Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2016 11:08:20 PM EDT
Hello all.  I am a new member to AR-15.  I have been around guns my entire life of 35 years but never owned a hand gun until this past Christmas and never anything of the "assault weapon" variety.  I have been reading and researching a bunch on the AR-15 and have decided that I want one or maybe three....LOL.  Not only do I want one but I am going to build one.  I have never done anything like this before so any help, insight, opinions, criticisms are welcome.  I may have went over board but I picked up 3 lower receivers today.  I also pay attention to this messed up place we call home and feel like it is only a matter of time before we may not be able to get firearms like this or maybe none at all so I figure now is as good as time as any.  So below is my list of items I am using to build the first one which I am considering the lower end build.  My second one will be my upgraded build and the third will be for my son later in life.

ANDERSON FIREARMS STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER $53 TAX INCLUDED
PALMETTO STATE ARMORY MAGPUL MOE LOWER BUILD KIT $139.99 + TAX AND SHIPPING

This is my start.  Please give me your input on the items I already have as well as any recommendations on a complete upper.  I am trying to keep this around the $500-$550 mark.  Radical Firearms has some decent pricing on complete uppers but I am not sure on their quality.  Anyone have any experience with these uppers?  I will post some pics as soon as the gear shows up.  Thanks for reading and the future responses
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forum, a lot of good info here!  I am a fairly new member but there is a ton of Knowledge here in the Important Threads, right here in this section.  Check it out for sure.  Again welcome, do not be afraid to join the site.  It isn't expensive and I think its cool to support something that I have learned so much on.  
Oh and be warned, once you build one, it wont be your last....

Nick
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site!  

People are friendly for the most part, the only time member really become rude is if someone starts acting rude themselves.

Good quality uppers at your price range are easy to find as long as you know what to look for.  You need to pay attention to the material it's made from.  Everyone will give you their opinion on what is acceptable to them and what they avoid.  There are brands that you can count on and some that are hit or miss.  Everyone has their favorites.  I have my favorites as well, but PSA does have some great uppers if you look for the right things (my opinion) since they use outside sources for their barrels, receivers, etc.

These are the things I look for when building my rifles.  This isn't the be all do all list for everyone, just what I try and purchase.

Barrels -

CHF (Cold Hammer Forged vanadium) steel barrels

SS410 (stainless steel) barrel

SS416R (stainless steel) barrel

1/7 twist or 1/8 twist rates (depending on rifle length 16" or 18")

5.56 nato chambered

.750 gas block

Receivers with -

7075-T6 Forged/billet

T marks

Forward assist

M4 feed ramps

Ejection port cover

Again, I'm not advising that this is what you should look for, these are just some of the things I try and look for when building my rifles.

Good luck and I hope you're able to find the right upper that you'll be satisfied with for thousands and thousands of rounds.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Not to be dumb, but where do I go to become a paying member?  I looked when I signed up for the free account but had no luck finding it.  I most definitely want to be a paying member.  I am thinking it is the JOIN THE NRA link in the top right of page but I am not sure.  Anyway, as far as the upper I am looking for.  I would like to find an 18" barrel chrome lined that has either a mid or rifle length gas system.  I am still learning, so what I think I know and what I completely understand are probably still light years apart....LOL.  Honestly, I am still pretty overwhelmed at the multitudes of places to look and purchase parts for these guns.  You could spent a lifetime looking for the best deals and then end up with 20 different purchases from 20 different places trying to get the best deal.  That is why I went ahead and got the PSA lower assembly kit, I was getting tired and crosseyed looking for the BEST deal I could find.  Anyway, looking forward to this and thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
At the top of the page, next to your  log in name click the little person go to memberships.  

