Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2011 2:30:45 PM EDT
anyone have the chance to do a side by side comparison of these 2 scopes??  Ive read the review on the SS and have read some feedback on the vortex on swfa's site.  I dont think I can go wrong with either based on reviews and the reputations of both companies being what they are.   Is the SS worth the extra $300 bucks?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

anyone have the chance to do a side by side comparison of these 2 scopes?? Ive read the review on the SS and have read some feedback on the vortex on swfa's site. I dont think I can go wrong with either based on reviews and the reputations of both companies being what they are. Is the SS worth the extra $300 bucks?

I've owned the SS since they first came out and finally got to try the Vortex. For me the answer would be yes it is worth the extra $300.00. I really like the reticle design and brightness of the SS. IMHO it is the most versatile low magnification scope on the market. Durability and ruggedness of these new scopes is yet to be determined but the SS "feels" more robust. Glass is good in both and under 500 yards at four power both will do. At 700 yards I can definitely see more detail with the SS. Warranty is excellent on both. I own two Vortex scopes and four SS. Both are good but between the two you are looking at I'd go SS. I have just over 1000 round through four different rifles using this scope from 25 yards to 800 yards and it is a keeper.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the SWFA SS 1-4 hd and it is awesome. I haven't handled the viper but based on reticle pics, the SS is vastly superior. Worth $300 more, I think so but I don't think you can go wrong with a viper.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
How long does the battery last on the SWFA?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
no.....no reticle is worth $300 more and as for durability and clearity of glass  etc., they are both top notch.  You won't see any difference between the two but if you head on over to snipershide.com, you'll get some objective reviews of both.  My honest opinion is go for the viper as they both are too comparable to compare with the most notible exception being the reticle.  i personally like the reticle of the viper but the ss has a great one as well.  No way is the ss worth paying 65% more just for a different reticle.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
no.....no reticle is worth $300 more and as for durability and clearity of glass  etc., they are both top notch.  You won't see any difference between the two but if you head on over to snipershide.com, you'll get some objective reviews of both.  My honest opinion is go for the viper as they both are too comparable to compare with the most notible exception being the reticle.  i personally like the reticle of the viper but the ss has a great one as well.  No way is the ss worth paying 65% more just for a different reticle.....

I agree, I like the viper reticle better as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

no.....no reticle is worth $300 more and as for durability and clearity of glass etc., they are both top notch. You won't see any difference between the two but if you head on over to snipershide.com, you'll get some objective reviews of both. My honest opinion is go for the viper as they both are too comparable to compare with the most notible exception being the reticle. i personally like the reticle of the viper but the ss has a great one as well. No way is the ss worth paying 65% more just for a different reticle.....

I could not disagree more. You buy equipment for a functional application. The piece of equipment than best facilitates that function is clearly superior. I would choose the Vortex PST over the Trijicon TR24 because it has the better reticle design. For the same reason I choose the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD over the Vortex PST. I have timed and scored the SS against an Aimpoint at 25 to over 100 yards and the SS was better. I have shot it at 800 yards and scored very well on steel targets. I don't think I could do as well with the Vortex. I'm not slamming the Vortex, it would be my second choice ahead of a short dot or other high end scopes. But after trying both I prefer the SS 1-4 HD.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd agree with 357sig.  The SS reticle is not only different, it's better.  The SS 1-4HD's reticle takes a little from the German #4, the NF FC-2, and your typical milled crosshair and rolls them into a single  FFP design.

At 1X the SS reticle is an entirely different FOV experience than at 4X.  The consistent black circle inside the thick posts and ghosted crosshairs are amazing.  At 4X, it's fine mil crosshair is well suited for precision.  Beyond that, the turrets are also 0.1 mil, which gets you some real precise adjustments if holdovers aren't your thing.  Illumination brightness is comparable between the two, but when the background is too bright or complicated, the SS again provides a better reticle as it's "perimeter" circle and posts are more bold & prominent than what the PST offers.  Different reticle? Yes.  Better reticle? Yes.  Worth an extra $300?  Depends!

My preference is primarily over the reticle's advantages.  The construction and durability has yet to be proven for either option discussed here.  So until someone wants to drop the coin on abusing several options ranging from $500-$2500....everything about these optic's durability is speculative at best.  Still, having owned and handled alot of scopes over the years, I think the SS's construction is right up there with scopes double it's price.  It's a solid optic.  I have a SS review thread on AR15.com, Snipershide, and Opticstalk.  Someone had recently dropped their scope onto a concrete bench and marred the objective.  It prompted some discussion so I contacted SWFA for some info on the tube's construction.  SWFA is raking in some details for us and will chime in soon.  I'm curious to know myself.  For perspective, Nightforce, SS, and Vortex all machine their scopes from solid bar stock 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum alloy.  Only construction stat that is interesting would be wall thickness.  

