Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2010 12:18:12 PM EDT
So I've got about 3 builds going right now, and one of them I'd like to give that Very well worn look. You know, where the park is worn thin exposing the aluminum on the receivers, barrel, carry handle, etc etc.

anybody got any tips or tricks....or better yet pics?

I'm thinking something like a scotch brite pad. But I'm probably way off.

Thanks all!

Ruckus
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw it down the driveway.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Use it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Use 00 stainless steel wool.  Fluff up some carpet and press the side of the rifle in  - note what leaves an identifiable impression since most of the finish wear will be from carry.   Focus on those.  Pay attention to the high spots, particularly the sight windage knob and top of the carry handle channel, front sight ears, the base and leading edge of the flash suppressor, and magwell.  Don't forget the FSB pins.

ETA: don't forget the plastic.  Try to polish the high spots with a flame, solvent, steel wool, or sandpaper.  Not sure what will work.

A few good scratches in the flats of the stock are also needed. Use 100 grit sandpaper - keep the long strokes on the long axis of the rifle (pulling from a pile), and the short strokes perpendicular and jagged (contact with an object).  Paint a rack number on it with a stencil, and then scratch that up to top it off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use it.

A gun that's earned it's look is awesome.

A gun that's been thrown down the driveway or hit up with scotch-brite or brillo is a sure sign that the owner is an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the distressed lower on nodakspud.com for some ideas.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel wool, thanks tobycreek! High spots, Check.
Rack number. I've definitely considered that one too.

And before anyone points it out. Yes, I am building a poser rifle!

Anyone else?

Thanks

Ruckus
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
use it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Tie a rope to it and drag it down a gravel road behind your truck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
edit.

nvm, im just going to take a deep breath and not say what i really want to.

good luck in your quest to make your gun look distressed
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid fo sho.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use it.

A gun that's been thrown down the driveway or hit up with scotch-brite or brillo is a sure sign that the owner is an idiot.

I was thinking of the word poser (unless it is a retro build for a static display).
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Use it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Allrighty then, I can see where this is going.

Apparently the majority of you don't really care for the idea of my (already admitted) "poser" style worn look. But you're entitled to your opinions as well, and since I'm not getting cash payments from anyone other than myself for these builds, then I guess I'm the one that calls the shots!

Basically what I'm going for is to emulate a respectably well worn modern service rifle. It of course will be a shooter in probably middy config. Just your basic no nonsense rifle. No lights, no lasers, no glass (irons only) no bipod, just a simple, well worn looking rifle plain and simple.

As for "Using it" Yeah of course I will. But I've got AR's over 10 years old that have seen their share of rounds, and handling. But the park is only barely smoothed at this point. I just don't have the time, and manpower, that the .mil does to wear down the park coating.
So that led me to asking about doing it artificially.

Thanks!

Ruck
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Apparently the majority of you don't really care for the idea of my (already admitted) "poser" style worn look. But you're entitled to your opinions as well, and since I'm not getting cash payments from anyone other than myself for these builds, then I guess I'm the one that calls the shots!

Basically what I'm going for is to emulate a respectably well worn modern service rifle. It of course will be a shooter in probably middy config. Just your basic no nonsense rifle. No lights, no lasers, no glass (irons only) no bipod, just a simple, well worn looking rifle plain and simple.

As for "Using it" Yeah of course I will. But I've got AR's over 10 years old that have seen their share of rounds, and handling. But the park is only barely smoothed at this point. I just don't have the time, and manpower, that the .mil does to wear down the park coating.

Thanks!

Ruck

Fuck what other people say, it's your rifle do what you want with it. I say the same for people who want to put all kinds of accessories on their guns, lights, lasers, or what ever. Same goes for guys who can't afford all the so called Tier 1 parts and use the cheap stuff. It's your your gun do what you want with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Ruck

The issue is mostly that stuff like this should be in the appropriate forum...for instance...in the retro forum or refinishing forum this probably would have been answered without all the "feedback"...

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Look it's your rifle so do what you want to it. The more appropriate thing to do would be to buy a very used upper. I still don't understand the need to try to impress someone, Either use the piss out of your rifle and earn that look, or don't. Trying to create a fake look is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen some guns in the retro forum that have been made to look used, try looking there.  Not something I would be into on a modern type AR, but I think it looks nice on a retro build.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Wear from use...or wear from abuse?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
You need to head on over to the retro forum and inquire.  You're not far enough away from GD yet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use it.

This whole thread, reminds me of a guy that wanted for his newly earn black belt to look all worn out... just like belt of his master instructor... he placed the belt on a washing machine and it end up looking purple

I guess it's not that easy to replicated decades of sweat and hard training...
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#21]
In the old days a story was told on teh interwebs, of a man who came forth from the shadows or arfcom, he was, some say, a wise man who was ahead of his time, and was also trying to get his weapon to look used, w/o actually using it, so this wise man chose to drag his weapon down the street to bring out the appropriate look. He was outcast from the tribe, or so the story is told, but some say that on the right date in the future, he will return and lead us all to Wornweapontopia and free our tools from their evil newness!!!

