BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2017 2:41:38 PM EDT
Yeah I have a better system for roll pins that eliminates any markings but my old lowers that I dinged up with punches make me feel bad.  Some of them can't be covered with alumablack.  Anyone else feel like shit when this happens?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The first time.

Panicked and convinced myself I was gonna Krylon it.

Glad I got over it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I have never banged up a lower installing a roll pin, they start getting beat up when I am shooting them, I did goof one time while milling one and had to cover it up, with an upper!

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
what the fuk Is this "FEELS" Horseshite??

Pajama boy gonna be your new avatar?
gonna report someone for hurtin your "Feels" in this thread?

the guns a tool, tools get used, tools get marked up, a gun is made to be shot not stuck
on a wall or in a safe looking all soft and cuddly, lthey should like like machines of death!!!

now man up, drop this feeling horseshite and got fire those weapons, bang them around
and throw em down the driveway like any manly arfcomer would do..

Chef

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what the fuk Is this "FEELS" Horseshite??

Pajama boy gonna be your new avatar?
gonna report someone for hurtin your "Feels" in this thread?

the guns a tool, tools get used, tools get marked up, a gun is made to be shot not stuck
on a wall or in a safe looking all soft and cuddly, lthey should like like machines of death!!!

now man up, drop this feeling horseshite and got fire those weapons, bang them around
and throw em down the driveway like any manly arfcomer would do..

Chef

View Quote
Forgot to mention one of them is a SBR lower that I engraved myself.  Looks like complete ass!!! Lol.  Oh well... it's my beater SBR
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I have a better system for roll pins that eliminates any markings but my old lowers that I dinged up with punches make me feel bad.  Some of them can't be covered with alumablack.  Anyone else feel like shit when this happens?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I didnt even use any punches on the AR I just finished a couple days ago
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
There's no shame in making a mark or two on your builds. It happens. I understand what your saying. Some people have pride in their work others don't. I don't see the small marks from tools as blemishes, I see them as added character. Nothing is perfect, nothing lasts forever just try to get better at assembling them as you build more. A small punch mark is nothing I've heard some guys have broken the ears off of lowers while installing the trigger guard. Learn from your mistakes, experience is the best teacher.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand the ARRGH feeling when you do it, but at that point, it's done and unless you're building a safe queen or manufacturing one for sale, no big deal.  Now that you've got the first mark on it, you won't worry about the next 20.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. Guns are tools, and I personally don't care how badly mine get dinged/scratched/whatever. Granted, I do treat my guns a little nicer than my craftsman and snap on tools, but not by much
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup ,, right after I did it I covered it with a sharpie,, by the time the ink wore off there so many other minor ding and dents that it qualified as a patina-ed finish !
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The first time. . Sharpie works well
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of my lowers have a mark or 2 from installing the bolt catch roll pin.  If you don't do it all the time it's really easy to slip. No big deal to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most of my lowers have a mark or 2 from installing the bolt catch roll pin.  If you don't do it all the time it's really easy to slip. No big deal to me.
View Quote
My first lower was marked doing the bolt catch.  Now I use roll pin starter punches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My first lower was marked doing the bolt catch.  Now I use roll pin starter punches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just ordered some roll pin starter punches from Squirrel Daddy

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/AR15-M16-Rifle-Carbine-parts-s/91.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're not long enough to help with the bolt catch pin.  You'll end up using a longer punch to hit the starter punch and then it'll slip and scratch your lower

You really need a long one like they are talking about in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/712260_Review-of-KAK-Walt-s-Tool.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Roll Pin starter punches, and blue tape to protect the lower.
Take your time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I wallowed out one of the selector holes on an 80% while drilling it after having had a couple of beers.  Works fine but the one hole is egg shaped.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They're not long enough to help with the bolt catch pin.  You'll end up using a longer punch to hit the starter punch and then it'll slip and scratch your lower

