelm new buyers / gun owners.  Be willing to educate customers not just BS them with hype.

Have some kits and also individual components.  Keep it stocked.  If the consumer cannot find a 9mm brush, they will put everything back and order online.

M2C, hope this helps.
View Quote

That is some damn fine advice.

As someone who has always dreamed of opening a small gun shop and outdoor range, I could use a lot more guidance from people like you one day.

It will be at least 2 years for me until I'm able to get things going, but it's in the pipeline.

Back to the OP: I agree with what bmyk says exactly. If you want corrosion protection I would look into birchwood casey barricade, it is by far the best rust preventative treatment I have found. My dies use to rust all the time, I coat them in barricade and have not had a single spec of surface rust since then. Barricade is not a cleaner (per say) but you will have people looking for rust preventative solvents too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, carry EEZOX  love the way that stuff smells...like fruit loops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Ballistol.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for your input and your comment. My wife and I opened the store 21 months ago. It is going well. We try to add at least one new product every day. We are taking things slow and steady and listening to the customer in terms of what they would like but I am also looking to add products they don't know exist. I always like to surprise them with something new. It helps if those items are things that they didn't know they needed/wanted until they saw it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to get sometime surprising look into the "real avid" tools.

They make the absolute best ar15 scraper tool (to clean off carbon) and also make some awesome 1911 wrenches, multi tools, etc. They are also pretty cheap to the point where there is little motivation for someone to go through Amazon rather than just buying local.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DPKZ1MO
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
When it comes to lubes and corrosion inhibitors, CorrosionX and the new A-76 Green works well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Lots of # 9 and the whole Hoppes line of products.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't mention this before but something else to think about. As a consumer I like to go into stores to see/touch/check out stuff that normally I can only buy online. Not the everyday stuff you can get at Academy or Walmart. Heck just the other day I drove 45 minutes one way because I knew this place carried things I otherwise could only buy online.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I didn't mention this before but something else to think about. As a consumer I like to go into stores to see/touch/check out stuff that normally I can only buy online. Not the everyday stuff you can get at Academy or Walmart. Heck just the other day I drove 45 minutes one way because I knew this place carried things I otherwise could only buy online.
View Quote

Agreed 100%....  My suggestion would be:

Remoil for the customers looking for the cheapest thing you have

Hoppies for the customer looking for a decent product with a time tested result

Weaponshild because its impossible to find other than online and is the best cleaner and lube I have ever tried by a country mile (And I have tried many including Hoppes, Hoppes Elite, Seal1, Breakfree, Slip 200, Slip 200EWL, Lucas Gun Oil, Mobil1 products and many more..... Weapon Shield converted me and I dont plan on going back to anything else.

EDIT:  If you do start carrying Weapon Shield let me know.  I will be due to buy more in a few months and would be happy to pass along my business to you, so long as you dont rape me with Shipping and Handling Fee's
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 for the EEZOX.  My favorite for keeping the guns rust free.  I take about an ounce out of the bottle and and some dry moly to the EEZOX, helps the moly stick where you want it and kind of dries.

HK91
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Im very traditional with my cleaning products. Hoppe's 9, Hoppe's oil, and wheel bearing grease (I use AmsOil) will do it for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ballistol.  
View Quote

Agree with the Ballistol.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I wholeheartedly agree with everything every one else has already mentioned, I only have one gripe about a product you mentioned-FrogLube.

I will never use it ever again (used it correctly, gummed up my kit, and it got moldy/unusable), but, there are lots who swear by it and the "Costa-ites" (I made that up) that would allow themselves to get butt-fucked by the Beard himself if it would help them be more tacticool/shoot better.

So carry for those toolbags . . . or not. Because as you can see no one else has mentioned it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top