Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2015 10:40:18 PM EDT
I want to get into milling out 80% lowers, but know nothing about it.

Both of the above jigs are on sale right now.  Is the modulus arms jig truly universal as advertised?  Is this jib compatible with tactical machining 80% lowers?  They have some of the cheapest anodized lowers I can find at $43.

The 80 percent arms jig is proprietary and can only be used with their lowers which are billet and around $99 each.

Does the modulus arms jig use a router and template to mill out the trigger pocket like the 80 percent arms jig?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a modulus jig
and I'm happy with the results.

Never used the other.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of our Jigs come with a Universal Compatibility Guarantee. It will fit Tactical Machining and anyone else you want.

Our Standard AR-15 and the All New Heavy-Duty AR-15 Universal Jig are both designed and optimized to be completed with a router. The All New Heavy-Duty Jig is designed with all wear surfaces made of high strength alloy steel for outstanding life and wear resistance among other features.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to get a jig from you all, maybe some lowers as well.

I'm also interested in the 308 jig.  Is it universal as well?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used both.  It is true, the Modulus Jig will fit any lower.  I've completed both the New Frontier billets and the Iconic Industries lowers on a Modulus Jig.  Neither of these would work on the 80% arms "universal" jig.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to get a jig from you all, maybe some lowers as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of our Jigs come with a Universal Compatibility Guarantee. It will fit Tactical Machining and anyone else you want.

Our Standard AR-15 and the All New Heavy-Duty AR-15 Universal Jig are both designed and optimized to be completed with a router. The All New Heavy-Duty Jig is designed with all wear surfaces made of high strength alloy steel for outstanding life and wear resistance among other features.

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Tactical machining has their own jig. I have used both their 80% lower, jig, as well as their upper receiver and all was great. I liked their jig because the safety selector hole guide had a stainless steel insert making it more reusable. I could not find another place to get an 80% lower at a better price. Nor could I find a better jig at at a better price. Tactical machining is a one stop shop for that as far as I'm concerned. I used a 1/4 inch center cutting end mill I got from Brownells for about $40. I got the .154 drill bits for the trigger and hammer pin from Amazon really cheap. I already had the right size for the safety selector hole. By the way .154 is the size of the small/ standard trigger and hammer pin sizes, not the larger. It all works great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.... I got the .154 drill bits for the trigger and hammer pin from Amazon really cheap. .. .154 is the size of the small/ standard trigger and hammer pin sizes, not the larger. It all works great.
View Quote

Print calls for .156. I have done it using a #23 drill (.154) as well as with 5/32 (.156) and find no discernible difference between the two.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the difference is really hardly noticeable. I mainly stated that difference because in my own experience, purchasing the anti rotation/ walk pins, they were offered in .154 and .155, so I got the .154 and drill bits to accommodate.

I also went with the smaller sized bits just in case my drill press had more play than a fancy drill press, milling machine, or CNC. That is also the very reason I wanted anti walk pins. If standard pins walked in my lower it would get really annoying. Buying anti rotation/ walk pins for $30 bucks or so is way cheaper than a fancy machine.

Either way my .154 pins went in snug. Whatever. The trigger parts don't wiggle...... It goes bang and bullets hit things, success.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top