BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/21/2014 1:52:46 PM EDT
First off, I just had hand surgery for a damaged tendon so pics/range report will have to wait (sorry). As it is I'm having to type this one-handed so apologies for any brevity on my part.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation w/Mako or Meprolight except as a retail customer.
Pics/basic info here: http://www.idfholsters.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1077210

Appearance: At first glance this looks similar to an Eotech, what with the blockish design & HUD.

Observations:
Optic feels solid in the hand and weighs 11.4oz w/the included alkaline AA battery installed. FOV through the optic has the same wide-open feeling as the Eotech's HUD. If there's any lens tint, I can't see it.
Battery compartment is nicely threaded and has a rubber gasket to keep out moisture. A battery orientation graphic is on the side of the compartment and the cap is tethered to the body of the optic.
Switch has both audible and tactile feedback and I like how few settings there are (off, high, medium, low & NV, do we really need 20 different brightness settings on a combat optic?). Location is easy to access/use w/the support hand. On high in the bright Idaho sun, I could get dot to wash out only when aiming at the white trim of my house 6' away w/direct sunlight coming over my shoulder. I'll post about lowlight use w/a taclight when physically able.
Due to my astigmatism the dot is somewhat distorted but still sharper than other reticles I have used, still very usable for me (YMMV).
The QD mount appears non-obtrusive and easy to adjust, better than the Meprolight M21's QD mount, IMHO. It provides an appx 1/3 cowitness so if you want absolute I'm afraid you're out of luck.
There is a front-side signature, but it's not head-on. It's only visible when looking down at the optic from an angle. ie: If you're aiming at someone, they'll see no front-side signature. However, if someone is standing directly behind and far enough above your target, it's possible they could detect the dot. It's also theoretically possible to get reflection off the angled front of the prism but that takes an ideal lighting situation (in other words, I'm not worried about front-side signature or reflections).
Unlike the Eotech, the HUD of the Meprolight RDS is a solid prism so whether the hood is aluminum (as on the first 400 RDS') or polymer should have little effect on the ruggedness of the optic.
W/E adjustments are .5moa (better then the latest M21's 1moa and much better then the original M21's 1.7moa) w/definite clicks and are easily adjusted w/a small coin like a nickel.
I'm currently testing the motion sensor, more on that later.

Bottom line: Until I can get in some range time (hopefully in several days), I have to say I'm impressed w/the features offered for the price. The only possible downside I can think of at this time is if you just can't live w/o an absolute cowitness.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Thanks for the info. Will wait for the motion portion of the review before I decide.

I am in need of a optic for my AR pistol and my choice is either this or a Aimpoint PRO.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag.
Thanks for the info. Will wait for the motion portion of the review before I decide.
I am in need of a optic for my AR pistol and my choice is either this or a Aimpoint PRO.
Thanks!!
View Quote

After several tests it appears the auto-shutoff is set for 30 minutes (accurate enough that I even watched it turn off once). If I'm *very* slow & careful I can tilt the unit back and forth w/o reactivating the dot. However, even the slightest tap on the optic will reactivate the dot.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If u have that much time to do that,  then how about some pics?

Mine should be here in 1-2 days, but still, need pics to tide me over :-)
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If u have that much time to do that,  then how about some pics?
Mine should be here in 1-2 days, but still, need pics to tide me over :-)
View Quote

Sorry, my little point&shoot doesn't doesn't take very good pictures one-handed.
I hope to post a range report w/pics in a day or so, after the stiches are removed.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
So want.

I like my Eotech, but I want the Eotech FOV but one I can leave on. Once I feel these have been vetted enough, I will get one.

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool. Been very interested to hear this review. I was afraid you'd get the distortion issue. I can't use any red dot without either getting distortion, or if the dot is small enough, then I see a phantom dot next to it. So, I'm gonna stick with the Mepro 21. But, I hope you like it after some actual use.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Tomac. Hoping to receive mine in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Tomac.
I'm mainly on the fence due to the size/weight.  I like to occasionally put a 3X behind my red dots, and I'm not sure if I'll have much room on the upper.  I can do it with an EXPS, but these are a bit longer and won't overhang the handguard as much.  I'm hoping the polymer drops it another 2 ounces, and that the intro price can still be found.   The only thing I wish it had was an auto-adjust setting (I like it on the RMR, but wish aimpoint or eotech would offer it).  

So is the brightest setting what most will use for normal, bright daylight and with a weapons light (mine are all 500-600 lumens) or will it look plenty bright one click down from that?

