Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2017 12:20:23 PM EDT
Acquired a used AR pistol. 7 1/2" bbl, looks like psa upper and lower but the upper isn't marked. Seems to be a build.

Had some issues from the start, bolt wasn't going back far enough to strip and feed the next round. That appears to be the issue.

Upon disassembly, I found the front screw retaining the gas key had the head broken off. I haven't done anything else to it but I think there is movement in the front of the key.

I know I need to fix it but my question is, what could've caused this?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of causes. Over tightened, use, poor quality screw, and to much force staking it are some possible causes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of causes. Over tightened, use, poor quality screw, and to much force staking it are some possible causes.
View Quote
This.

It happens.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the ideas. So I reckon fix and asses?

Should I replace the key or just the screws?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the ideas. So I reckon fix and asses?

Should I replace the key or just the screws?
View Quote
Two new Grade 8 screws.  
Apply proper sealant HERE
Torque to correct specs.
Stake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The failure could also have something to do with inferior materials or quality control lacking. If it were I, I'd replace the entire BCG. Toolcraft BCGs are on sale at Monmouth reloading for like $80. Comes properly staked and tested.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The failure could also have something to do with inferior materials or quality control lacking. If it were I, I'd replace the entire BCG. Toolcraft BCGs are on sale at Monmouth reloading for like $80. Comes properly staked and tested.
View Quote
If the screw failed, the most likely inferior part would be the screw.  Replacing the entire BGC would be akin to replacing the entire rear end because you had a premature flat tire . . .

A cheaper alternative to Form-a-Gasket #3: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBM6NG?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Same basic stuff, just in a paste form, cheaper and available in smaller quantities.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the screw failed, the most likely inferior part would be the screw.  Replacing the entire BGC would be akin to replacing the entire rear end because you had a premature flat tire . . .
View Quote
Err, my thoughts are that if the screw failed and it as well as the BCG are both from an unknown source, it would be more wise to invest $80 in a known good bolt rather than dumping $5 and potentially some headache removing the still good screw, extracting the broken shank of the bad screw, and dealing with potentially an overly-aggressive staking job. The tire analogy doesn't exactly work, as they are not the same manufacturer and were not assembled by the same person/company. Now, if your new car one day had one of the motor mounts shear in half while driving down the highway, something tells me you would be inclined to want to replace the vehicle rather than throw new motor mounts in and assume the rest of the motor was put together just fine. In other words, you can spend $5, hope the BCG doesn't fail again, or spend $80, don't worry about BCG. Old BCG moves to the spare parts bin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd put two screws in it and get back to shooting.  Replacing the whole bolt over a somewhat common issue makes zero sense, to me.  I have fixed plenty of them over the years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top