Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:10 PM EDT
Just wondering what is the easiest way to fix a canted low profile gas block. I threw on a spare one for now.

The original was pinned, and it functioned fine. But the OCD me is going nuts. It just looks unprofessional, and the bad thing is I paid for it.

Most of the hard work has been done already since both the barrel and gas block are melonite coated.

Is my best bet to drill straight through and find a roll pin that fits? Right now it's set up for a taper pin and one hole is larger than the other on the gas block.

I can torque the set screws down onto the barrel and install the pin after but it gets stuck 2/3 of the way through. If I end up muscling it in the gas block would just cant again (I'd rather not have the set screws dig into the barrel and rotate with the gas block).

The cant isn't bad enough to cut off gas flow though.

Too bad I can't find a roll pin just a bit bigger than 1/8" Diameter x 5/8 (AR Trigger Pin for reference)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use the set screws only and forget about the pin?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just use the set screws only and forget about the pin?
View Quote
I'm probably going to do that for now. I was just hoping to have a "bomb" proof rifle at the time I sent it out. I'd only be drilling the spare gas block to size. I figure a roll pin would adjust to it.

Edit: meant to say I'd be doing that "for now". Oy...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's not canted enough to restrict gas flow, and it doesn't look like it is, then pin it and get on with life.  It's not a front sight block, so no worries with iron sight alignment, and it'll probably be covered by a rail I'm guessing.

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm probably going to do that. I was just hoping to have a "bomb" proof rifle at the time I sent it out. I'd only be drilling the spare gas block to size. I figure a roll pin would adjust to it.
View Quote
Pack the roll pin hole with some jb weld or epoxy as an added means of securing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's going under a rail, who gives a fuck?

Seriously, is your "OCD" so bad that you'd rather have a less secure gas block just so the damn thing is perfectly straight?  

No offense, but if it functions as expected, that's fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it's going under a rail, who gives a fuck?

Seriously, is your "OCD" so bad that you'd rather have a less secure gas block just so the damn thing is perfectly straight?  

No offense, but if it functions as expected, that's fucking retarded.
View Quote
There are more subtle ways of getting your point across. Hell just the first part would of done it.  I appreciate your input, you have a valid point; but there is no need to be a Richard about it.

I was actually asking about correcting the problem, that I paid money for in the first place. It's not like I went and did it myself in my garage and canted it.

Even if I go from a Taper Pin to a roll pin it's still going to be plenty secure. Especially if I use the set screws for good measure. I haven't heard complaints about Faxon/Ballistic Advantage using roll pins.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are more subtle ways of getting your point across. Hell just the first part would of done it.  I appreciate your input, you have a valid point; but there is no need to be a Richard about it.

I was actually asking about correcting the problem, that I paid money for in the first place. It's not like I went and did it myself in my garage and canted it.

Even if I go from a Taper Pin to a roll pin it's still going to be plenty secure. Especially if I use the set screws for good measure. I haven't heard complaints about Faxon/Ballistic Advantage using roll pins.
View Quote
Sorry if I didn't coddle you, but stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

If you're unhappy with the service you received having it professionally pinned, logic would dictate you go back to the offending gunsmith and ask that he fix your issue or give you a refund.

Logic would also dictate that fucking around with a drill and your barrel/GB isn't the smartest idea if you're not having a function issue, especially for a guy who had to pay a smith to do the pinning work in the first place (this isn't a jab, I don't do my own pin work either).

Experience tells me that leaving well enough alone in this situation is probably the best course of action.  As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry if I didn't coddle you, but stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

If you're unhappy with the service you received having it professionally pinned, logic would dictate you go back to the offending gunsmith and ask that he fix your issue or give you a refund.

Logic would also dictate that fucking around with a drill and your barrel/GB isn't the smartest idea if you're not having a function issue, especially for a guy who had to pay a smith to do the pinning work in the first place (this isn't a jab, I don't do my own pin work either).

Experience tells me that leaving well enough alone in this situation is probably the best course of action.  As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
View Quote
I'm not asking to be coddled,. I just figured this was a tech forum and we can all act respectful toward one another. Sure beats the mentality that goes on in GD cop/political threads.

I get it though, you are a brutally honest person, would be nice to move on without any insults from this point on.

I've had the barrel for at least a year now. I was stupidly talked into leaving it the way it was. Every now and then I'd be cleaning my rifle and it just kind of bugged me. I put so much effort and money into this build and it's flawed because of a "professional".
I was also weighing the option of just sending it out to Adco and having it done right.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
OP remove taper pin, clock GB, ream hole a bit with proper taper pin reamer, install new taper pin.  Very easy.

The reamer will cost less than shipping to adco, and ACE hardware has taper pins in different lengths.  Trim to fit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP remove taper pin, clock GB, ream hole a bit with proper taper pin reamer, install new taper pin.  Very easy.

The reamer will cost less than shipping to adco, and ACE hardware has taper pins in different lengths.  Trim to fit.
View Quote
Thanks, it went fairly well. Didn't take much effort at all since all of the hard work was done already. Drilling into melonite coating would of been rather costly on my own.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top