Just remember you get what you pay for... for the most part.... Mil spec lower kits are pretty much the same.   I had big ambitions to only use cheap parts.   However I ended up changing (upgrading) quite a few parts, and I am building 2 more rifles with higher grade stuff.  not so cheap to buy once and replace later.. It is nice to assemble your own, its yours and you know every inch of it.  
Try to buy your parts from as few vendors as possible, it really saves on shipping costs, they will eat up your budget pretty quick.  My best suggestion is to read on here as much as you can, A lot of the questions i had were answered 3 or 4 times by others.  The Equipment Exchange is a good place to look for deals, but you have to move kinda quick things go pretty fast.  I try not to give much advice on this part or that part because honestly I don't know as much as some on here.  But here is one thing I will tell you, build the rifle YOU want.  Get advice on weather the parts are compatible or if they are quality, but try not to let others dictate what your "dream build" is.  Good Luck and have Fun.  

Nick
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright guys, I need your feedback.  I am looking at a Radical Firearms upper assembly, 16" 5.56 M4 profile with a melonite finish.  With shipping and tax I am looking at $257.99.  I am foregoing the options for the BCG and charging handle in the hopes that I might find a good deal on some BCM equipment soon.  I would appreciate any feedback regarding this product if you have any, also, is there anyway a man could build a COMPLETE barreled upper including BCG for less than $350?  Let me know what you all think and thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Alright guys, I need your feedback.  I am looking at a Radical Firearms upper assembly, 16" 5.56 M4 profile with a melonite finish.  With shipping and tax I am looking at $257.99.  I am foregoing the options for the BCG and charging handle in the hopes that I might find a good deal on some BCM equipment soon.  I would appreciate any feedback regarding this product if you have any, also, is there anyway a man could build a COMPLETE barreled upper including BCG for less than $350?  Let me know what you all think and thanks in advance.
View Quote
Stay away from Radical Firearms

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you give reasons for your opinion rodeoboater?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
There have been several threads recently about barrel extensions coming off and general gripes about their quality control. PSA has even started to have QC issues as of late.

Look into andro corp
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you have an absolute need for a traditional A2 style front sight base, invest in tools that will enable you to build your own upper from scratch.

That way you can get exactly what you want and not have to pay too much, or settle for something that isn't what you really want.

Assuming you have access to a workbench with a vice, you can start with a common gunsmith's hammer, lower vice block, upper vice block, punches, and common armorer's wrench.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input wrench guy.  I do have all tools needed already so that is a plus.  I will need to get the upper vise block if I decide to go that route.  The biggest trouble I am facing is figuring out if I can build one for as cheap as one you can buy one already assembled.  I have no problem buying and paying for quality, but with this being my first build I am trying to make it a budget build so finding a quality upper already assembled or the parts to do so myself in the price I am looking for seems to be my biggest hurdle so far.  Do you have any input on where I can look for quality parts or assembled uppers?  I have been searching the normal places but no luck.  I am sure there is a small manufacturer out there that makes good quality parts at a fair value?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Also look into "custom" built uppers.  What I mean by that is there are retail companies that have manufactures build uppers exclusively for that store.  In doing so, you're able to get an awesome upper for usually half the price you'd pay for the similar (not exact) model that the manufacture is currently selling.  Obviously this is going to push your $500-550 budget just a tad over, but not by much considering what you're getting.

For example only (both are Out of Stock currently).

Daniel Defense 16" upper M4A1 $1219.00

https://danieldefense.com/upper-receiver-groups/carbine-length-urg/daniel-defense-m4-urg-m4a1.html

Daniel Defense 16" upper A4 $649.95

https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-carbine-length-16-complete-upper-w-12-0-rail-ws-17/

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input wrench guy.  I do have all tools needed already so that is a plus.  I will need to get the upper vise block if I decide to go that route.  The biggest trouble I am facing is figuring out if I can build one for as cheap as one you can buy one already assembled.  I have no problem buying and paying for quality, but with this being my first build I am trying to make it a budget build so finding a quality upper already assembled or the parts to do so myself in the price I am looking for seems to be my biggest hurdle so far.  Do you have any input on where I can look for quality parts or assembled uppers?  I have been searching the normal places but no luck.  I am sure there is a small manufacturer out there that makes good quality parts at a fair value?
View Quote

So what type of upper are you looking for with your first build, a traditional M4 style with front sight, or a free floated rail type?