Anyway, I'm rambling.  No disrespect to the PST.  At all.  At $500, the Viper PST is a great scope.  If the reticle at 1X works well for you, then it's an incredible option.  Besides, one would never utilize holdovers and turrets below 4X anyway, so the SFP design is fine in that regard.  I also really like the PST's incorporation of fiber optics and ergonomics of it's occular/magnification adjustments.  The CRS shims are interesting, but they seem to work.  I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it - but I do find it interesting that Vortex has both a PST and Razor line in their 1-4.  Why is that?  The SS bridges the two with one option.  Not sure what that means, but it's an interesting talking point if one is to compare two brands.

These are just my 2 cents mind you.  Either way with either option, you'll have a fine low power variable optic for your AR.  What the recent inclusion of the SS and PST have done to the low power variable scene...is create a general purpose optic capable of both ranging and CQB.  Apples to apples, I just think the SS's magic happens at 1X, which in my view puts it ahead of the PST.  Performance at 1X is important, otherwise, why go with a 1-4 at all?

Still, we're fortunate in this industry to be able to choose from so many great options.  Have a great weekend all
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
no.....no reticle is worth $300 more and as for durability and clearity of glass etc., they are both top notch. You won't see any difference between the two but if you head on over to snipershide.com, you'll get some objective reviews of both. My honest opinion is go for the viper as they both are too comparable to compare with the most notible exception being the reticle. i personally like the reticle of the viper but the ss has a great one as well. No way is the ss worth paying 65% more just for a different reticle.....

I could not disagree more. You buy equipment for a functional application. The piece of equipment than best facilitates that function is clearly superior. I would choose the Vortex PST over the Trijicon TR24 because it has the better reticle design. For the same reason I choose the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD over the Vortex PST. I have timed and scored the SS against an Aimpoint at 25 to over 100 yards and the SS was better. I have shot it at 800 yards and scored very well on steel targets. I don't think I could do as well with the Vortex. I'm not slamming the Vortex, it would be my second choice ahead of a short dot or other high end scopes. But after trying both I prefer the SS 1-4 HD.

sig, I don't think your slamming it at all.  I merely can't believe that with the glass etc all comparable, the recticle is worth 60% more.  I'm lookiing at more from the standpoint of the op asking, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sig, I don't think your slamming it at all. I merely can't believe that with the glass etc all comparable, the recticle is worth 60% more. I'm lookiing at more from the standpoint of the op asking, is it worth it?
RUTGERS95, I hear you and I see your point. Is it worth it? Each buyer is going to have to make that decision for themselves. I bought a Vortex Viper, (not PST), 6.5-20X44 just to try the brand after reading so many good things about it. I also happen to own a Leupold VXIII 6.6-20X44 and spent time comparing them. I like the adjustments on the Leupold a little more than the Vortex. However, both have 30 mm tubes, both have excellent glass, both have a good reticle and both have an excellent warranty. The Vortex cost 60% of the Leupolds price. I have now used the Vortex on two Varmint hunts and am very pleased. I have bought my last Leupold Varmint scope. I feel the same way about the SWFA SS 3-9X42 comparing it to the NF 3.5-10. I get the same or better functionality for less money with the SS. That is why my M1A NM and LMT MWS both have a SS 3-9 on them. However, I think the 1-4x24 SWFA SS HD has better glass when looking past 500 yards and the reticle design is head and shoulder over any other 1-4 scope on the market. The FFP feature coupled with the big bold reticle design gives you, Functionally, a red dot and a mildot in the same package. Nothing else on the market does that as well as the SS design IMHO. Choose whatever rings your bell. For me it is the SS 1-4 HD for this application.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear you sig......

It's kinda funny as you go from cheap scopes where the difference in quality is so profound you'd need to be blind not to see it.  Then you go to the mid level quality where the comp is closer and it seems to be 1 or 2 things the decide the purchase.  Of course the high end is where the big cats really seperate themselves.  I actually agree with you on the nf vs ss comp in that magnification.  I recently saw these 2 scopes together and after spending some time with them, I like the ss line better.  I like the ss line very much and am considering one for my new 308.  the ss 3-9 glass etc is truly outstanding.

by the way, how do you like the lmt mws?  I am deciding on a few different 308 platforms and the lmt mws is one that I've narrowed down to......
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]

The LMT MWS is the best rifle purchase I have made in years. The only change I made is the stock. The SOPMOD is difficult to use in the prone postion so I went to an A2. The yellow target is five shots at 500 yards and measures about 3.75 inches. The white steel target is 300 yards rapid fire and the paper is 100 yards. The thing can shoot. I used it for the long range work when I reviewed the SS 1-4X24 HD, (see link).  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=520670&page=1#i4908659

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The LMT MWS is the best rifle purchase I have made in years. The only change I made is the stock. The SOPMOD is difficult to use in the prone postion so I went to an A2. The yellow target is five shots at 500 yards and measures about 3.75 inches. The white steel target is 300 yards rapid fire and the paper is 100 yards. The thing can shoot. I used it for the long range work when I reviewed the SS 1-4X24 HD, (see link).  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=520670&page=1#i4908659

<a href="http://img22.imageshack.us/i/lmt013.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/128/lmt013.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img21.imageshack.us/i/lmt004.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9544/lmt004.jpg</a>