Here's to a speedy recovery.  Get well soon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You owe me new stitches, eviljoe!
Update: Got them mounted & cowitnessed w/my BUIS (which should make sighting-in easier when I can finally hit the range), QD mounts adjusted easily and clamped-down solidly, no worries there. Did a lowlight test in my darkened garage using the 500 lumen Inforce WMLx on my rifles. I was very surprised that the dot was still visible at the low setting even when aiming at a white wall 6' away. The dot was very visible on the medium setting, I believe that will be my default setting in the future. This optic is looking better and better.
Tomac

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
for true co witness looks like you need a CASV-S it sits higher then an eotech optics
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Tomac, good stuff. I ordered mine yesterday after doing much research. It's funny you kept popping up in various threads talking about this new Mepro. With things you said and other reviews, I was convinced to make my order. I am glad to hear it's looking good thus far.
I gotta say you remind me of my pops with the hand surgery/stitches. He's had 13 surgeries - various sports injuries and ATV crashes. Two summers ago he decided to shoot my pistol grip Mossberg 500 12ga....that ended up being a trip to the ER! He thought he had displaced the pins that were in his left thumb. It was very swollen and looked painful. Luckily, there was no permanent damage. For some reason I cannot get him to go shooting with me anymore .
- J
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tomac, good stuff. I ordered mine yesterday after doing much research. It's funny you kept popping up in various threads talking about this new Mepro. With things you said and other reviews, I was convinced to make my order. I am glad to hear it's looking good thus far.
I gotta say you remind me of my pops with the hand surgery/stitches. He's had 13 surgeries - various sports injuries and ATV crashes. Two summers ago he decided to shoot my pistol grip Mossberg 500 12ga....that ended up being a trip to the ER! He thought he had displaced the pins that were in his left thumb. It was very swollen and looked painful. Luckily, there was no permanent damage. For some reason I cannot get him to go shooting with me anymore .
- J
View Quote

Glad I could be of help!
In my case it was simple clumsiness on my part while changing a broken mower blade that caused the socket wrench to slip and injure a tendon. Meds didn't help so surgery was my only alternative.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm eager to get feedback how it does on the range. I'm not going to get to play with mine (RDS that is) until mid-October. This whole j-o-b stuff is a pain! As soon as EBT cards are approved for gun/ammo purchases, I'm quitting my job and signing up!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm eager to get feedback how it does on the range. I'm not going to get to play with mine (RDS that is) until mid-October. This whole j-o-b stuff is a pain! As soon as EBT cards are approved for gun/ammo purchases, I'm quitting my job and signing up!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came today, agree with Tomac's original post.  I have mibe sitting on low in the closet.  Plan to check the auto on over the next few days, then hopefully range on Saturday.  I too like the Eotech FOV, maybe this will replacethe T1 on my HD rifle?  Or maybe not... It is rather heavy and still pretty new.  Hope to take it to a class in November and wring it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mine came today, agree with Tomac's original post.  I have mibe sitting on low in the closet.  Plan to check the auto on over the next few days, then hopefully range on Saturday.  I too like the Eotech FOV, maybe this will replacethe T1 on my HD rifle?  Or maybe not... It is rather heavy and still pretty new.  Hope to take it to a class in November and wring it out.
View Quote

Range report!
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Plan on it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Got mine today also.

FOV is almost the same as the Eotech.  Maybe even a touch wider.

I really like the simplicity of the brightness settings also.  H-M-L and night is adequate and the knob is very tactile.  Kinda' like a PVS14.

The only thing keeping this from KILLING Aimpoints and Eothechs is the weight.  If the battery claims hold up that is.  It's definately going to hurt Eotech business.  Probably the same for Aimpoint guys that were only buying for the battery life!

I'm likin' it so far!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine came in today as we'll! Weight feels similar to the aim point pro sitting next to me, but idk how close they are. Love the fov, love the auto on and off feature, glass is nice and clear with no tint, brightness options are just right as well. Range report to come sometime next week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Would love to know the weight difference between the two hoods.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Update: With many promises from the wife to kill me if I re-injured my hand, I sighted-in my RDS' today.
Now, over the years I've sighted-in many dozens of different optics, some were fast/easy and some were more problematic.
The Mepro RDS was the fastest/easiest sight-in I've ever experienced. Even w/a bum hand it took me only 15 minutes to sight-in 3 rifles (and that includes walking back and forth to move targets and patch holes).
After initially adjusting the RDS' dot to match my BUIS, 1st shot put me on paper at 25yds, 2nd shot confirmed initial adjustment, then 10rds of 5.56 at 50yds followed by final adjustment. .5moa clicks were very precise & accurate for me, a huge difference from my earlier 1moa Mepro M21's. Color me happy!
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent! I also pre-ordered one of these for my Tavor, and I'm happy to hear it's looking good. I suppose I'm surprised at how long it is - I doubt you're going to be able to use a magnifier without an extended top rail on the AR.