There are many ways you can go, and since you plan to build more than one, its good to start simple.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Check JoeBob's for some uppers and parts... http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Upper_Receivers_s/2642.htm

A full mil-spec bolt is recommended... http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-black-c-158-mpi-complete.htm

A great deal on an M4 style barrel assembly... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1503160.htm  You'll need to add a delta ring kit to this too.

Add the handguard and rear sight of your choice... maybe a drop-in quad rail and Matech sight to keep it close to an M4?  Thats what you need to determine for yourself.

A different barrel and handguard if thats not what you prefer?  

You see where I going with this?  Its a project with almost unending options, so you need to get an idea of what you want.

BUT, I would grab the upper receiver and associated small parts from JoeBob's while they are in stock...receivers seem to be the hardest parts to get right now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone has already mentioned Andro Corp. I don't have any personal experience with their uppers, but have heard good things.  

556 NATO 16" QR12 Upper Mid-Length

http://androcorpind.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_102&product_id=102

556 NATO 16" M4QR Upper Carbine

http://androcorpind.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_102&product_id=106
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be building an M4/A3 variant.  I like the flat top look on the receiver.  Possibly a free float barrel with quad rail handguard and flip up / back up front and rear sights.  I will put an optic on it eventually but for now iron sights are just fine.  I am very new to the AR platform and what drew me to it was all the customization and options but it seems those pro's are also the con's.  There is almost to much out there for a newbie to even fathom.  See upper receiver parts list below.  Let me know what y'all  think.

GROUND ZERO PRECISION STRIPPED UPPER - $64.95
GROUND ZERO PRECISION UPPER PARTS KIT W/ CHARGING HANDLE - $35.29

Still need to nail down a barrel, gas tube and block, handgaurd, sights, and all associated hardware for this assmebly.  

Any feedback or reviews on Ground Zero gear?  I was also looking at a Rousch barrel, anyone heard of them or used them in a build?  Feedback on that barrel?  Thanks a ton guys and keep the posts coming guys they are helping a ton.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I didnt forget about the BCG in the build just in my last reply.  I am leaning towards a Bravo Company bolt carrier group, I have found them ranging from $150-$170 and I have heard and read a lot of good things about them.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out the links I posted above, the uppers, parts, and the BCG there are a better deal. (Toolcraft makes a lot of the "branded" mil-spec BCGs)

If you want to free float, take a look at the Faxon Gunner barrels, and the Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrels...those are two of the best deals out there on mid-to-light weight barrels today, great quality too.

For a very good deal on a quality rail, check out ALG, a sister brand to Geissele... http://algdefense.com/rails.html

I recommend the V2 or V3 rail from ALG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#18]
For a barrel I would look at Ballistic Advantage. They are great barrels at normal prices....
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless you are 100% committed to building your one upper from parts you will be hard pressed to piece together an upper for less than one from Andro Corp honestly.  You at a minimum will  need a bench vise 4" or larger mounted to something solid, an upper receiver block or rod and barrel blocks (I have a clamshell and plastics revolution blocks and home made hardwood barrel blocks)  an armorers wrench (the grey DPMS is a good one), some punches, some aero shell grease, and a hammer.  It's not a lot in tools, but it's not insignificant. Less the vise and hammer expect to spend about $125-150.

No input on that upper receiver, but aero has blem complete receivers for $75 and it's a known good quality receiver. If you buy more than $100 in stuff the shipping is free from them. Their LPKs are very nice as well IMO.

For rails look at Samson, Midwest, UTG Pro (specifically this line, they aren't cheap despite the UTG name), And Daniel Defense. Those are my go-to brands now.

For BCGs I would just go with one from AIM surplus (though pickings are slim right now). Charging handles I would go with BCM from AIM as well (free shipping). Same deal for a pistol grip of you so desire something other than what comes in the LPK.