You really need a long one like they are talking about in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/712260_Review-of-KAK-Walt-s-Tool.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you guys make it out to be much harder than it is. I should post a video of a catch pin installation using a short punch and no taped up lower. The video would be 15 seconds long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you guys make it out to be much harder than it is. I should post a video of a catch pin installation using a short punch and no taped up lower. The video would be 15 seconds long.
View Quote
Enlighten us please.  The bolt catch pin is the hardest part for me.  Not only does it take the most force to get started (even more than the forward assist which is also a pain) it's in an awkward place where it's extremely difficult to hold it all together and hit it straight on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are long enough.  I have never scratched a lower with a starter punch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I've only build two ARs but I didn't leave a scratch. Went slow and used masking tape anytime I was worried. I don't build safe queens I'm just a perfectionist. I don't mind if they get banged up when I'm shooting though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I have never had that problem, but I use roll pin holder punches and roll pin starter punches.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes I have and never given it a another thought after the initial damn.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The only place I use a starter punch & finish with a roll pin punch is the gas tube to gas block pin. On the trigger guard I use a small arbor press and all other pins I squeeze in with padded parallel pliers or vice grips. There used to be a lot of vids on here about not using punches. I tape things right to the hole to try my best at avoiding assembly marks. It's a craftsmanship thing with me, heck I could be working on one of my old Corvett's and I for sure don't want to see marks where they shouldn't be on one of those. Plus probably the biggest reason I try hard not to get the slightest blemish is my wife would be all over me. Some LPK's contain roll pins that are silky smooth to press in. We don't mind wear and tear marks from use that's a totally different situation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't own any safe queen ARs so I don't even give it a second thought.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I use vice grips to install the bolt stop and trigger guard. I don't even put tape over the jaws. I hold the lower in a vice and hold the roll pin with needle nose pliers while I get it started with the vice grips.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I use vice grips to install the bolt stop and trigger guard. I don't even put tape over the jaws. I hold the lower in a vice and hold the roll pin with needle nose pliers while I get it started with the vice grips.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I got some very minor scratches on my first and only build so far when installing the bolt catch pin. A longer punch would've probably helped as well as a work bench and vise. Kind of hard to describe visually, but I tapped it in while lying on the floor and holding the receiver on my stomach - worked fairly easily, but the few times I slipped up caused the little scratches. I proudly view them as "character" marks of my first build!

But the teeny aesthetic issue was far outweighed by the big smile on my face when I shot it for the first time. Kind of a neat feeling for a newbie like me to have his first build work like it's supposed to and shoot holes in a target 50 yards away!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#29]
If you use short punches... electrical tape is your friend on your lower for the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#30]
NO.

Have a Front Push-pin that is a little tight.

When I want to open it, I sacrifice a new pencil, used as a punch, with a plastic gunsmithing hammer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#31]
No , have the correct set of roll pin starter Punches.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
nope - but i think i would get over it quickly.  I'm throwing my rifle into a trashcan at matches anyways.  It didn't look new for long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#33]
It is a tool but I try to take care of my tools...

I used vice grips to mostly press in the bolt catch roll pin and a vice to press in the trigger guard pin.  A roll pin punch is needed to center the pin once you get it into the receiver... and for the gas block roll pin which is such an irregular surface you are kind of screwed for pressing it in.

Check out iraqvettern88's build video on youtube (the original two part series) it was my inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
i have more trouble starting the roll pin for the forward assist. at least 3 of my lowers had bare aluminum where the punch slipped. one on top, the other two on the bottom when i learned to at least hide my screw up well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i have more trouble starting the roll pin for the forward assist. at least 3 of my lowers had bare aluminum where the punch slipped. one on top, the other two on the bottom when i learned to at least hide my screw up well.
View Quote
I think taking the taper pins out of a FSB is easier than starting the forward assist roll pin.  Not sure why that one always seems the tightest.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#36]
First one that I built, I scratched really bad installing the bolt catch roll pin and I was pretty bummed. Then I looked at my other AR's and realized that shits going to happen anyways so who cares.

