Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2016 1:15:02 PM EDT
This is my first build and I am very excited.  I installed the trigger guard properly after consulting the excellent manuals and video resources. I was feeling pretty good then managed to convince myself I installed it incorrectly, so I drove out the roll pin and flipped the guard around, drove the pin in the wrong hole!  Since I cannot extract the pin, I consulted the forums here and saw that I will need to dremel the guard and pin to get them out.  Guess I will buy a new pin and guard with my next parts order.

Moral of the story:  Read the instructions, follow them, and don't second guess yourself!

Thank you all for the excellent resource.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even though I've installed over one hundred trigger guards without an issue. I've decided to only use the unit from Dead On Arms from now on. Absolutely no chance of breaking an ear off driving in the roll pin. It uses spring loaded pins, squeeze the pins in, slide into place, the pins pop out and it's installed.

Real close in appearance to the Magpul trigger guard.
View Quote

Little crows gun works "roll pin pusher" is the one I use and it was the original.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Destroying the trigger guard (cheapest part) to save the most most important part (the receiver) at all cost (free) is the right choice.  Don't bother trying to dig it out in less you are very competent and confident with a drill press or mill.  

Shoot me an IM with an address, I'll throw a guard and roll pin in an envelope.  I have several since I don't usually use the stock ones. Or use it as an opportunity to upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Destroying the trigger guard (cheapest part) to save the most most important part (the receiver) at all cost (free) is the right choice.  Don't bother trying to dig it out in less you are very competent and confident with a drill press or mill.  

Shoot me an IM with an address, I'll throw a guard and roll pin in an envelope.  I have several since I don't usually use the stock ones. Or use it as an opportunity to upgrade.
View Quote

Stuff like this makes this place great..
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a great offer!

Another option if you must have an aftermarket trigger guard is the Aero Precision scalloped option.  It does not use roll pins, it uses screws for all three holes and it's a very nice trigger guard.  

Aero Precision Trigger Guard
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know! I was just posting to warn any other new guys and AFCarbon15 made my freaking day!  Now I can stop navel gazing and continue to enjoy learning this platform.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a C clamp from your local hardware store.  Glue a piece of leather on the fixed side. Buff the pin down a tad. Easy peacy!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I did it with vice grips the First time (before convincing myself I was wrong) , c clamp sounds better.  I have screwed up the finish a bit bit figure some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black will fix it.  Function first, then pretty...
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#9]
i have 30-40 guards sitting in a box. happy to send ya one if you need it
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently traded for a stripped lower with a broken trigger guard ear. A cheap screw kit from ebay went in super easy, and I like the look more than a roll pin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know! I was just posting to warn any other new guys and AFCarbon15 made my freaking day!  Now I can stop navel gazing and continue to enjoy learning this platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I didn't make it yesterday, but I got it in the mail today.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i have 30-40 guards sitting in a box. happy to send ya one if you need it
View Quote

Another one of the good guys!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys on this forum seem really awesome.  Thank you all for your support and kindness.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
The last ten lowers I bought have an integral trigger guard.  I really like that a lot.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did it with vice grips the First time (before convincing myself I was wrong) , c clamp sounds better.  I have screwed up the finish a bit bit figure some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black will fix it.  Function first, then pretty...
View Quote

I use a piece of hard plastic (like clear plastic from packaging) on the back and a bench vice to press the roll pin in.  So far I am 2 for 2 for successfully doing it without marring a thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Even though I've installed over one hundred trigger guards without an issue. I've decided to only use the unit from Dead On Arms from now on. Absolutely no chance of breaking an ear off driving in the roll pin. It uses spring loaded pins, squeeze the pins in, slide into place, the pins pop out and it's installed.

View Quote

This. DOA for trigger guards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Update: I Used my Dremel to cut the old guard and was able to drive the roll pin out.  I didn't damage the receiver YAY!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
these are nice,wish the idea would become the new standard

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update: I Used my Dremel to cut the old guard and was able to drive the roll pin out.  I didn't damage the receiver YAY!!!
View Quote

Lesson learned!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top