Ares Armor Ergo Griip
Ares Armor BCG
Enfield Rifle Co 16in Barrel with 1in7 twist, CMV
KAC BUIS
Ares Armor Blem Upper
BCM Gunfighter large latch CH

CA Compliant

[Flame suit on]

If you've got a ghetto build, post it up.

EDIT: Added last 3 photos
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I was honestly expecting something much worse based on your title.

Much dissapoint
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That BCM gunfighter charging handle is wayyy too bourgeois for a cheap ass ghetto build. I too am of much disappoint.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey it looks good to me if that is what you have to contend with in Commiefuckafornia! Have you thought about a set of EZ Pull takedown and pivot pins. Might make it a little easier to pop the upper in order to refill the mag??

As to poly lowers. IMHO it is a manufactured BS argument. If you are using a lower in a manner that is likely to break it off at the buffer tube, don't fucking be surprised when it does. And that applies to aluminum lowers as well. I've been shooting ARs for 30 years and have never broken a lower. I will readily accept that there are/were some lowers made that likely were substandard and did break IN NORMAL USE. I have never seen one like that in my life. Again, 90% of all shooters will never put enough use on their guns to break anything in/on it. If the poly lowers were such shit, we would be seeing a lot of them being returned. We aren't. Funny to me how people love poly lower pistols (me included, 2 Kahrs) but refuse to accept poly lowers for ARs ( I have one  as well).

Shoot the shit out of that poly lower and enjoy it
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Much dissapoint
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Much dissapoint

Sorry.

Quoted:
That BCM gunfighter charging handle is wayyy too bourgeois for a cheap ass ghetto build. I too am of much disappoint.

Honestly, I needed a CH asap and the only thing the local stores had were the BCMs lol. I know they throw it off :/

Again, sorry. Will it make it better if I scrawl a poorly drawn zombie on the side in bright green paint?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey it looks good to me if that is what you have to contend with in Commiefuckafornia! Have you thought about a set of EZ Pull takedown and pivot pins. Might make it a little easier to pop the upper in order to refill the mag??

As to poly lowers. IMHO it is a manufactured BS argument. If you are using a lower in a manner that is likely to break it off at the buffer tube, don't fucking be surprised when it does. And that applies to aluminum lowers as well. I've been shooting ARs for 30 years and have never broken a lower. I will readily accept that there are/were some lowers made that likely were substandard and did break IN NORMAL USE. I have never seen one like that in my life. Again, 90% of all shooters will never put enough use on their guns to break anything in/on it. If the poly lowers were such shit, we would be seeing a lot of them being returned. We aren't. Funny to me how people love poly lower pistols (me included, 2 Kahrs) but refuse to accept poly lowers for ARs ( I have one  as well).

View Quote

Thanks! I appreciate the sentiment.

ETA: As for your question at the beginning, I picked up a few of these:

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree 100% with this statement.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Not bad for a ghetto build. How much you have invested if you don't mind sharing?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not bad for a ghetto build. How much you have invested if you don't mind sharing?
View Quote

Shit, I've lost count. Lemme do some math lol.

Just under $550 (minus tax+shipping) if my calculations/memory are correct. I've had a bunch of the parts waiting on completing a lower for over a year now, and I decided to complete a polymer 80 real quick just to get it up and running. The plus side is that I can swing by Ares Armor on my way home from work, so that cut down on overall shipping.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I don't know that I'd call mine ghetto, but I definitely did it on the cheap:

Ares poly 80% lower-free (ish; a friend of mine gave it to me for helping him out with other stuff)
Aero precision LW upper-$40
DSA BCG & CH: $89 shipped
PSA Blackhak LBK W/O FCG: $88 shipped
CMMG FCG-free (another friend I helped out)
M4 barrel and gas tube-$115 shipped from JSE
Cheapie flip up sights-$16 on ebay
FF 10" keymod handguard-$60 ebay cheapie
Aluminum GB-$8 shipped on eBay
Hogue grip: $21 shipped on eBay
Trijicon MS-04-free (yet another friend I've lent a hand to many times)
6/4 ELI Ti muzzle brake-$6 in materials, I made it
6061-T6511 RE nut-free, made it
7075-T6 selector-free, made it
7075-T6 mount for MS-04 RDS-free, made it

Also lightened the upper, the bolt carrier and the barrel.

unloaded weight with sights and RDS: 4.87 lbs
my out -of-pocket expenditure: $443

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1419_zpsegzxlkkf.jpg

Ares poly 80% lower-free (ish; a friend of mine gave it to me for helping him out with other stuff)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1419_zpsegzxlkkf.jpg