Barrels I would look at Schuyler Arms, Ballsitic Advantage, or Andro for one. They are all Ballistic Advantage barrels anyways. Andro has a pretty good ARFCOM member discount in the EE on These barrels.

Gas tubes are all pretty much the same. I'd get it from whoever you buy your gas block from or are or  getting parts from and can tag it along for free shipping. For a gas block there are a ton of options for both adjustable and non-adjustable. For adjustable I would go with SLR, Syrac, or micro MOA.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I would advise wait on the free floating quad rail. Figure out your shooting style and what you actually need. Realistically, you don't need all that tacticool crap. I took off my quad rails, put in magpul moe m-lock hand guards, hand stop and white light. Lean, mean, light, effective.

ETA: if you are building a SPR tack driver, then you need to free float.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the action on this thread.  Without the help and experience of all who have participated on this thread I would say a lot of builds wouldnt even get off the ground and if they do you all are saving people a lot of money and time so thanks to everyone who has, is and will continue to participate.  I bit the bullet and bought the blemished upper that came with the forward assist and dust cover already installed for $74.99.  To get the free shipping I threw in a $20 charging handle and a $12.99 barrel torque tool.  Grand total was $106.99.  I checked on Faxon barrels last night after my last bit of activity here in the thread.  I must say they have a very easy website to navigate and reasonable pricing on their products.  I am going to go with one of their setups.  Barrel, gas tube and gas block will come in @ $205.98 plus tax and shipping.  Very pleased with this.  I am most likely going to go over the budget of $600 but to get quality parts plus the experience of putting it together and the knowledge of it all, I say an extremely good value.  I still need to nail down the BCG, handguard, sights, and a sling.  Total price to date is $286.99. I have a lot of tools necessary however I have had to purchase a few items.  Roll pin punch set, lower vise block, small gunsmith hammer, armorers wrench, and the barrel tourque wrench but I may have not needed that if the armorers wrench comes with that on it already.  Anyway, parts are due to the house starting tomorrow and through next week.  I am going to wait to start assembly until I have everything I need including unordered items.  I will post pics of all the goodies once I have them in hand.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There have been several threads recently about barrel extensions coming off and general gripes about their quality control. PSA has even started to have QC issues as of late.  

Look into andro corp
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look into andro corp

^This.  For my first AR-15, I bought a complete upper from Jason at Androcorp and have been extremely happy with the amount of quality you get for the cash.  They use BA barrels and quality components.

For my second AR, I decided to build an upper through Black Friday sales and got some pretty good deals on high end parts...but it wasn't cheap.  Factor in the cost of tools (BEV block, Armorer's wrench, good vice, punches, 33MS, etc...) and it end up costing more than I anticipated, but I know every little detail about my build and I'm the hands-on type that likes to build and experiment so it was worth it to me.

Lots of great deals from industry partners, here are some that I've used recently:

www.androcorpind.com (great prices on everything for ARFCOM members)
www.sgammo.com  (ammo to feed the beast)
www.righttobear.com  (great prices on parts, fast shipping)

Either way you go, have fun and post pics when you're done!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
So I have already purchased the Anderson lower receiver and I will be using a Faxon Barrel.  Being from the Cincinnati, OH area and already having two local companies products in my build, I was wondering if there are any other local companies who make parts for these guns?  Anybody have any input on this?  My lower parts kit and some tools showed up the other night.  Upper should be here in less than 2 weeks which gives me plenty of time to research more on the BCG.  PSA is offering blemished BCG for $75 but I am truly leaning towards a BCM.  Anyone have any advice on the BCG.  I have read several times from several resources that the lower receiver, BCG, and the barrel are usually the least swapped out parts and also usually where most patrons spend the money.  Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#25]
The PSA premium bolt will serve you well, unless you feel the need to spend more $$$.

Just be sure its a premium c158 bolt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Spend the money on a good barrel and trigger. The rest of the parts you can save money on and upgrade or replace later.

