Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2010 8:48:10 AM EDT
Recently purchased my first AR-15. I have cleaned all my other guns in the past with just Hoppe's #9 and some Hoppe's lube. What would you guys recommend as the best solvent and the best lubricant for an AR rifle? Also what cleaning tools should I get? I already have a .223 bore snake. Thank you for the help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
There's no right or wrong answer, just spend some time reading through the threads in this forum.  I prefer Slip 2000 EWL for lube.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Butch's bore shine for cleaning and Mobil 1 motor oil 0w-20 for lubrication.

If engine oil can take extreme heat in your engine all day every day, wouldn't you want that thermal protection in your AR?

IMHO
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
When AT HOME only

I will spray out my upper with Non Chlor Brake Cleaner
Then clean as manual states

In the Field I only use CLP type lube
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopps #9 still seems to be the best all around (mild C)LP; I know I'm going to get flamed for that...but there's no way that you can mess anything up with Hopps.
I just use Hopps #9 and Hopps "Elite Gun Cleaner", also not a super high in product.
I have been told I should open a gun detailing business.

Just don't spend a stupid amount of money on it (unless it does make you feel that much better, then it is worth it).  In terms of what works; I've seen a guy oil a Glock 34 using the dipstick from his truck at a USPSA shoot.  I know a 2008 shooting champ from Raleigh who has said "Mobil 1".  I've heard my European friends laugh about how we can put things in tiny bottles over here and sell almost the same product for $25 an ounce.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have suggested this to another new AR shooter.  Do you have any friends who shoot the AR, that their gun ALWAYS works, and you trust to teach you?  Find a local mentor, to show you the tricks of the AR platform.  Let him/her show you what products they use, and how to use them.
I could tell you what I do, it is how my mentor showed me, but if you had a question or needed to see a demo of something, I am not there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
just keep using what you use on all your firearms, in this case HOPPES.  there is no sense in buying something else, because this person or that person says that this or that  is the "best", it's all going to do the same thing, clean and lube.  

the key is to keep the rifle  clean and lubed

as for cleaning supplies,  rags or patches and a chamber brush is all you need beside the bore snake.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Ballistol for general cleaning.

Mobile 1 (or equivalent) or Weapon Shield for lube.

Shooter's Choice MC #7 for the bore, only IF necessary, in a chrome lined bbl.

Generally speaking, these are my preferences.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Im going to try weapons shield IF it ever gets here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
guessing your talking about that sample I told ya guys about? I got mine in around 1.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

guessing your talking about that sample I told ya guys about? I got mine in around 1.5 weeks.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm waiting to compare it to my synthetic Royal Purple.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
For cleaning built up carbon Kroil. An 8 oz can is $12 or less. It also works great for taking out pins, gunked up gas tubes, locked up barrel nuts.

It will turn built up, burnt on carbon into sludge you can wipe away or scoop up with a dental pick.

Then I usually wipe it off,  blast out with non-cholorinated brake parts cleaner and lube with Slip 2000 EWL or CLP whatever is handy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Hoppe's Benchrest (since it will also work on copper fouling)
and let it sit ovenight...

Then I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil. Leaves a thick film...

You want that on your bolt and carrier assembly....
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
For the First time  I bought Gunslick Slick Bore Foam  that removes copper

I think it was a total waste  for a Chrome lined barrel

almost 3000rds
Never  used a bore brush ever.
Just chamber brush & patches along with   BC & BF CLP

I sprayed out my M4 uppers with non chlor Brake Cleaner
Then added the FOAM let it sit for over a hour
No Blue on the patch at all!

So im thinking the Brake Cleaner can remove copper fouling ?

Anyway I will  Stick with BF CLP & non chlor Brake Cleaner
Or a Better CLP If I ever find one.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top