I hope I have that right LOL, i just heard about the guy on other forums years ago LOL
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone have a link to that thread (throwing the AR down the driveway)? I've always wanted to read it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have access to a bumpy road and a pickup w/ an unlined bed, that should do the trick.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#24]
A pair of brown jersey gloves and a can of valve lapping compound should do the trick .
I've never tried it on a gun , but I know it works well for removing surface rust on steel tools
and chromed parts .
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#25]
the most authentic AR distressed look happens when i get my credit card bill.
go on over to retro and ask,(people over there build old rifles, and old rifles look old). oddly enough, a nib retro is drooled over.
Nodak will even do one for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Is this like when you buy faded jeans?

Out,
rfenergy
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Using it would be good, but "use" is usually limited to a shooting range.  Put a sling on it, find some public land, and take it for an all-day walk through some thick underbrush (wear something brightly colored so some idiot doesn't mistake you for dinner).  Shoot the rifle enough to get the barrel good and hot, and get it dirty, wet - hell get some blood on it - any and all manner of things that would constitute normal use in a combat patrol situation, but not *abuse*.  Repeat until the appearance of the rifle is seasoned to your taste.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]
As your title says... I think you are getting "schooled"

I saw on HGTV where an interior designer used chains and hammers to make wood look "distressed" and "rustic".
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]
you should ask the question over in the retro forum, some of the guys over there have been playing around with different techniques

this one I believe belongs to StevesZZ5
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the most authentic AR distressed look happens when i get my credit card bill.
go on over to retro and ask,(people over there build old rifles, and old rifles look old). oddly enough, a nib retro is drooled over.
Nodak will even do one for you.

mine too...
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Use it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I find it interesting that so many people here are opposed to a "poser" rifle, when in a certain frame of mind, a lot of the rifles on this forum are "posers".
Many, many of these rifles are configured a certain way to emulate combat style rifles but will never get farther off the pavement than the local range. So, before you start yelling "poser, and fake and wrong" consider the reason you spent the bucks you spent for the accouterments on your own rifle.
Now that I'm through pontificating, Ruckus, keep in mind that the look you want comes from abrasion. 800-1,000 grit wetordry, or the green Scotchbrite pads will give you the look you want. Use oil as a lube on your sandpaper/ Scotchbrite, it helps give you a smoother scratchfree surface, and do some, wipe it down, and do some more. Rub it like you were wiping off fingerprints. You'll get there.
It's your rifle, if you want to paint it titty pink it's your business. Mike
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Tell me if I am wrong butt would using steel wool cause the lower and upper to rust since the steel would be mixing with the aluminum.  I would think that it looking used doesn't mean that you would want it it a rusted flakes in it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that so many people here are opposed to a "poser" rifle, when in a certain frame of mind, a lot of the rifles on this forum are "posers".

Blindman, I couldn't agree more A large majority of pic threads around here will prove that point. But I'm not going to bash anyone for building a Dewalt yellow rifle, or a Purple carbine with unicorns and bunnies on it. It's the builders choice, and cash! Do what ya want, I don't care.

CrackedCornish, Blindman, and all the others Not in the peanut gallery. Thanks for the help!

Ruckus
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to manage a music store called "the guitar factory", and I can remember when Fender came out with their "road Worn" series of Strats and Tele's, I thought it was the dumbest thing ever that someone would pay 1000+ dollars for a beat to hell guitar. But we sold a shit load of them!!!  Its just "cool".

In about 10 years my AR-15 will probably look as cool as my Les Paul does. But it took 10 years and 500+ gigs to get that way.

BTW, I like the first idea of dragging it from the truck
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you should ask the question over in the retro forum, some of the guys over there have been playing around with different techniques

this one I believe belongs to StevesZZ5
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/c339d568.jpg

I love that rifle soooo much.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's my distressed look after reading this tread...
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Go hiking with it in hog country. Get caught up in trees, snag it on brush, do like I did and fuck up a low water crossing on an ATV, and all around shoot the be-jesus out of it. Just generally give it the life that battle rifles such as ours were built for.  

But hey man, this is America and it's your rifle. Do whatever you want.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Think of how the rifle is often handled.  Think of the way it rubs against web gear when slung.  Coarse abrasives will leave obvious scratches vs. a polishing of the finish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Steel wool, thanks tobycreek! High spots, Check.
Rack number. I've definitely considered that one too.

And before anyone points it out. Yes, I am building a poser rifle!

Anyone else?

Thanks

Ruckus

Be sure it's STAINLESS steel wool.  As mentioned by a previous poster, plain ol steel wool could embed in the surface and rust later on.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#42]
+1 on Blindmans post. If your looking for some looks to go with I would look Here On getting the finish, all I can really say is that for AK's I have used worn out sanding sponges.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's my distressed look after reading this tread...
'

Thanks for letting everybody know.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top