BCGs can be had for under $100 now and are of great quality. PSA premium, AIM surplus, Toolcarft are all good to go. Mil Spec phosphate or Nitride are both fine. Some say Nitride will clean better. I have not really noticed much difference.
NiB coating is popular but it can flake off and is not needed.

I have heard good things about Faxon and Ballistic Advantage barrels. I have PSA barrels on a few guns and they shoot decent. RedX arms barrel on one and it shoots well but the chamber is very tight and it took a couple thousand rounds to stop having ejection issues. This was bought during the shortage so I stuck with it but would not buy one again. I just bought a couple of LaRue barrels and have to say these things are lasers.

I have both LaRue MBT and Geiselle SSA triggers. Both are excellent. I also had an ALG ACT trigger and it was pretty good compared to standard mil spec.

Figure out what you want and watch sales and the EE here. You can get what you want and save money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Just purchased a BCG from WC armory.  Purchased the .223/5.556 BCG black Carpenter steel 158, $97.05 shipped.  All thats left is the barrel, handguard, sling, and of course tons of ammo.  Can anyone with experience purchasing from Faxon tell me if their barrels come with all the necessary hardware to install the barrel?  I am going to start looking for the a good sling.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:52:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome thread I rolled upon. Fellow Cincinnatian here as well and first time builder. I also went with Anderson lower, and plan on picking up a Faxon barrel. Excited to see our builds come together my friend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just purchased a BCG from WC armory.  Purchased the .223/5.556 BCG black Carpenter steel 158, $97.05 shipped.  All thats left is the barrel, handguard, sling, and of course tons of ammo.  Can anyone with experience purchasing from Faxon tell me if their barrels come with all the necessary hardware to install the barrel?  I am going to start looking for the a good sling.
View Quote

I bought a Faxon barrel, but have not installed it yet. With barrels of any maker, you usually only get a bare barrel, unless the sale listing lists other parts. But, I really don't know what other parts you would expect to get with it. Gas blocks are an optional add on with Faxon. Many modern free float handguards come with their own proprietary barrel nut, but if yours doesn't, standard barrel nuts are cheap and plentiful, as are gas tubes and A2 flash hiders. The AR15 parts world is your oyster. Just read and shop carefully.

On Handguards, reports seem to indicate that Midwest Industries, Odin Works, Faxon, and ALG Industries are offering very good quality handguards at competitive prices. You can always step up to one of the "Sexier" handguards like the SLR Rifleworks ones and others, or go for one of the big industry names with top reputations like Noveske, Daniel Defense, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the input guys.  Since all the other furniture on this build is Magpul, I am leaning towards the Magpul MOE mid length handguard.  My LGS carries Magpul products so I may just buzz down there and get myself one sooner than later.  I was not aware that the handguards would come with their own hardware.  Learning so much with this first build.  I was looking again last night at the Faxon Barrels and I could have sworn that it came with a barrel nut, but maybe not, that will not deter me from supporting the local business.  As for you Steve Huck, cant wait to see some of your pics and see how your build turns out as well.  They should put build classes together at Point Blank, they offer a beginners class on tactical rifles and I also think a class on how to build the lower but they should come up with a program where you go in and pick out ALL your parts and you put them all together then test your new build out on the range.  That would be cool.  Thanks for all the support and interest.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input guys.  Since all the other furniture on this build is Magpul, I am leaning towards the Magpul MOE mid length handguard.  My LGS carries Magpul products so I may just buzz down there and get myself one sooner than later.  I was not aware that the handguards would come with their own hardware.  Learning so much with this first build.  I was looking again last night at the Faxon Barrels and I could have sworn that it came with a barrel nut, but maybe not, that will not deter me from supporting the local business.  As for you Steve Huck, cant wait to see some of your pics and see how your build turns out as well.  They should put build classes together at Point Blank, they offer a beginners class on tactical rifles and I also think a class on how to build the lower but they should come up with a program where you go in and pick out ALL your parts and you put them all together then test your new build out on the range.  That would be cool.  Thanks for all the support and interest.
View Quote

OK, if you want a Magpul handguard, you will need some type of front sight/gas block and handguard cap as that is what the handguard is secured with.

