Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2005 2:01:12 PM EDT
I finally bought an A1 upper from CDNN investments and I was just wanting to show anybody that was doubtful as me that it was a quality product.  The upper is brand new, unfired and completely covered in cosmoline goop.  It is marked with a C H under the sight, C at the gas tube entrance to the reciever, C on the FSB, C MP Chrome Bore on the barrel, and all parts look to be authentic Colt.  The color is a very medium gray and I am very happy with the outcome.  When I first saw it I thought about being 7 years old and going to work with my father and seing the exact same thing in the arms room.  I also ordered one of their vertical grips with rail for an A2 for $14.99 and it is actually a solid grip with a parkerized aluminum rail.  CDNN is great in my book.  Here is a picture and now I am waiting on ColtDealer653 to get those retro A1 lowers rolling out.

Link Posted: 2/24/2005 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice,how much was it tottal? also is  it small hole?

TG
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Small hole and brand new.  Zero rounds fired for $399.  I had a much harder time finding a new A1 upper than I did a slickside.  I was worried it would have a deflector hump.  On a side note Sarco, yes Sarco, has brand new XM15 slick side complete kits for $425 or $460 for 100% Colt.  I wanted the A1 style as a tribute to my father though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like one, it looks like  the ones we used during my time in the army.

Is this upper 1/7  or 1/12??

TG
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
1/12 just like the old ones because it is one of the old ones.  It is new old stock that was reserved as a replacement that never got used because of the transition to the A2 in the early 80's.  It has been sitting so long the cosmoline has dried to a sticky gel even while sealed in the bag and has to be cleaned off for a while.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Was your buttplate cracked. Mine has a small crack where the screws are. I forget if its the upper or lower screw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it had hairline age cracks on the inside near the top screw.  I laid it down and injected superglue into the cracks to fill them and prevent future spreading.  It still looks good from the outside and the glue bonds with the material to form a solid peice again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
How do these match up to current lowers colorwise?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Piss poor.  You will need to contact a manufactorer and have one ordered in Colt gray ($10 extra) or refinish it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone offer just the barrels for the A1 configuration? I built one of these several years ago and have dumped thousands of rounds through it. I am wondering if I can get a correct barrel down the road, or if I should jump on one of these kits while I can.

Yes, I know it's got an A2 grip and stock, and yes I know the color is mismatched. Save your breath. It is still my favorite. I just ordered a bunch of Norrell's the other day for a different project, and got some gray-black and gloss-black additionally for this one. Once I perfect applying it, I am going to redo this'n.

Maybe I should get one of these kits anyway and just redo the whole thing correctly...
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]

I got one of those uppers a while back, cleaned it up, and then just left it there sitting until I finally get a lower for it .  

As I understand it, the civilian A1 lower is the military M16 lower, not the M16A1. The military switched to the A1 in the late sixties and the remaining M16 lowers went for civilian sales, but were called the A1.  

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want a Military style M16A1, you do not want a M16/civilian AR15 slabside lower.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
fulton armory has (or had) Colt 1/12 A1 barrels in stock
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
So does Sarco for less.  Sarco is shady but if it is new Colt it is hard to mess that up.  They are A: New and B: Colt so how can you go wrong.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top