Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2017 10:14:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've had an  S&W MP15 for about ten years now. Bought it as a standard M4gery model and have made a few changes such as stock, grip, trigger guard, trigger, VTAC rail, low-profile gas block, etc. but nothing major. I'd like to put the current 16" 1:9 twist upper back to original configuration for general plinking/target purposes and build a 18" upper with 1:7 or 1:8 twist for hunting. The rifle currently has a standard carbine buffer tube, spring, and buffer. I've noticed that 18" barrels have either mid-length or rifle gas systems. Can I use my existing carbine buffer tube, spring, and buffer with a mid-length or rifle gas system or will I need to change them out?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They will work just fine.

The gas port size changes based on gas system length to essentially make them very similar.

A lot of people like to add mass, and end up with an H2 buffer and blue Sprinco spring on midlength systems, but that might not run with a rifle length gas on an 18" barrel.  The standard carbine buffer and spring absolutely will.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I default to H buffers/Damage Ind enhanced springs on almost all mine now, zero issues.

That being said, as previously stated, the standard carbine configuration will most likely run issue free.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top