Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2010 9:17:57 AM EDT
For CQB the “red dot” optic has been popular for years. For longer range the mildot reticule has been extremely popular and more recently having elevation and windage adjustments that match the mildot are in demand. For the past two weeks I have been shooting an optic that comes as close to putting the best of both types into a single package as any optic I have seen or know of. I’m posting this to share my experience with testing these scopes in the field. I’m not here to gore any bodies Ox. There are lots of good optics on the market and lots of thoughts as to what is best. I’m just sharing my experience with two I’m impressed with.

The scopes I’ve been using are prototypes of the SWFA SS 1-4 HD and it is the only optic I know of that excels and I do mean excels up close and at longer range in daylight or dim conditions.  I spent over twenty hours of range time and just short of 600 rounds of ammunition shooting silhouette targets from 10-yards out to 800-yards. I shot indoors under artificial light and outside in bright daylight, at dusk and on a foggy overcast day. I used both models on stock Colt AR15M4 and AR15A4 configurations and a LMT MWS with a 16” chrome lined barrel. In addition I watched one of our local SWAT Officers run both models on a H&K piston driven SBR in full auto, (wow, sweet, sweet rifle).  He told me he was impressed with the scopes. He was obviously a highly skilled shooter and in watching him I was impressed by his ability to hold his short bursts on center mass. I don’t know if he frequents this board but he is certainly welcome to chime in if he is inclined.
The "holy Grail" of tactical optics design for some time has been for an optic that is fast up close in all lighting and precise at the far edge of a weapons capability. Lots of time and money has been spent seeking this functionality. The Aimpoint and EOTech are great at close range and they both have magnifiers that can extend their useful range. They are great up close but how precise are they at ranges past 300 yards? How do you dial in? I owned a Trijicon TR24 for a while. Great optics, great glass, rugged and very well made. I loved it up close but at longer range that thick post that supports the bright triangle got in the way of holdovers. I own an ACOG and have used several models. Great optic. The hold over marks calibrated for specific ammo is a great innovation. The ACOG is a good example of a good design well executed, and tank rugged. I can use the Bindon system with my right eye and it works. But I would rather have 1X.  I'll take Aimpoint fast over Bindon fast at indoor ranges, no question. At longer range the hold over reticules are good but they don't offer the precision you can get with a mildot coupled with .2 mil elevation adjustments. I've played with the Leupold CQ/T and up close I really like it but at distance it leaves much to be desired. The pattern here is obvious. Most of the current offering excel at close range and compromise at long range or excel at long range and compromise up close.
I don’t know of another design on the market that combines the same quality of design and construction with the features of  the SWFA 1-4 HD scopes. These scopes are not “range toy quality” scopes. Rather they are professional grade optics. The turrets have just enough resistance to turning and adjust with a crisply felt click. The position indication marks on the turrets line up exactly with the line on the barrel they are mounted on. The clicks value is .2 mils and there are 10 mils of adjustment per rotation.
The most ingenious part of this design is the use of the front focal plane. We all know that the FFP is used to keep the mildot accurate at all magnifications for range estimation.  Well in this case forget that use of the FFP. With these scopes at 1X the mildots are useless for range estimation but the small circle, (or Tee depending on model) with what I call ghost crosshairs grabs your attention and centers your eye like a rear aperture sight.  Under 50-yards you center this circle or tee on target and fire. Past 50-yards, (I tested to 150-yards) you can use the ghost crosshair to take a millisecond longer and use it for more precise aiming, At distance you select 4X and, because of the FFP, the circle or tee becomes much larger and moves out of the way leaving a crisp mildot reticule which can be used for hold over or the .2 mil adjustments can be used. This is true in the illuminated or no illumination mode.
The popular term regarding illumination is daylight visible and I find it inadequate.  I prefer the term daylight practical. A reticule can be bright enough to be seen in the daylight but be so small or thin that you have to go looking for it. The situation only gets worse if the battery fails. For an optic to be daylight practical the reticule needs to be bright enough and bold enough to grab your attention. You should not have to go looking for it. It should also be bold enough to work if the batteries die.
Some examples are shown below. The top photo is the SWFA 1-4 HD and the lower is Leopold’s new $4,000.00 1-6X. Photos contrasting the SS 1-4 HD with the Night force and Short dot can be found at this link, just scroll down; http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_page16.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