Bonus points for blackhawk gear. Pretty dope that you made some of your own parts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Much dissapoint
View Quote

this
Not bad
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a cheap complete .300 Blk upper at a gun show for only $275
[url=http://[/url]
I dropped it on an old Plum Crazy lower I had laying around, I think I paid $80 for it.
" target="_blank">http://
I had an old slug gun shotgun scope that I paid $60 for.
" target="_blank">http://
The flat top rail was not long enough to get the proper eye releaf out of the shotgun scope so I had to go out & buy a riser to mount the scope rings out far enough. $10
Total out of pocket so far is $425.
It is an accurate shooter out to a little past 100 yds.
Honestly I did only pay $275 for my upper here is the cash receipt.
[url=http://[/url]

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry.

View Quote
Easy fix.

Hang a red bandana off of the stock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Easy fix.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry.
Easy fix.    

I have a green one, will that work?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Paintballer: I'm too old for this stuff boys, haven't even finished my first build and am wanting to start another, any way, what hand guard is that? Patrick
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Paintballer: I'm too old for this stuff boys, haven't even finished my first build and am wanting to start another, any way, what hand guard is that? Patrick
View Quote

I know it's not the same one, but it's similar:

Hogue makes a free float tube for ~$80 in rifle and carbine length. Paintballer's hand guard seems to be full aluminum, and Hogue's is overmolded with rubber.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Subbing for the hood rat shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought it at a gun show one of those cash on the spot type of things.
I don't know who made the handguard, as cheap as it is I wouldn't be surprised if it was UTG junk.
It shoots that is all I was wanting, it is a back-up deer hunting gun/truck gun if the high power law goes through here in IN.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Bumped for edit, added photos to OP - bullet button ranger plate stuff.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Update:

Fired it for the first time this weekend, nothing exploded that wasn't supposed to explode. Had ejection problems after the first 50 rounds. Needs some tuning, obviously.

Honestly, I'm just glad it didn't blow up in my face. I completely assembled the upper myself because I was too cheap to buy complete or take to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna suggest that if it didn't start with a free A2 grip from the pay it forward thread it's not CAG. Bespoke furniture? 3Gun charging handle?

Start over and do it again right.

Let me know and I will send you the grip free. So will about 100 other guys. Better yet, post your address and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm gonna suggest that if it didn't start with a free A2 grip from the pay it forward thread it's not CAG. Bespoke furniture? 3Gun charging handle?

Start over and do it again right.

Let me know and I will send you the grip free. So will about 100 other guys. Better yet, post your address and see what happens.
View Quote

Lol I have 3 of them from other people's LPKs that upgraded to different grips. Ares Armor just had a sale for ergo grips half off...
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad to see that it worked!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/2675/1000x62733333333333_10dhrpjpg.jpg

What are those buttons on your Ranger Plates? I have several dozen in black and Green, never saw this before.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! I'll have to bring it out next time we drive back.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/2675/1000x62733333333333_10dhrpjpg.jpg

What are those buttons on your Ranger Plates? I have several dozen in black and Green, never saw this before.....

They're regular ranger plates with a peg added by Thorsden Customs. They're for actuating the bullet button because I live in a nanny state...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

you don't have to open the rifle to load the magazine knucklehead.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy there, killer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#29]

I did the same thing with a Polymer80 lower and a bunch of take-offs plus an ATI barrel assembly that a guy I know bubba'd pretty good. Got maybe $350 in the whole rifle. NOTE: 40-round PMAG added for additional freedom afforded by the great state of Texas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/maxfubar54/B83C58CD-776A-414C-B66C-DAA0182D49DA_zpsc6of9mqi.jpg

I did the same thing with a Polymer80 lower and a bunch of take-offs plus an ATI barrel assembly that a guy I know bubba'd pretty good. Got maybe $350 in the whole rifle. NOTE: 40-round PMAG added for additional freedom afforded by the great state of Texas.
View Quote

Nice! Is that a 16" or a 18" barrel? Looks a little long...
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/maxfubar54/B83C58CD-776A-414C-B66C-DAA0182D49DA_zpsc6of9mqi.jpg

16", the muzzle brake is pretty gnarly.  $16 Amazon special that made the muzzle brake shootout from The Truth About Guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
The $414.00 carbine.
PTAC $369.00 carbine kit (free shipping!)
Anderson $45 OTD lower. (LGS)

Rear sight? Ain't got no time fo dat in the Ghetto.

Yeah, I know there's no bolt catch in that pic. It's in there now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top