Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 2:52:04 PM EDT
I went to swap out the A2 and the old crush washer is stuck on the threads. Is going out and buying a dremel type tool and praying I don't fuck up my only option?

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It won't just unscrew?  I've had that happen before, where it doesn't damage the threads because it just unscrews.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah I think the washer is deformed a little. And I tried to force it like the dumb ass that im and now t won't budge either way. Hopefully I didn't ruin the threads
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw your flash hider back on and it should square it up enough to then get it off.  
You might bung up your threads a little, but a couple of twists on and off should roll them back into shape.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Gonna have to try when I get off tonight
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Just grip it with some channel-locks and unscrew it.  The washer will unscrew as if it was threaded.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
+1. Reseat it with the MD and start over. Should be gtg.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:41:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey thanks guys. I used a combination of your advice and finally got it off
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have this happen almost every time with 5/8 crush washers even when they have 1/4 turn or less of crush.  Almost every damned time.
Soooo, I've gotten pretty good at getting them off and unscrewing them, in all of my cases has NOT been the soution.
I take a strong set of nippers/dikes, what ever you want to call them, and I nick it heavily in 4 places, then use a set of duck-bill/flat nose pliers to twist the washer back and forth until it breaks along the cuts I put in the CW with the dikes.  Once you crack a section you can spread it and unscrew it or twist it more and break it off in sections.  I have not had this happen on 1/2 x 28 muzzle threads though for some reason, always on 5/8 x 24.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top