Short range testing was done by placing IPSC cardboard targets at 25, 50, 100 and 150-yards. I gave a value of five points for A zone hits and three points for hit outside the A zone. I timed myself using a CED7000 timer. This was a very informal drill for my own information. I’m simply sharing what I found. I used three optics, an Aimpoint and both reticule styles of the SWFA SS 1-4 HD. The rifle was an M4 configuration Colt. I shot each target twice for a possible of 40 points per run. I used each optic for three runs each.
I fired the 25 and 50-yard targets off hand, the 100-yard kneeling and the 150-yard prone. All these scopes were about equally quick to put into use. My best time was 17.6 seconds with the Aimpoint, 18.4 seconds with the Farris wheel SS and 18.8 with the Tee SS. Scores were 29, 34 and 36 with the Aimpoint. The Farris wheel scored 38, 36 and 38 and the Tee scored 40, 38 and 38. Breaking it down, all three optics maxed the 25-yard targets all three times. At 50 yards I dropped one round outside the A zone but still on paper with all three optics during one round and maxed the other two rounds. At 100 yards with the Aimpoint I missed the paper with one round and got an A with the other one on the other targets I scored a 5 and 3 hit on both. With the SS 1-4 HD circle reticule I maxed all targets at 100 yards. With the SS 1-4 HD Tee at 100 yards I maxed two targets and scored a five and three on the other. At 150 yards I scored; two targets with two 3s and one target with a five and a three with the Aimpoint, all three targets score a five and a three with the circle reticule and the Tee reticule maxed out with all three targets getting two five point hits.

Medium range shooting with the M4 and A4 Colts was not too remarkable compared to the LMT MWS. I could consistently make hits on ¾ size steel IPSC targets out to 600 yards and averaged between 1 1/2-2 1/2 moa. I did miss a few. I did about as expected which is about as well as I can do with my ACOG, which is a TA50-4, (3X compact with amber crosshair). Accuracy was similar but I was able to adjust the poa much more accurately and quickly for different ranges with the SS. When the SS 1-4 HD is available I’ll be pulling the ACOG off of the A4 and the SWFA SS will go on. I’m not trashing ACOGs, they are tank tough, have great glass, people I respect swear by them and nobody I know swears at them. Trijicon is a great company. However, I like the close range capabilities of the SWFA SS 1-4 HD much better and coupled with the mildot reticule and the .2 mil, the SWFA SS 1-4 HD is just much more versatile. Ammo used was Hornady 75 grain practice ammo.  

The LMT MWS 7.62 is my pet DMR. As most of you know the British are issuing this rifle in Afghanistan, (with a different barrel) as a DMR. I’ve only owned this rifle for a few months but have managed to put over 1,800 rounds through it using the SWFA SS 3-9X42 HD scope and I truly respect the capabilities of both the rifle and the scope. Using the SWFA SS1-4 HD on this rifle allowed me to push the optics beyond my expectations.
At five hundred yards I shot the first five rounds at a steel IPSC target. I heard the first two shots hit steel but could not see the bullet splash. I figured I was just catching the edge so I moved my POA to the left, again I heard it but did not see it. On the forth round I noticed the hit on the bottom of the target. I fired the fifth round to verify and used the mildot and .2 mil turret to adjust my POI. I loaded five rounds and fired the first shot into the blue circle. I then quartered the 4-1/4 inch square “head” of the target and put the last four rounds into a 4-1/2 inch group. The first group hitting low concerned me. I thought I had the “come ups” memorized for this load and rifle so I checked my notes. Sure enough it was a shooter headspace problem, I misdialed a bit short. I could see so well at 500 yards that I skipped 600 yards and went to 700 yards. I put the first five rounds into a group measuring 7-1/2 inches switched scopes and zeroed it then shot a slightly larger group with the other scope. At 700 yards I could see the bullets strike but could not see individual marks unless they were out from the group. Next I tried 800 yards. It was late in the day and the light was fading and I had a 5 mph breeze intermittently from 9 o’clock. However, I did manage to get most of the ten shots on a 14” in diameter steel target and a steel IPSC target. At this range I could not see my bullet strikes. I could see the steel disc dance under the impact but not the strike. In better light maybe, but the sun was going down.  There are no bragging rights on the “groups” at 800 yards but it could be hit. I have shot the same rifle/ammo combination using the SWFA 3-9X42 scope at the same distance and gotten close to moa accuracy. Higher magnification does make a difference. Ammo used was a M118LR equivalent using a 175 SMK, LC brass, 43.1 grains of RL 15 and a Fed match primer loaded to a COL of 2.81”.

These are the rifles discussed in the text.

[img

This is the “close range” target set up. I replaced the blue steel target with another cardboard IPSC target because the small steel target messed up my scoring.

[img

Shown is the 500-yard target discussed.

[img

The 700-yard target shot with the “Tee” reticule.