If these things have a street price at $350-$375, they're going to eat a huge chunk of Eotech's low-end business. Only reason to buy an Eotech at that point would be for magnifier use, or when absolute co-witness is a necessity.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I mounted my Mepro RDS to my Tavor today and it looks like it was made for it...which it probably was, I set it just ahead of the rear iron and that seems pretty good you can easily see the irons through the bottom third of the large view. The glass is clear and the dot focuses at infinity better than some much more expensive scopes. The on/off level dial is really nice and easy to use something many much more expensive scopes could benefit from. I'll shoot it Thursday see if it sights in as easy for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Excellent! I also pre-ordered one of these for my Tavor, and I'm happy to hear it's looking good. I suppose I'm surprised at how long it is - I doubt you're going to be able to use a magnifier without an extended top rail on the AR.

If these things have a street price at $350-$375, they're going to eat a huge chunk of Eotech's low-end business. Only reason to buy an Eotech at that point would be for magnifier use, or when absolute co-witness is a necessity.
View Quote

I'm not positive how many rail slots a magnifier mount takes up, but I might be able to fit one. I could take up my buis and definitely fit a mag. I like my rds much better than eotechs
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I mounted my Mepro RDS to my Tavor today and it looks like it was made for it...which it probably was, I set it just ahead of the rear iron and that seems pretty good you can easily see the irons through the bottom third of the large view. The glass is clear and the dot focuses at infinity better than some much more expensive scopes. The on/off level dial is really nice and easy to use something many much more expensive scopes could benefit from. I'll shoot it Thursday see if it sights in as easy for me.
View Quote

Pics?
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pics?
Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?
Tomac

Soon...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Received mine Monday and zeroed it yesterday at 25 yards for a 50 yard zero. Confirmed at 50 and, with one more small adjustment, it was good. LED times out after about 30 minutes and the slightest movement of the weapon turns it back on without any delay. Mine has a slight cosmetic flaw, a gouge above the windage adjustment screw. It shows no bare metal so it happened before anodizing. It does not affect function and is not a big deal to me.

Like how clear the glass is, no blue or green tint. Adjusting the dot brightness is fast and easy, even when wearing gloves.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got mine today, LOVE it.

edited for being a dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#32]
If I were to have a warranty claim, what would I use as proof of purchase? There was no invoice or nothing. Would I use my confirmation email from 7-62 precision?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I were to have a warranty claim, what would I use as proof of purchase? There was no invoice or nothing. Would I use my confirmation email from 7-62 precision?
View Quote

Will they go by serial #.  Mines under 100
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Got mine mounted on my Tavor today. I used an Energizer lithium AA instead of the included battery. Don't want to take a chance with battery leakage.

I won't get it out to the range until the weekend, but so far I'm thinking this the perfect optic for my Tavor.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys
Does your sight have a soft springy/rattle sound to it?  When I turn mine on and shake it I can hear it.  I'm not sure if that's normal
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Can't wait to get mine tomorrow, it seems like this will officially unseat or compliment the Aimpoint PRO for affordability and capability!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#39]
So let me ask you guys who now have these sights....

Do any of you have problems with other sights, aimpoint for example where you don't see a perfect "dot"?  It kinda looks like a dot with a crescent at around 10 o'clock. I read about people having difficulties with "dots" not being dots. Some say it's their eyes.

Compared to say, a aimpoint, is there any difference in appearance of the dot in these sights?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So let me ask you guys who now have these sights....
Do any of you have problems with other sights, aimpoint for example where you don't see a perfect "dot"?  It kinda looks like a dot with a crescent at around 10 o'clock. I read about people having difficulties with "dots" not being dots. Some say it's their eyes.
Compared to say, a aimpoint, is there any difference in appearance of the dot in these sights?
View Quote

The main reason I originally went w/the Meprolight M21 is that Aimpoint/Eotech reticles were increasingly distorted due to my astigmatism yet the M21's reticle was clear/sharp for me. The Mepro RDS dot is still a little distorted to my eyes but more usable than the Aimpoints/Eotechs (YMMV).
To determine if it's your eyes or the optic, look through the optic while rotating it clockwise or counter-clockwise about its axis. If the distortion rotates the problem is in the optic, if it doesn't rotate then it's your eyes.
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#41]
ordered!  except tomac's recommendation, i've done no research on this unit.

