Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2014 10:44:26 PM EDT
I decided to go with a harris over an atlas mainly due to price

I've heard great things about harris bipods - this will be used on carbines (for sighting in/bench rest shooting) and rifles both semi and bolt action.

I want to go with the 6"-9" model with a larue mount but cannot decide on the HBR, HBRS, HBRM, or HBRMS.

anyone have experience/recommendations for me?

thx
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I decided to go with a harris over an atlas mainly due to price

I've heard great things about harris bipods - this will be used on carbines (for sighting in/bench rest shooting) and rifles both semi and bolt action.

I want to go with the 6"-9" model with a larue mount but cannot decide on the HBR, HBRS, HBRM, or HBRMS.

anyone have experience/recommendations for me?

thx
View Quote

I personally prefer the HBRS, I know a lot of people like notches but I don't and that's something you have to find out for yourself. A swivel is a good idea to have as well.
Either one will serve you well though. So basically it ends up being if you want notches or not. I personally like for the bipod legs to shoot back up into the bipod. It seems more hand acrobatics are required trying to put the notched bipod legs back into the bipod, Rather then pull out the bipod leg where I need it and tighten the screw. This is something you will need to find out for yourself though. I have small hands so maybe that's why it seems more difficult for me to use the notched legs.

Edit: No matter which one you get make sure you get the locking nut for the swivel. It's really the only downfall for the Harris. I like the T-Nuts one because it's cheaper. The micro doesn't stick out as much as the long one and still gives you more than enough leverage to fully tighten the bipod swivel.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
HBRM. I dont need swivel and the leg notches are really useful for minute changes in height. Best bipod I have owned. I use it on an AR15 SPR, by the way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
6" HBRMS, though I prefer the Atlas these days. You can't go wrong with Harris.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I am going to go with the HBRMS with the larue LT706.  But for $50 more I can get the atlas....
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
[nudge]

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
BRM-S. I use it on my SPR style rifles and bolt rifles, from the prone and from the bench. I can't imagine having a bipod without notches.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BRM-S. I use it on my SPR style rifles and bolt rifles, from the prone and from the bench. I can't imagine having a bipod without notches.
View Quote

The legs on an HBRS can be locked down at any length, instead of only where the notches are.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The legs on an HBRS can be locked down at any length, instead of only where the notches are.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  When using the short 6-9" I really like being able to make the fine lateral adjudtments the HBRS permits.  For longer legged models for field use, I like the notches for quicker setup.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had the original style with the thumbscrew and infinite adjustability and the later leg notch and swivel type.  They're both good.  

-the thumbscrew models will loosen when you least want them too and they leg will collapse pissing you off requiring you to reset up.  
-the leg notches are not able to be perfectly leveled on uneven ground so don't get them without the swivel unless you're only shooting off a bench or paved pad.

I have both, like both, but recognize the capabilities and disadvantages of each.   FWIW I have never owned another brand of bipod unless you count German STG Fal type which I gave away.  

Even when i go deer hunting I will have one in my backpack in case I need one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had the original style with the thumbscrew and infinite adjustability and the later leg notch and swivel type.  They're both good.  

-the thumbscrew models will loosen when you least want them too and they leg will collapse pissing you off requiring you to reset up.  
-the leg notches are not able to be perfectly leveled on uneven ground so don't get them without the swivel unless you're only shooting off a bench or paved pad.

I have both, like both, but recognize the capabilities and disadvantages of each.   FWIW I have never owned another brand of bipod unless you count German STG Fal type which I gave away.  

Even when i go deer hunting I will have one in my backpack in case I need one.
View Quote

Yup what he said here is a good comparison. I haven't had an issue with tightening down on the legs, Generally I think that's a user error thing but YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the HBRM on a R700. I wish I would've gone with the swivel.

I bought a HBLMS (9-13", leg notches, swivel mount) for a new AR build and I'm liking it so far. I wish the swivel locking knob was bigger. It looks like I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket knob or lever.

I tried to adjust a friend's HBL while prone and rifle shouldered. One handed took a little more effort because of the locking screw and having to work against the spring retracting legs.

I also have an ATLAS BT-10-LW17 (w/ ADM mount). I like it because it is has multiple axis of movement. I haven't needed to use the legs locked in the 45 degree position, so no comment there. Leg extension and retraction is simple. The pivot locking system on the base doesn't have a rock solid lock up as I expected.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]

What kind of bipod is this? I like the fact it doesn't have external springs
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

atlas bipod

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top