Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2016 12:23:46 PM EDT
Hello!
I've never really been a gun guy. I've hunted in the past and target shot at the range. A shift in priorities and interests has me becoming more of a gun guy as I want to protect myself and family.
A family member recently bought an 80% lower and the jigs and made himself a ghost gun. Knowing I had access to the tools I decided to make one as well.
I've always liked the look of the Vietnam era A2s  and wanted to build something that had the look but today's technology.
My rules were:
Had to look like an A2
MIL Spec or equivalent
Budget of $1000

Noteworthy parts:
Stripped 80% lower
ALG Trigger
16" .625 Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel
Ballistic Advantage A3 Upper Receiver, Melonite gas tube and A2 flash suppressor
BCM Bolt Carrier Group and Gunfighter Charge Handle
Magpul BAD lever
Triangular hand guards with a .625 cap.
NC Star detachable A2 Carry Handle
30RD Hex Mag (I like the honeycomb look)
I tried to reproduce this in the make your gun program and it looks close to this minus the hand guards.

I stayed under budget at $977. I'm hoping this firearm will be far superior to anything you can buy for $1000.
I don't have many parts pictures to post, I am at the waiting on parts stage. I will update as I go along.
I welcome any comments, advice, and constructive feedback.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Pardon me but that rifle you have rendered is pretty far from an A2 in appearance.  A2's had no removable carry handle and yours is way too long?  Looks like it belongs on a .308 AR.  A2's did not have 16", M4 carbine barrels.  The pistol grip is not A2 either.  Your handguard does not quite look like a round A2 rifle length handguard either.  The A2's did not have triangle handguards as stated in your text. They were on the early M16A0 and the M16A1.  After that Colt went to the round profile A2 handguard.

20" M16A2 look-alike:  (but with green furniture)

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry buddy, that is a decent looking rifle, but it does not look like any A2 I have ever seen and I own an original A2.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess in looking at some more pictures it is more of an retro'd A3.
I wasn't shooting (pun intended) for an exact  A2 replica, more of my modern interpretation. I have a command arms pistol grip for comfort.
I didn't want to be stuck with an upper w/ non-detachable handle. This way I have the option to add a scope. I know you can add a scope to the handle but that doesn't appeal to me.

That link for the picture isn't working.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to clarify, the M16 and M16A1 are Vietnam era weapons.  The M16A2 and following models are post Vietnam.  If you want a M16A2 clone your looking at a 1980's and later weapon design with heavier barrel, improved rear sight, round hand guards, improved lower receiver i.e. heavier/stronger.  Just some info to help clarify the look/type of clone you are attempting to build.

The illustration you provided looks to be pieced together from several AR/M16 designs, the carry handle looks to be from a AR10/SR25 .308 rifle, the upper has the appearance of a M4 carbine with a 16 barrel and Carbine gas system the lower has a A2 stock and non military pistol grip. The design has it's merits but strictly speaking is not a Vietnam M16 type of for that matter even a post Vietnam military type.  The M4 series has a telescopic stock design, the M16A2 has a non flat top upper with a rifle length gas system and 20 inch heavier barrel than a M16A1.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Man you guys are rough.. The OP stated he is not a gun guy and this is his first build. He likes that retro M16 style and aimed to build something similar in appearance. He never said he was building a replica. sheesh!
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It can be a tough room, but they know their ARs
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man you guys are rough.. The OP stated he is not a gun guy and this is his first build. He likes that retro M16 style and aimed to build something similar in appearance. He never said he was building a replica. sheesh!
View Quote

It can be a very rough website.  Even the old guys get the crap beat out of them once in a while!

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
May not be a pure A2, but if you're happy with it, that's what matters. That's a good looking rifle you have there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for info. That picture works now, I see what you mean.
I accept my Noob-ness.
Hopefully some parts start showing up. I've been waiting on my lower for 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok so I've been in the process of learning and waiting for parts.
I got my upper completed today. I'm using a real A2 Upper (Delton), Anderson 16" Barrel, A2 flash suppressor, Bravo BCG with a Bravo Gunfighter charge handle. Carbine gas set up with triangular hand guards.
I decided not to mill a 80% for this, and am picking up an Anderson stripped lower this weekend that I got for $50.
Upper finished from lapping:

Completed Upper:

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Learning about and assembling your own AR kicks ass.  Looks like your getting at it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks I've learned a lot. My lower was delivered to my FFL so hopefully I have it completed this weekend. I still need to get the GO NOGO gauge set.

I already have the plans laid out for my second build, I'm going to build a .223 wylde PA legal hunting rifle with a side charge bolt, no gas system and front capture pin so it's "permanently" a manually operated firearm.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ok so I've been in the process of learning and waiting for parts.

I got my upper completed today. I'm using a real A2 Upper (Delton), Anderson 16" Barrel, A2 flash suppressor, Bravo BCG with a Bravo Gunfighter charge handle. Carbine gas set up with triangular hand guards.

I decided not to mill a 80% for this, and am picking up an Anderson stripped lower this weekend that I got for $50.

Upper finished from lapping:

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/psubrock/Mobile%20Uploads/20160809_210056_zpskeir8fjq.jpg

Completed Upper:

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/psubrock/Mobile%20Uploads/20160809_231718_zpskdehmfay.jpg
View Quote
It ain't a ghost gun any more.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice build OP, very nice. Get some more mags while they are cheap and plentiful. Save your brass; if you don't reload now you might down the road.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My modern A2. Tomorrow the barrel/handguards are getting replaced with midlength versions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I still need to get the GO NOGO gauge set.
View Quote

That's debate-able ;-)

You done fine.  Keep at it and you'll only get better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]

that's light years better than my first attempt, good job.

it's just....jarring, to me.

your real name's not Johnny Cash is it?

my only A2

paint it black, add a happy switch, put a unmodified grip on it and it's a M16A2

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.
Final stats:
16" Carbine Anderson Barrel 1:8
Anderson Lower
BCM BCG and Gunfighter Charge Handle
Strike Ind. FA and Ejector Button
Custom Gun Rails Dust Cover
ALG Trigger

Here is the finished product:
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
What an adorable baby...

Hey, I'm glad you used quality parts, and are getting into shooting.

It looks like you have a very functional firearm with which to train.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is a better shot with her standing up.
I thought I would like the hex mags but they don't look right with the gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Got New barrel for better pointy thing attachment

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]
The A2 wasn't developed until years after the Vietnam war, you are thinking of the A1 or XM16.

My A2, mostly Colt.

" />
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
You're right looking back now I was trying to make an A1 looking Carbine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice, above some seem to feel I was being overly harsh, that was not the intention, Just wanted to clearly define what we were describing.  I've recently rebuilt one of my AR22LR's into that very rifle you have created.  Handy and light and the tree rats and Crows are hating it.

Quoted:
Here is a better shot with her standing up.
I thought I would like the hex mags but they don't look right with the gun.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/psubrock/20160819_201324_zpsv9akjnns.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]

A2s are cool.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top