I don't own any safe queens (except grandads shotgun that to me is irreplaceable).
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
If your punches are slipping, you're using the wrong punches. You should be using roll pin punches. Starter punches to start the pins, and finishing punches to finish them. The starter punches have a hollow tip which holds the pin in place while you start it in the hole. The finishing punch has a small ball tip on the end that centers the punch in the pin while you complete the drive until just below flush. With the right punches and proper use, it's damn near impossible to slip and damage your work piece. You can get a set of these punches specifically designed for use with the AR platform from Amazon, for about $20 shipped if you're a Prime member.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Another tip when installing the forward assist, or anything under spring tension, is to install the F/A with a smaller punch holding it in place from the opposite end you're installing the pin. I've seen people try to install F/A's in some really off the wall ways, like using tape to hold it in place while installing the pin, for example. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Another tip when installing the forward assist, or anything under spring tension, is to install the F/A with a smaller punch holding it in place from the opposite end you're installing the pin. I've seen people try to install F/A's in some really off the wall ways, like using tape to hold it in place while installing the pin, for example. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.
View Quote
Why would you use a smaller punch that would cause the assist to be in the way of the pin?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
No punches needed for bolt catch or trigger guard pins with these Knipex Pliers. No hammers, no banging, they slide in, smooth and straight, because these close evenly.

https://www.knipex.com/fileadmin/site/knipex/scripts/mediando/images/KNIPEX/Produktfotos/web/zoom/8603180-00-1.jpg

Knipex Pliers
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why would you use a smaller punch that would cause the assist to be in the way of the pin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh?? Because a large punch won't fit in the hole. Have you ever looked at a forward assist that's not installed? The channel that allows the roll pin to pass through is much wider than the pin itself. Doesn't matter what size punch you use as long as it fits into the hole in the upper.

You install the forward assist into the upper and hold it in place with a punch inserted from the opposite end of the roll pin channel that you're installing the pin from. Once the forward assist is held in place with the punch, you're then free to drive the roll pin in from the opposite side. Obviously, the roll pin slowly pushes the punch out of the upper as you tap it in and also retains the forward assist at the same time. Using a small punch does not cause the forward assist to be in the way of the roll pin. You can use ANY punch that fits through the pin channel. Try it some time. I've assembled literally hundreds of receivers this way. I thought this was a simple thing, here...
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#42]
It's a tool just like the punch, not meant to be pretty like a menagerie.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No punches needed for bolt catch or trigger guard pins with these Knipex Pliers. No hammers, no banging, they slide in, smooth and straight, because these close evenly.

https://www.knipex.com/fileadmin/site/knipex/scripts/mediando/images/KNIPEX/Produktfotos/web/zoom/8603180-00-1.jpg

Knipex Pliers
View Quote
I used these on multiple projects including installing pins on ar15 and the Scorpion.  You still have to have punches to seat the pins below the surface.  Also gas block pins are hard to start with them due to the tight fit and shape of the gas block.  I use the geissele pin starter to seat the pin in the gas block and the pliers to squeeze it the rest of the way through.

You can use a vice to push certain pins in depending on the location of the pin
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#44]
If you worry about marring up a lower try this little item:
KNS bolt catch pin
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you worry about marring up a lower try this little item:
KNS bolt catch pin
View Quote
Never seen that before. Interesting product. Not for me, but still interesting. Just better hope that little e-clip stays put.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I chuck all roll pins in a drill and smooth the tip with sandpaper. Then use oil and the correct tools. Brass punches are soft but do not mar as much.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I chuck all roll pins in a drill and smooth the tip with sandpaper. Then use oil and the correct tools. Brass punches are soft but do not mar as much.
View Quote
Why? I've never had a problem with starting them or marring the finish using them as is. Just wondering...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why? I've never had a problem with starting them or marring the finish using them as is. Just wondering...
View Quote
If I have one that is giving me trouble, I take a needle file to the end and give a few swipes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I have one that is giving me trouble, I take a needle file to the end and give a few swipes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be special since roll pins never give me any trouble.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I must be special since roll pins never give me any trouble.
View Quote
After 20 rifles, I have only had a couple really give me any problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top