Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 11:53:41 PM EDT
I'm a new guy to the forums, doing my first full AR-15, figured this would be the best place to get advice and pointers.
I'm building on a spikes Honeybadger lower, (planning a crusader next time) spikes milspec buffer tube, RRA lpk, kns dog bones, hogue grip, a blemished spikes upper (cerakote planned), Spikes Nickel Boron BCG (loving gift from my lady) magpul ACS foliage green stock.
Current plans include
WMD charging handle (I'm thinking that's my Christmas gift from the future in laws)
Jp enterprises buffer spring
Magpul mbus pro
Generic slim quad rail
Noveske double chrome lined chf 16 inch barrel, 5.56
Afg or vfg
Vortex strikefire II and VMX 3t magnifier

Just wanted to introduce myself, and open myself up to some pointers, and maybe some advice on what does or doesn't work
Main use of this build is for small hogs, coyotes, maybe a white tail out to 100 yards or so. I doubt I'll stretch out the range much further in texas brush and woods, but I may do some 300 yard targets for fun, just trying to build a way over built ar15 for reliability and basic accuracy.
I've got a lever gun for larger game and a bolt gun for greater distance, and a ksg for the two legged home invaders, this is just my fun gun
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the community and congrats on the new build. It sounds like a great selection of parts. I built mine with a Spikes lower receiver and buffer tube kit. Great company and products. The only part that sticks out, and I would suggest against, is the "generic hand guard". It's a bit of a fumble at the 5-yard line and often leads to fitment and reliability issues with corresponding parts. Post pics a show off your work when it's done.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the community and congrats on the new build. It sounds like a great selection of parts. I built mine with a Spikes lower receiver and buffer tube kit. Great company and products. The only part that sticks out, and I would suggest against, is the "generic hand guard". It's a bit of a fumble at the 5-yard line and often leads to fitment and reliability issues with corresponding parts. Post pics a show off your work when it's done.
View Quote

It's a handguard that the seller won't tell me the actual manufacturer, it's a slim line like a parallax, but a quadrail the whole length, very nice and fit well on the Future Father in Laws ar build
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
From your parts list, it looks like you know what you'real doing.  Except for not knowing the rail, you also need the gas block and gas tube.  I'm guessing mid-length based on your barrel choice.  Lots of choices on muzzle devices depending what you'll be doing with this gun.  Were you thinking low profile gas block completely inside of the rail?  Hopefully the generic rail doesn't cause you to compromise too much on the gas block and muzzle device.  Welcome, good luck, and yes, post pictures...  Most of us really enjoy seeing what others are building (me, so I can shamelessly steal your ideas and experience )
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From your parts list, it looks like you know what you'real doing.  Except for not knowing the rail, you also need the gas block and gas tube.  I'm guessing mid-length based on your barrel choice.  Lots of choices on muzzle devices depending what you'll be doing with this gun.  Were you thinking low profile gas block completely inside of the rail?  Hopefully the generic rail doesn't cause you to compromise too much on the gas block and muzzle device.  Welcome, good luck, and yes, post pictures...  Most of us really enjoy seeing what others are building (me, so I can shamelessly steal your ideas and experience )
View Quote

Mid length is what the barrel comes at,  with a .75 lo pro gas block
A2 birdcage appears best price,  and a middle ground for all the features I want.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with a birdcage. Build number 5 and probably 8 or 9 different expensive comps and hiders over the years I'm back to using a good old a2.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Is linking to a part on a site considered a no-no here? Maybe someone would recognize the part based on dimension or look and I could know the quality of the quad rail I'm looking at, since the seller is so tight lipped
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is linking to a part on a site considered a no-no here? Maybe someone would recognize the part based on dimension or look and I could know the quality of the quad rail I'm looking at, since the seller is so tight lipped
View Quote

You can link. Personally, with all the options for hand gaurds out there, many under $200, nice ones too. I wouldn't even consider buying something unknown especially from a seller that wasn't forthcoming about the product.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.ar15part.com/product-p/g1nqrstbnexrl.htm

I'm looking for something thin like this at a 15 inch length or so, so I can reach my orangutan arms out and still have my light out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm looking for something thin like this at a 15 inch length or so, so I can reach my orangutan arms out and still have my light out there.
View Quote

I don't recognize the rail.  Doesn't look bad, and a pretty nice price point. They say they get them manufactured to their specs.  Not sure its a free float but, it appears to be. There a lot of 15" free-float KeyMod and MLok rails out there with a low profile (1.3" I.D.).  Some are pretty high end like BCM, SLR Rifleworks, Seekins, Samson, etc which are all top notch.  Midwest Industries has a pretty big range of hand guards at decent prices.  Too many to name them all.  Research, and do what you're doing... ask the experts on this board.  You'll have no end of opinions, but in the end, it's your choice.  Kind of the fun part of building from scratch.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the high end companies, but I am gravely behind on the key mod and other new systems, and I can only find 2 quad rails that look similar, a parallax tactical, and the closest one is the skull tactical, but no one seems to have reviewed them other than one endorser, it fits well on the other ar recently built by the father in law, but fits and shoots are gravely different, and there is nothing down that tube yet
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't recognize the rail.  Doesn't look bad, and a pretty nice price point. They say they get them manufactured to their specs.  Not sure its a free float but, it appears to be. There a lot of 15" free-float KeyMod and MLok rails out there with a low profile (1.3" I.D.).  Some are pretty high end like BCM, SLR Rifleworks, Seekins, Samson, etc which are all top notch.  Midwest Industries has a pretty big range of hand guards at decent prices.  Too many to name them all.  Research, and do what you're doing... ask the experts on this board.  You'll have no end of opinions, but in the end, it's your choice.  Kind of the fun part of building from scratch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree go with a keymod or mlok free float rail. Youll get all that extension youre looking for and less clutter. Only attachun  therails where you want them. Amazon has a ton for less than 100$. Lots of reviews for you to decide.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#14]
That price is going to be tough to beat.

Utg pro super slim keymod , I've owned two and loved them, very light

Psa sqr hybrid, a kac urx knockoff also very nice but a little heavy

In the end I went back to basics with the kac ras I got in trade

All of these were in the $140 range. For the price of the one you're looking at, I say do it, if you don't like it sell it at a bargain and try something else. The above pics are all the same rifle over the course of the last year, a little patience and buy sell, trade and you can try lots of stuff without breaking your bank.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That price is going to be tough to beat.

Utg pro super slim keymod , I've owned two and loved them, very light
<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/mine/IMAG1235.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/mine/IMAG1235.jpg</a>

Psa sqr hybrid, a kac urx knockoff also very nice but a little heavy
<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150703_210621.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150703_210621.jpg</a>

In the end I went back to basics with the kac ras I got in trade
<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/C1FD9882-62FD-466B-A97A-2654F4E9165C.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/C1FD9882-62FD-466B-A97A-2654F4E9165C.jpg</a>

All of these were in the $140 range. For the price of the one you're looking at, I say do it, if you don't like it sell it at a bargain and try something else. The above pics are all the same rifle over the course of the last year, a little patience and buy sell, trade and you can try lots of stuff without breaking your bank.
View Quote

Been doing research, I think I favor the mlok over the keymod,
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top