Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2015 3:17:53 AM EDT
What tools do i need to pin and weld muzzle devices?  Is there a certain type of drill press that is better than the other?  How do you hold the barrel/muzzle device in place?

I have a friend with a tig welder so I got that covered, just need everything else.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Most vises will have a angle cut into the jaws to hold anything round.  Use a sharp punch to mark where to drill (this will stop the bit from walking).  Then use a 30 degree counter sink after the hole is drilled (this will recess the weld a little).  After drilling and counter sinking the muzzle device it gets installed on the barrel.  Use the drilled hole for a guild to help drill into the barrel.  I just use a cordless for that.  Now just drop the pin in and weld over it.

Just remember to use oil when drilling and make sure the drill press is level.

Melonite treated surfaces are much harder to drill.

Practice on a piece of old pipe a couple times.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this drill press good?
http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200365427_200365427?hotline=false

where do you get the pins?  What type of drill bits and size?

If a drill press is overkill please tell me how you do it.  I have been reading some walk throughs and it seems alot of people are using hand drills.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A drill press where you could set the quill to stop is best but that would work.

I would touch the drill off the top of the threads and mark the press with tape or marker then only go about .05 deep.

easy pecks until the drill is cutting smooth and use the hole in the muzzle device for a guide
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Center punch your hole on the bottom of your muzzle device. Drill that first. Put said muzzle device on barrel. Align your drill with the hole in the muzzle device. This will act as a guide an ensure the holes are on top of one another. Touch the drill (not spinning) to the barrel threads. Set quill stop for 1/16 or 3/32 more advancement. Drill your hole. Cut off shank of drill an put it in the hole. Tack it. Done.

I did it with a pistol drill. No problem.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]

No offense OP, but given the questions you ask, if I were you I send to ADCO or some other company to have it done professionally and legally

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you buy the barrel from Ballastics Advantage, they will pin and weld the muzzle device but you have to send them the muzzle device.  The cost was reasonable from what I remember.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No offense OP, but given the questions you ask, if I were you I send to ADCO or some other company to have it done professionally and legally

View Quote

Please explain to me what is wrong with the questions i asked.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
To add, many of the new muzzle devices have a hole predrilled. You nay want to consider one of the.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with the questions you asked. The point is this. A person doing something for the first time can not do it as well or as of high quality as someone who is a professional at it. Unless you get really lucky. There's several things that can go wrong. I've had ADCO do a pin and weld for me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with the questions you asked. The point is this. A person doing something for the first time can not do it as well or as of high quality as someone who is a professional at it. Unless you get really lucky. There's several things that can go wrong. I've had ADCO do a pin and weld for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if he never does it for the first time, how is he ever going to learn?

Seriously.   Once upon a time, I'd never changed my own brakes before either.   But you know what?  I wanted to know how.  So I did it.   And over the years I have saved a small fortune by doing my own brakes.

If he wants to learn, and to do it himself, then more power to him.  At least he is asking questions so he understands the process, rather than charging in with a dremel and a 220 Millermatic.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This^

By the time you invest in tools, headache, and man hours, just send it to ADCO and have it back in less than a week.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This^

By the time you invest in tools, headache, and man hours, just send it to ADCO and have it back in less than a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

Where's the fun in that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.

But from the questions you ask, it appears to me that you lack the technical skills to successfully pin and weld a muzzle device.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.

But from the questions you ask, it appears to me that you lack the technical skills to successfully pin and weld a muzzle device.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.

Youre right, and thats why im here, eager to learn.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol I just snugged the muzzle on the barrel and drilled a hole with a bit that was a similar size of the piece of coat hanger I was using. Just don't go to deep or you'll ruin the barrel. Next weld the pin hole closed. Yes a coat hanger piece is perfectly legal.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top