Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 11:39:30 PM EDT
I've had my AR for about six months now and when I was cleaning it I noticed that the buffer retainer plunger has a groove worn in it. Is the buffer tube supposed to turn in and hold the plunger down or do you stop turning it in before it gets to the plunger?

Bob
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've had my AR for about six months now and when I was cleaning it I noticed that the buffer retainer plunger has a groove worn in it. Is the buffer tube supposed to turn in and hold the plunger down or do you stop turning it in before it gets to the plunger?

Bob
View Quote

Post a pic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the buffer tube supposed to turn in and hold the plunger down
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure who did that, but it looks like your buffer was screwed in too far, and someone compensated for it by "v-notching" or cutting a "U groove" to clear the detent pin. It also appears the other side of the "v-notch" or "U groove" has sheared off, leaving you with one side left. It should probably still hold, but the tube should have only been threaded in enough to overlap (at all) the detent's shoulder (some barely kiss the pin, others don't. Not important. So long as the tube overlaps the shoulder). "V-notching" or "U grooving" could have weakened the original tube's lip (thus why one side is apparently missing).
My opinion?... tubes are cheap. Just put a new one on. Although that set up could still work fine, I'd not be happy with that. YMMV.

BTW: some people get obsessive about detent pin coverage. You'll see this when the  tube extends INTO (past) the upper ring. That should NEVER be (usually it's a tad behind the ring).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured it out. I put a little anti seize on the buffer tube threads when I put it together and there was some on top of the wide part of the plunger.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure who did that, but it looks like your buffer was screwed in too far, and someone compensated for it by "v-notching" or cutting a "U groove" to clear the detent pin. It also appears the other side of the "v-notch" or "U groove" has sheared off, leaving you with one side left. It should probably still hold, but the tube should have only been threaded in enough to overlap (at all) the detent's shoulder (some barely kiss the pin, others don't. Not important. So long as the tube overlaps the shoulder). "V-notching" or "U grooving" could have weakened the original tube's lip (thus why one side is apparently missing).
My opinion?... tubes are cheap. Just put a new one on. Although that set up could still work fine, I'd not be happy with that. YMMV.

BTW: some people get obsessive about detent pin coverage. You'll see this when the  tube extends INTO (past) the upper ring. That should NEVER be (usually it's a tad behind the ring).
View Quote

If the tube is centered as it should be that is a different style tube sold by Tapco on their mil spec tube. It is actually a better design and allows more coverage and flexiblity on timing the tube when installed. If you look at the additional image on the link you can see the offset lip in the pic.
http://www.tapco.com/products/ar/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=133
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I just uploaded mine at the same angle as your pic. Here is how they should usually look (notice the tube isn't threaded too far into the upper ring. There should be a small gap (recessed), not the tube protruding at the top, and the lower tube lip just covering the detent shoulder):

I'm not familiar with the OP's brand of tube, but that's not the mil spec way of doing it (not that it's wrong, I'm just not familiar with it).
It looks like someone filed away half of the lip on the OP's tube just to (unnecessarily) thread it in one more turn (which is now causing it to also protrude INTO the receiver).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this a pistol or a rifle buffer tube?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm the OP and didn't post the pict, that was someone else. My tube looks like the one Maverick posted, mine just had some anti-seize around that looked like it was worn.

Bob
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top