Love that rifle!
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
outstanding.....I really like it
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

<a href="http://img22.imageshack.us/i/lmt013.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/128/lmt013.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img21.imageshack.us/i/lmt004.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9544/lmt004.jpg</a>

What kind of check riser, protector, thingy is that?  What weight does it add to the stock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 3:48:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The LMT MWS is the best rifle purchase I have made in years. The only change I made is the stock. The SOPMOD is difficult to use in the prone postion so I went to an A2. The yellow target is five shots at 500 yards and measures about 3.75 inches. The white steel target is 300 yards rapid fire and the paper is 100 yards. The thing can shoot. I used it for the long range work when I reviewed the SS 1-4X24 HD, (see link). http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=520670&page=1#i4908659

What kind of check riser, protector, thingy is that? What weight does it add to the stock?

It is a Blackhawk product, I think. I've had it a while. It has a zip pouch on the other side so weight depends on what you put in the pouch but the weight of the pad is minimal. I had to mount it as far back as possible to clear the charging handle and put a layer of foam under it to get it "just right".
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'd agree with 357sig.  The SS reticle is not only different, it's better.  The SS 1-4HD's reticle takes a little from the German #4, the NF FC-2, and your typical milled crosshair and rolls them into a single  FFP design.

At 1X the SS reticle is an entirely different FOV experience than at 4X.  The consistent black circle inside the thick posts and ghosted crosshairs are amazing.  At 4X, it's fine mil crosshair is well suited for precision.  Beyond that, the turrets are also 0.1 mil, which gets you some real precise adjustments if holdovers aren't your thing.  Illumination brightness is comparable between the two, but when the background is too bright or complicated, the SS again provides a better reticle as it's "perimeter" circle and posts are more bold & prominent than what the PST offers.  Different reticle? Yes.  Better reticle? Yes.  Worth an extra $300?  Depends!

My preference is primarily over the reticle's advantages.  The construction and durability has yet to be proven for either option discussed here.  So until someone wants to drop the coin on abusing several options ranging from $500-$2500....everything about these optic's durability is speculative at best.  Still, having owned and handled alot of scopes over the years, I think the SS's construction is right up there with scopes double it's price.  It's a solid optic.  I have a SS review thread on AR15.com, Snipershide, and Opticstalk.  Someone had recently dropped their scope onto a concrete bench and marred the objective.  It prompted some discussion so I contacted SWFA for some info on the tube's construction.  SWFA is raking in some details for us and will chime in soon.  I'm curious to know myself.  For perspective, Nightforce, SS, and Vortex all machine their scopes from solid bar stock 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum alloy.  Only construction stat that is interesting would be wall thickness.  

Anyway, I'm rambling.  No disrespect to the PST.  At all.  At $500, the Viper PST is a great scope.  If the reticle at 1X works well for you, then it's an incredible option.  Besides, one would never utilize holdovers and turrets below 4X anyway, so the SFP design is fine in that regard.  I also really like the PST's incorporation of fiber optics and ergonomics of it's occular/magnification adjustments.  The CRS shims are interesting, but they seem to work.  I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it - but I do find it interesting that Vortex has both a PST and Razor line in their 1-4.  Why is that?  The SS bridges the two with one option.  Not sure what that means, but it's an interesting talking point if one is to compare two brands.

These are just my 2 cents mind you.  Either way with either option, you'll have a fine low power variable optic for your AR.  What the recent inclusion of the SS and PST have done to the low power variable scene...is create a general purpose optic capable of both ranging and CQB.  Apples to apples, I just think the SS's magic happens at 1X, which in my view puts it ahead of the PST.  Performance at 1X is important, otherwise, why go with a 1-4 at all?

Still, we're fortunate in this industry to be able to choose from so many great options.  Have a great weekend all

Great analysis....I bought the Viper...just because of budget and I am mostly a paper puncher.  But for SHTF it will work.

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

but I do find it interesting that Vortex has both a PST and Razor line in their 1-4. Why is that? The SS bridges the two with one option. Not sure what that means, but it's an interesting talking point if one is to compare two brands.

Good point Hokie. Regarding overall quality and glass the SS 1-4 HD is more comparable to the Razor than the PST. However, while the Razor is FFP it lacks the boldness and brightness of the SS HD reticle design and it has 1/4 moa adjustments. In the Vortex line I prefer the reticle design of the PST and the fact that it is available with moa/moa or mil/mil reticle and adjustment combinations. But the PST still lacks the bold bright reticle design of the SWFA 1-4x24 SS HD. The features and design of the SS 1-4 HD set it apart from any other scope on the market IMHO and the quality is top shelf. It is a professional grade optic. Regardless of price I think it is the best optic on the market to provide a practical sighting solution from CQB range out to the effective range of the 5.56 cartridge. I'm not putting the Vortex down. If the SWFA SS 1-4 HD were not on the market I would be running the Vortex PST through it's paces. But in answer to the OP question, yes the SS 1-4 HD is woth the extra cost. The value is there.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top