Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2014 2:02:25 AM EDT
Hello! I'm hoping you folks can point me in the direction of a few good recommendations for an integrated light for a home-defense and SHTF Tavor.

I have the Manticore Arms forend on its way to me, to replace the stock Tavor forend. It offers an integrated light mount (a clamping ring that holds a 1" diameter flashlight). I estimate that I can take about a 6.5 - 7" maximum flashlight length from lens to switch in this mount.

You'll notice a small rubber switch on the side - that's an optional part of the foreend that actuates the pressure tape switch that runs to the light. A button for the switch, if you will.

I know very little about the brands and offerings that are out there, as well as the true value of lumens in a home defense situation. What I need is an utterly reliable performer that integrates into this system perfectly. Price is no object.

The only requirements I can really call myself smart enough to understand are that it has to be 1" in diameter (in the body only - the bezel can be a bit wider, as it sticks out in front), and I'd prefer a light that retain a good performance over the bulk of its battery life, rather than one that falls off the lumens cliff right out the gate. It needs to be well-built, and I need to have the confidence in it to take it to hell and back without failure. Lastly, I need to be able to use a tape switch with it, so that I can integrate it with the pressure switch that comes with the foreend.

Many thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, thanks Elzetta!

Do you believe the Charlie body would be too long for this application?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, thanks Elzetta!

View Quote

So long as you have the standard A2 on there then I highly doubt it.  It'll be fine and you won't get any carbon build up like you may with an open bottom muzzle device...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So long as you have the standard A2 on there then I highly doubt it.  It'll be fine and you won't get any carbon build up like you may with an open bottom muzzle device...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice, thanks Elzetta!

+1 but even with a muzzle brake I would not be worried.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! Just running the standard A2 at the moment. Though, I'm honestly thinking that the light can extend "into" the gun, rather than out of it. There seems to be plenty of internal room, even past the rear edge of the forend.

Elzetta - I ordered both the B335 and C335 from your site, with the intentions of checking out the dimensions on both. If the C335 turns out to be too long, I'll go ahead and send it back to you.

Of course, I won't shoot the gun with the light installed, if my intention is to send it back... this is just to check fitment.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running a Solarforce host with Eagle Tac XML led dropin, 600+ lumens of blinding white light.  For less than $60 it's as reliable as an overpriced Surefire and brighter.  

Using the Gearhead Works forend, waiting for it to come back from being cerakoted Magpul foliage green.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
they have a light kit now
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey all, just wanted to circle back on this.

I went ahead and ordered Elzetta's Charle AND Bravo lights, because I wasn't quite sure whether the Charlie would fit due to its greater length. Turns out it couldn't BE much cleaner. Check it out.

Thanks a million, Elzetta!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an elzetta in mine as well, using a midwest industries rail. Chewed up the elzetta tape switch passing it through the keymod holes.

Since I will be using this in combo with night vision, I'm switching to a V2 Vampire and running a tape switch out. My hope is that the connector slides through the keymod slots so I don't have to tear up another switch, though I believe the surefire pad is smaller, so it might be a non issue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I smudged mine up a bit mostly because I wanted the cable routed through the lower hole. It slid through the top holes without issue.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I smudged mine up a bit mostly because I wanted the cable routed through the lower hole. It slid through the top holes without issue.
View Quote

Can you please give us some feedback on the tape switch I've been looking at the elzettas and can't find a review on the tape switch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can you please give us some feedback on the tape switch I've been looking at the elzettas and can't find a review on the tape switch.
View Quote

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I haven't played with many other tape switches. However, I can give you my impressions of Elzetta's.

Like the light itself, it's very solidly-built, with a good strong cable from the switch to the cap. The cap itself is build of the same strength and style as the normal tailcap. The pressure switch is rather thick and meaty, which makes it easy to find with your hand quickly - the only downside to this was trying to stuff it through the holes in the aluminum forend. The pressure needed to activate the switch is fairly substantial, but takes an even amount of pressure through the length of the switch - there's no perceptible "buttons" under the tape itself, it just feels like one even strip when pressed. As a small detail, both ends of the switch itself seem to have small "niches" that the included(!) zip ties slide around perfectly. Not sure if this was intended or not, but it makes installation that much easier.

Overall, I'm very satisfied. No real complaints, now that it's installed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I haven't played with many other tape switches. However, I can give you my impressions of Elzetta's.

Like the light itself, it's very solidly-built, with a good strong cable from the switch to the cap. The cap itself is build of the same strength and style as the normal tailcap. The pressure switch is rather thick and meaty, which makes it easy to find with your hand quickly - the only downside to this was trying to stuff it through the holes in the aluminum forend. The pressure needed to activate the switch is fairly substantial, but takes an even amount of pressure through the length of the switch - there's no perceptible "buttons" under the tape itself, it just feels like one even strip when pressed. As a small detail, both ends of the switch itself seem to have small "niches" that the included(!) zip ties slide around perfectly. Not sure if this was intended or not, but it makes installation that much easier.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot for that I think I'll order a couple of these,  two more questions not really a deal killer tho does the tape switch also have momentary or is just click on and off? and is it as silent as the tailcap or does it click.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#17]
No click whatsoever, completely silent. Momentary on-off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you this is the response I was looking for I need one of these lights Im hoping if they work out I can start putting these on all my AR,s
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top