See this upper...

There is a front sight base (FSB) pinned to the barrel...this is required for a drop-in Magpul handguard.

Is this what you have in mind?

EDIT...

Faxon 16" middy with FSB, very nice barrel, but typical government profile under the handguard which I find completely retarded.

Sionics 16" middy with FSB, (Green Mountain barrel) chrome lined, has a bit more mass under the handguard and a 1:8 twist.

I would recommend the Sionics (Green Mountain) over any comparably priced barrel for use with a standard drop-in type of handguard like the Magpul.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, the Faxon setup is the one I am going with. Reasons I am sold on this barrel is (1) For me, they are local (2) Quality/Price ratio is superb, what you are paying for v.s. what you get is awesome based on what I have been able to research and dig up. They are an areospace company here in Cincinnati that through some trial and error found out they could produce items for the defense department. They have taken the high quality standards used in the aerospace manufacturing plant and have applied the same rigorous standards to their defense sector products. Actually from what I read today, a lot of companies who make firearms and/or parts got their start in this very same way. With them manufacturing their own barrels I wouldnt be surprised at all to find out they are supplying the big box guys with their barrels. (3) They are in my price range. (4) I am not familiar enough with all the different variants of the AR15, or their many options.  SECOND PART OF RESPONSE TO FOLLOW
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyway, this is my first build and I am learning, anxious and eager and from what I can tell there are seemingly endless possibilites.  Another thing I think I have learned is that as long as you are buying reputable brands you are doing a good thing, no name or big name, if they are selling quality products no matter what the price and have superior customer service you cant go wrong, just go with what you like as long as it is in your budget.  The big budget companies that sell the high end items have issues just the same as the low end companies its just the high end guys have the money to make it go away faster and keep it quiet.  Anymore big business is about politics and we all know government is big business, they need each other and fuel each other.  That being said, I am curious to find out through my lower budget build v.s. my higher budget build, what the difference is in quality is v.s. what I am paying out to get it.  It really doesnt seem logical to me to spend $2,000 or more on something when you can spend $600 but I am just a broke hillbilly, what do I know.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
UPDATE....I have all the parts in hand except a barrel.  That being said, I was just fooling around with the Aero Precision blemished upper along with the AP charging handle and WC Armory bolt carrier group.  I put the charging handle and the BCG in the upper and everything looks to fit just like it should, my problem is that the dust cover will not shut.  Havent determined if this is a problem with the upper or the BCG.  Has anyone else had this issue with either of these 2 products from these companies? Something out of spec.?  I wish they would tell you what the flaw is when you purchase this stuff, I have looked over the upper receiver several times and can not find why they would have sold it as a blemished item.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Some more input on Uppers if you haven't bought one yet. I have two complete uppers from Hardened Arms. www.hardenedarms.com  One is a 5.56 10.5in pistol and the other is a 300blk 10.5in pistol. Both have been outstanding and are reasonably priced.

I also have two PSA uppers. Both 16in Stainless barrels. Again, both have been flawless. I wouldn't say they're of the quality of the Hardened Arms uppers but they perform extremely well and run just about any ammo I run through them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes I have purchased a upper receiver already.  It is an Aero Precision blemished upper.  It came with the forward assist and dust cover installed.  I also purchased a WC Armory bolt carrier group.  The dust cover will not close with the BCG in the receiver.  The housing for the plunger on the dust cover interferes with the side of the bolt carrier as it goes through the receiver.  Any help, thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Fooling around with the upper and BCG more today and figured out I had the BCG in the upper backwards.  Not sure I want to admit that but I am not afraid to say or admit when I am wrong or dont know something.  I will be waiting a while for the barrel and some tools.  Wife and I are very close to a financial goal of ours and I am putting the build on hold for now.  Should be able to pick back up in April or so but we will see.  Thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top