Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
Hi,

Does anyone here own a Surefire M600 Ultra Scout light?
I want one but just wondering about its beam.
I own a few Surefire lights, and they seem to all have that yellow tint to the beams instead of that cool bright blue tint white color.

Is this the case with the M600 Scout lights as well?

My other question would be can this be also used as a non-weapon light?
In other words, I want to be able to use it as a handheld light as well.
My guess it can, because it does come with it a regular tail cap switch along with the pressure switch.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

Does anyone here own a Surefire M600 Ultra Scout light?
I want one but just wondering about its beam.
I own a few Surefire lights, and they seem to all have that yellow tint to the beams instead of that cool bright blue tint white color.

Is this the case with the M600 Scout lights as well?

My other question would be can this be also used as a non-weapon light?
In other words, I want to be able to use it as a handheld light as well.
My guess it can, because it does come with it a regular tail cap switch along with the pressure switch.

Thanks
View Quote

I have a beam comparison in this video so you can see the tint.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hehe

Yep...I saw that video. Its cool. Thanks.

But sometimes the beam shots in the videos can be deceiving in color.

So in real life, whoever has one of these lights, does the beam have that yellow tint to it?

I don't know why Surefire lights have this yellow tint on the beams....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a m600 ultra, and its a super white light. I wouldn't say its great for a non weapon light, as it has a built in mount.

-Tom
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
So I have an image of two beam shots from an external source.
So your saying that the M600u has a white beam similar to the one to the right from the image below?
http://s252.photobucket.com/user/jwritchie76/media/Lights/001-14.jpg.html

I don't mind the mount being in the way...I just like the form factor as opposed to the new Surefire handhelds they have nowadays.
If it could indeed be used as a handheld light, then I would.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't want blue tint in your light.  White and slight yellow tinted (of equal lux) light illuminates further, and gives a more accurate visible identification of the target.  They allow you to see truer colors and features.  Our SWAT medic carries an incandescent light for doing injections and IVs in low light because the various tints of LED lights make it difficult to find veins.

The light output is pretty similar to the P2X Fury and X300 Ultra coloring.  The M600 just has a slightly more focused beam than the X300U for long gun use.

Yes you could use an M600U as a pocket light, as the mounting bracket can be unscrewed and detached.  I would recommend that you just go buy a dedicated handheld, but do whatever you want.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I have owned multiple M600U lights and x300u lights and most do have a yellow or yellow-green hue. My m300c has the most of it. Like it or not though, it boosts contrast very well at the edge of the beam. Far more than CRI numbers would have you believe. These are for hunting and killing. Not white wall shining. If I want to stare at white walls I pop in a 4500k nichia with a Don McLeish reflector for the 6p.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't want blue tint in your light.  White and slight yellow tinted (of equal lux) light illuminates further, and gives a more accurate visible identification of the target.  They allow you to see truer colors and features.  Our SWAT medic carries an incandescent light for doing injections and IVs in low light because the various tints of LED lights make it difficult to find veins.

The light output is pretty similar to the P2X Fury and X300 Ultra coloring.  The M600 just has a slightly more focused beam than the X300U for long gun use.

Yes you could use an M600U as a pocket light, as the mounting bracket can be unscrewed and detached.  I would recommend that you just go buy a dedicated handheld, but do whatever you want.

View Quote

I use a 4sevens  pen light with a very high CRI and about a 3500k  temp beam. Something for your medic to consider. More battery life and more shockproof than incan. 3 levels. From normal pen light to 150 lumens.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I have an image of two beam shots from an external source.
So your saying that the M600u has a white beam similar to the one to the right from the image below?
http://s252.photobucket.com/user/jwritchie76/media/Lights/001-14.jpg.html

I don't mind the mount being in the way...I just like the form factor as opposed to the new Surefire handhelds they have nowadays.
If it could indeed be used as a handheld light, then I would.
View Quote

Most I have are smack between the two beams you posted. My m300c leans toward the one on the left a bit and one of my M600U did too while the other a bit to the beam on the right. None are the cool blue of the m600c  or m300a  of yesteryear.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The beam which have that  blue hue I like it. To me its more appealing and more brighter.
But yes, I intend to get myself the M600u in the close future despite the beam being yellowish.

But it is on backorder....Sadly.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite hand-held is an X300 or X300U.

It fits my hand perfect and the switch is easier to use than a dedicated handheld (to me).  

I have P2X Fury Tacticals on my carbines and X300s in my hand.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top