all my research was on the MSE AQC-1 (i'm attracted to eotech HUD + auto on features), but that went out of stock by the time i sold my eotech.

basically, the MSE has more reticle options, but is priced way higher and this Tru Dot RDS has the better auto on function, but only a red dot.

mine's marked as ready for shipping, but i will not be able to get this until i get back from overseas, i just ordered it because i was afraid it'd run out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ordered!  except tomac's recommendation, i've done no research on this unit.
all my research was on the MSE AQC-1 (i'm attracted to eotech HUD + auto on features), but that went out of stock by the time i sold my eotech.
basically, the MSE has more reticle options, but is priced way higher and this Tru Dot RDS has the better auto on function, but only a red dot.
mine's marked as ready for shipping, but i will not be able to get this until i get back from overseas, i just ordered it because i was afraid it'd run out.
View Quote

Be sure to give us a range report when you get back, Enquiring minds want to know!
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I picked up mine today from the Post Office due to the signature requirement. It's great. It is big and heavy comaped to an Aimpoint T-1.  I would buy it again if I was to do it over. Big glass, easy knob a d solid.  I mounted mine on an AR15 300 Blackout pistol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I like this red dot a lot. Really a good deal for the price. Shot great, easy to dial in and love the switch for turning on and dialing brightness.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Note: Someone on another forum posted that it's possible to see reflections in the HUD. I just confirmed this in my garage (so I could control the lighting), the first reflection shows at the bottom of the HUD when the light source is appx 30 degrees in front of the optic and is at its max when directly overhead, after which it disappears completely. I don't find this objectionable but YMMV.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
This may be one of our customers. He purchased the sight so he could play with it and then return it. He just emailed me and told me he would be posting the following to forums in retaliation for our no returns policy on optics:

He says that there is a reflection that renders the sight unusable.

He says that the QR mount is unusable because a users fingers cannot fit the levers to release the mount.

He says that the QR mount cannot be tightened enough to keep the sight from being loose on any rail.

He says the sight is unusable.

He says that 7.62 Precision is an unethical company and he will be warning everyone against dealing with us.
He can say what he likes, but I have used this sight quite a bit, and our customers have universally (other than him) been happy with this optic, no one else has reported the issues he claims, and the parent sight has been tested and approved by numerous militaries, something that would not have happened if these issues were legitimate.
He thinks that if he bullies us on the forums, we will cave and allow returns on used sights. I think that this sight can stand on it's own merit, and other users will recognize his claims for what they are.

ETA: There can be reflections seen on any sight, depending on light conditions. I had to change positions ones to shoot a caribou, because I had a forward mounted magnified scope and the location of the sun caused a reflection. While I have seen reflections on a lot of optics, that was the only time I ever had a reflection that interfered in any way with the use of an optic, and it was only because the sun was setting directly behind me.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can you email me a link to the other forum.
View Quote

Email sent.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh, I just found the posting on the other forum.

This is the same complaint he gave us when demanding a refund. Funny thing is, we were surprised how quickly he emailed us with his request for a refund, and a threat that he was going to ruin our reputation on the forums.

Now I am even more surprised to see that he posted this on the other forum:

"I'm surprised at the positive reviews here. In my opinion this sight is a ****ing joke. It will not mount without rattling, the QD levers are impossible to use and poorly made, and the glass has odd reflections. "

and he posted it at 11:28 AM.

The Post Office scanned his box prior to delivery at 11:54 AM

So the guy supposedly fully tested a sight, attempted to adjust the QR mounts unsuccessfully, mounted on multiple rifles, and had reflections rendering the sight unusable, all more than 26 minutes BEFORE he received the sight?

Of course it did not work for him. It was still in a box.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh, I just found the posting on the other forum.

This is the same complaint he gave us when demanding a refund. Funny thing is, we were surprised how quickly he emailed us with his request for a refund, and a threat that he was going to ruin our reputation on the forums.

Now I am even more surprised to see that he posted this on the other forum:
"I'm surprised at the positive reviews here. In my opinion this sight is a ****ing joke. It will not mount without rattling, the QD levers are impossible to use and poorly made, and the glass has odd reflections. "
and he posted it at 11:28 AM.

The Post Office scanned his box prior to delivery at 11:54 AM

So the guy supposedly fully tested a sight, attempted to adjust the QR mounts unsuccessfully, mounted on multiple rifles, and had reflections rendering the sight unusable, all more than 26 minutes BEFORE he received the sight?

Of course it did not work for him. It was still in a box.
View Quote

I hope you'll post this info at the other forum.
Tomac
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top