Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2015 6:08:08 PM EDT
Who is using this stuff, and do they like it/dislike it?  I searched but couldn't find much. TIA
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used it for years. It's great! Anyone here who tells you it's bad either lives somewhere very cold (I have not confirmed its true)

or doesn't know how to read directions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
good but overpriced when compared to other options
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a small sample tube for $2 at a shop yesterday to try out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Maine's cold   it's useless  I used what's left on the garage door rollers and track
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maine's cold   it's useless  I used what's left on the garage door rollers and track
View Quote

Lol, so it works on door rollers in the cold? Are you sure you didn't put too much on?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesnt remove copper or lead. Dont like it as a bore cleaner. the liquid is very temp sensative. a near solid this time of year in my garage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doesnt remove copper or lead. Dont like it as a bore cleaner. the liquid is very temp sensative. a near solid this time of year in my garage.
View Quote

Maybe only in warm temps, copper and lead wipe off without much effort one applied correct. My machine guns love it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I started having failures with FL, it runs when it gets hot. Switched back to slip, no issues and I dont have to bake my AR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
In extreme cold it gets thick and causes failures for the first few rounds, or until you can find some other way to heat it up.
Leave it on too long and it can go rancid. Turns into a thick brown goo that smells like shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used it for over a year with no problems.
One gun has had it on for 7 months with no smell or mold. I believe that was the old formula.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Good kit IMO OP.  I use it exclusively on all of my rifles and handguns.  I haven't had any issues with it.  FWIW I have both the paste and liquid however, prefer the liquid FL and will use/purchase that exclusively when I run out of the paste.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used it on my glock 19 for about 8 months and works pretty well but takes a little work to get the hard carbon build up cleaned. Also is a little time consuming to apply it correctly. I haven't decided if I want to go a different route for my new ar 15 build.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Tried it, then moved to Seal 1 and like Seal 1 better
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tried it, then moved to Seal 1 and like Seal 1 better
View Quote

I switched to Seal 1 as well.... It's like it is more "oily" in nature.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
When actually applied correctly, Frog Lube is great.

Unfortunately very few people take the time to read the directions then come to our classes with caked on shit asking why their guns don't run anymore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
If there is a "system" to apply an oil, then it doesn't belong in the gun.

ARs function just fine with a nice light coating of oil.  Why make it complicated??

And, Froglube is ridiculously overpriced for more effort when other oils work fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In extreme cold it gets thick and causes failures for the first few rounds, or until you can find some other way to heat it up.
Leave it on too long and it can go rancid. Turns into a thick brown goo that smells like shit.
View Quote

Also sticky as shit if left to sit too long.  I used it on my AR's (the paste stuff) for roughly 1.5 years, and after the gun got hot, it would run down into the FCG.  Mind you, I never applied the FL to the FCG, it just ran there.

After about 12 months of having the shit build up, the FCG started getting sticky as shit.  Took me a while to figure out what it was.  I ended up detail stripping the lower, cleaning all of the parts, and selling off the remainder of my FL.

I've since gone to a 60/40 mix of 15W-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic/Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.  It's decently thick, which prevents it from running off the BCG when stored muzzle up (like Breakfree CLP and most other lubes tend to do), but not so thick as to cause issues with cold weather (I know it doesn't get very cold in FL, but I tested it out anyways).  

I no longer have problems with a sticky FCG.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm yeah I've yet to have any of these "issues" yet and it gets cold here as well. Used it for over a year now and I like it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Use cleaner for cleaning.

Use lube for lube.

This whole 'do it all' shit is dumb.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I agree.  It's like shampoo conditioner.  What in the what?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Just applied it on three Ar's BCG's and they are smooth as butter. It's great if you actually maintain your weapon and apply it right. You can't treat like other lube, it's real high tech and you have to read the directions. People can't wrap their head around that you wipe it all off, if it is running down on anything you applied it wrong.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just applied it on three Ar's BCG's and they are smooth as butter. It's great if you actually maintain your weapon and apply it right. You can't treat like other lube, it's real high tech and you have to read the directions. People can't wrap their head around that you wipe it all off, if it is running down on anything you applied it wrong.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/Fordman2011/Froglube.jpg
View Quote
I don't need to buy lube that requires directions.

KISS - I live by it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I live in MN. I do not have any issues because I apply FL correctly. I had the privilege of actually speaking with the founder of FrogLube while at SHOT 2015. We talked about the proper application of FrogLube and "winterizing" one's firearm.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting, so the owner even says not to use it in cold weather.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting, so the owner even says not to use it in cold weather.
View Quote

Didn't say anything of the sort, did you even watch the video. Even when you take it off it's still in the metal lubing the part. You just can't have excess Froglube or any other lube you may be using it will all freeze up in sub freezing weather. You can run completely dry with Froglube, try that with what you use.

Use what you want, just don't knock something you know nothing about and don't understand. To the person who wanted to know about Froglube, it's the best thing to come along sense loaf-a-bread . This stuff treats the metal, not just lubes it. Sounds crazy but you wipe it all off dry and in the winter you dissolve it off completely dry and it still is in the metal protecting your part. Froglube is the only thing that will work in sub freezing weather, you can take it completely off and it still protects the metal.

I understand why people don't get it, it goes against everything you think you know. Running your weapon completely dry WTF ! Yes amazing huh !