[img

The same 700-yard target after shooting with the circule reticule. It was too cold to repaint the steel targets.

[img

800-yard target using the “Tee” reticule.

[img

800-yard target using the circle reticule.

[img

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I probably missed it, but any indication of target price for the new 1-4HD?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Tentative pricing is $799.00 for all four models. Each reticule will be available with exposed or capped turrets.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Do want

How's durability on the SS?  Do we know yet if these will have lifetime warranty?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the image parallax like at 1x?  Is both-eyes-open at CQB distances viable?  This is the make-or-break point on 1x-something variable scopes.

Would greatly prefer an illuminated dot in the center of the illuminated circle instead of illuminating the entire central crosshairs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do want  

How's durability on the SS?  Do we know yet if these will have lifetime warranty?

The SS HD scopes are the top of the SWFA line which is relatively new so time will tell. The two scopes I tested are professional grade optics are are frankly better optics than I usually buy. I would expect them to be very durable. I have two of the SS 3-9X42 scopes and have put a total of just over 3,000 rounds through the two rifles they are mounted on with no problems. As to warranty, you'll have to ask SWFA. I'm not sure what it is on the HD scopes.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the image parallax like at 1x?  Is both-eyes-open at CQB distances viable?  This is the make-or-break point on 1x-something variable scopes.

Would greatly prefer an illuminated dot in the center of the illuminated circle instead of illuminating the entire central crosshairs.

These scopes are true 1X optics and I used them with both eyes open in the 1X mode. They are not "red dot" scopes like an Aimpoint and they are not "parallax free" like an Aimpoint or EOTech. I had no problems with them at "red dot" ranges but if you are shooting from an odd position where you could not get a cheek weld the "red dot" sights would have an advantage. To me the other features off set this slight advantage. As to the dot I can see what you mean but I now prefer the "ghost" cross hair. You would have to try it to see if it would work for you.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Tentative pricing is $799.00 for all four models. Each reticule will be available with exposed or capped turrets.

That drops squarely in the "must contemplate greatly, before purchase" category.  @ $400-$499 it's an "instant buy".  I like the looks so far, and may consider one in the future.  Maybe I'll wait for the secondary market though.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have never owned a SS scope.  But, I have been shooting 50 cal rifles for 16 years.
The Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) has a technical discussion forum which I read frequently.

At times, shooters will try to scrimp on money and use a SS scope on a .50 BMG rifle.
The result was always the same, and disastrous. The shooter would eventually cough up the $2k+
to upgrade to something like a nightforce.

Admittedly, the .50 BMG can have a brutal recoil which is complicated by the muzzle brake.
There is both a backwards and forwards impulse.  A SS may last forever on a 5.56.
I'm just saying, that for the higher power scopes, the SS is not as mechanically strong
as some other brands.  A long warranty would be good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Comparing the SWFA HD line to the original is like comparing a Leupold VX1 to a MK4. Totally different scopes. The SWFA HD line are definitely not entry level optics. They are professional grade optics. However, I don't think I would put any 1-4 scope on a 50 cal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Has Chris mentioned any updates on these lately ? or is it still their ready when their ready ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has Chris mentioned any updates on these lately ? or is it still their ready when their ready ?

I don't have any insider information and have never talked to Chris, sorry. My gut says soon but my gut has been wrong before.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never owned a SS scope.  But, I have been shooting 50 cal rifles for 16 years.
The Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) has a technical discussion forum which I read frequently.

At times, shooters will try to scrimp on money and use a SS scope on a .50 BMG rifle.
The result was always the same, and disastrous. The shooter would eventually cough up the $2k+
to upgrade to something like a nightforce.

Admittedly, the .50 BMG can have a brutal recoil which is complicated by the muzzle brake.
There is both a backwards and forwards impulse.  A SS may last forever on a 5.56.
I'm just saying, that for the higher power scopes, the SS is not as mechanically strong
as some other brands.  A long warranty would be good.

Sorry it took so long to get back with information on the warranty. Below is a "cut" and "paste" responce from an email from SWFA.

All SS scopes have a Lifetime, No-Hassle, Transferable Warranty.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
anyone know if they do discounts for LEO ?

man that top scope sure looks like the ticket.  Clearing or perimeter, looks like a great planned out optic.  Really impressed in the thoughtfulness of the design.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm currently running a Burris XTR 1-4 (which I like a lot), curious to see how these would compare it
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sorry it took so long to get back with information on the warranty. Below is a "cut" and "paste" responce from an email from SWFA.

All SS scopes have a Lifetime, No-Hassle, Transferable Warranty.

Sweet... Thanks for the info
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top