Instructions: Summertime, heat part with hair dryer , apply, wipe it all off with microfiber cloth. Run it dry with just the little film left.
                    Wintertime, dissolve the film off of it and run it dry. What could be more simple!

Oh when you clean your weapon , take a cloth and just wipe it , stuff comes right off. If not degrease and retreat with Froglube.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Instructions: Summertime, heat part with hair dryer , apply, wipe it all off with microfiber cloth. Run it dry with just the little film left.

Wintertime, dissolve the film off of it and run it dry. What could be more simple!

View Quote
Get normal lube and run it wet?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
So....what do you do if you don't have access to a hair dryer or a heat source?  How would you use the Froglube in a cold environment WITHOUT access to ultrasonic cleaners and blow dryers?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So....what do you do if you don't have access to a hair dryer or a heat source?  How would you use the Froglube in a cold environment WITHOUT access to ultrasonic cleaners and blow dryers?
View Quote

Use the sun or stick my BCG under my armpit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I live in MN. I do not have any issues because I apply FL correctly. I had the privilege of actually speaking with the founder of FrogLube while at SHOT 2015. We talked about the proper application of FrogLube and "winterizing" one's firearm.

http://youtu.be/88QmKuqKsuw?list=UUZkyHDJ-XFuREehZiAp-xsw
View Quote

Can you share with me what your subsequent maintenance process looks like and any info Larry shared with you?

I just switched over to FL on my Glock G19 and I am going to apply it to my AR this weekend. I understand the initial application process. I'm just not 100% clear on maintenance. Are you supposed to use the solvent to clean after shooting and then re-apply the FL CLP without heating or just use the CLP to clean and coat and wipe off?

Appreciate the info.

P.S. Any responses such as "remove FL and apply (insert other brand)" really isn't helpful to anyone making a serious effort to try this product for themselves. I get it, but it's counter productive.  Just sayin'. ??
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
iirc you are supposed to use their solvent to remove and clean then re-apply. will look up the directions when i get home if i have time.
View Quote

Subsequent Cleaning and Re-application

FrogLube testing has demonstrated unmatched reliability through thousands of rounds of firing without cleaning; however, most manufacturers will recommend inspecting and cleaning after every use.

1. If you get ‘build-up’ due to lack of cleaning, and you sustain sluggish performance, do a field strip and a generous application of FrogLube Solvent to all parts and spaces. You will find amazing cleaning results and this should normally return the firearm to peak operating performance.

2. After long term storage, you should do a field strip, clean and inspect. Reapply the CLP to preference.

3. In the event the firearm is over lubricated, do a thorough cleaning with FrogLube Solvent; it will remove excess lubricant in and inside the firearm spaces.

I emailed Froglube for clarification and Larry responded instructing me to follow the manufacturers guidelines. This is probably blatantly clear but my brain wants to think there is something else since the "C" in Froglube's "CLP" stands for clean". Also, it seems that if I needed to clean the gun with the Froglube solvent to strip the gun of previous solvents and oils, wouldn't this also strip the Heat aplied Froglube from the gun and thus requiring another heated application?
I've heard and read that the heated application is only needed the first time.

My brain just can't fill in the perceived blanks.

If I understand correctly, I should use the Froglube solvent if I need more than a wipe down cleaning and then apply the Froglube CLP per the gun manufacturers lubrication guidelines.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FrogLube testing has demonstrated unmatched reliability through thousands of rounds of firing without cleaning; however, most manufacturers will recommend inspecting and cleaning after every use.

1. If you get ‘build-up’ due to lack of cleaning, and you sustain sluggish performance, do a field strip and a generous application of FrogLube Solvent to all parts and spaces. You will find amazing cleaning results and this should normally return the firearm to peak operating performance.

2. After long term storage, you should do a field strip, clean and inspect. Reapply the CLP to preference.

3. In the event the firearm is over lubricated, do a thorough cleaning with FrogLube Solvent; it will remove excess lubricant in and inside the firearm spaces.

I emailed Froglube for clarification and Larry responded instructing me to follow the manufacturers guidelines. This is probably blatantly clear but my brain wants to think there is something else since the "C" in Froglube's "CLP" stands for clean". Also, it seems that if I needed to clean the gun with the Froglube solvent to strip the gun of previous solvents and oils, wouldn't this also strip the Heat aplied Froglube from the gun and thus requiring another heated application?

If I understand correctly, I should use the Froglube solvent if I need more than a wipe down cleaning and then apply the Froglube CLP per the gun manufacturers lubrication guidelines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
iirc you are supposed to use their solvent to remove and clean then re-apply. will look up the directions when i get home if i have time.

If it's confusing you this much....then simplify.  Stop using it and use a normal oil.  Normal oils work just fine on the AR15.  It doesn't need a lubrication "system".
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have a tube that comes out as a paste as well. I got one in the clam kit from Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They have a tube that comes out as a paste as well. I got one in the clam kit from Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what you would want to use in a cold environment FYI.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If it's confusing you this much....then simplify.  Stop using it and use a normal oil.  Normal oils work just fine on the AR15.  It doesn't need a lubrication "system".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FrogLube testing has demonstrated unmatched reliability through thousands of rounds of firing without cleaning; however, most manufacturers will recommend inspecting ........,,

My brain just can't fill in the perceived....,,,,,,,.

I'll get the hang of it. Just need to use it. There are plenty of folks out there using it successfully.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top