Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
IMI Surplus 55 gr 5.56, simply because it shoots well in my guns, and I have been stockpiling it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
855.  If I am going to be using my AR for anything resembling protecting myself it will be at close range most likely which means a lot to the everywhere or it will be against vehicles and I want penetration uber alles.

I used it in combat.  I am comfortable with it.  It did everything I needed it to do.
View Quote
Thank you for serving and your input.  I'm glad to hear the pro M855 because I like to buy it some from some of the comments I've heard from BTDT guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
M193 for STF maybe. Has no one read the studies? There is a reason that M193 is not used by the military. It pokes holes and the bad guy will bleed out, but he can live a long time. M193 for long term storage, shtf, but not for home invasion or need bad guy dead now.

MK262 or the clones is loaded in all my go to mags. Currently IMI 77.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
M193 for STF maybe. Has no one read the studies? There is a reason that M193 is not used by the military. It pokes holes and the bad guy will bleed out, but he can live a long time. M193 for long term storage, shtf, but not for home invasion or need bad guy dead now.
View Quote
At in the home distances you are going to see pretty impressive performance from M193 just from the velocity of the round.  Many have read the studies or done their own and M193 frags pretty well if you can keep it moving over 2800fps.  So from even something like a 14.5 barrel you are going to see pretty good performance until you reach the range where the velocity drops to a certain point.

At any distance I'd take a shot in my area of North Central Texas be it deer or bad guy I'm going to be well within the velocity range for M193 to frag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
What studies are your referring to?  

And M855 too

goodthingtoread

Actually, since we're on this topic, any of you clock your M193 or M855 out of a 14.5" 14.7" barrel?   I forget what they're supposed to be doing.....  My memory is that out of a 14.5 barrel M193 is still going to be fragmenting well out to 100.  But I don't have a chrono and don't remember if there is a chart.   Probably Molon did a thing.  I'll have to go back through all of his links.

And FWIW, I've read a few BTDT people on here say M855 was used up to much further than what the studies show is the threshold for fragmentation and they still did their job.  Nothing scientific but anecdotal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If I can use whatever I damn well please I'd like some M995!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
When it comes down to it i'll use anything but what i have on hand it would be the 55 grain gold dot stuff psa was blowing out back in december
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

snip.
View Quote
That 10cm cavity neck stinks. A cavity neck should be an inch at worst. Look at this. All the tests have a shorter neck cavity. All the good modern SD ammo have better performance. Go cheap and stack deep. Sure for SHTF, but for an acute home invasion, I want the bad guy DRT.

Read Dr. Roberts, DocGKR at pistol-forums.com. Start with this.

edit: Does the US military use m193 for anything other than training?

edit: cleaned up my childish BS because this is not GD.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The military uses M855, and now M855A1.  With some MK262.  Obviously some do a better job than others.  You claimed M193 has in ice pick hole wound.  That is clearly not the case.  I believe Fackler worked on some of the stuff I referenced.  And is referenced in the ammo-oracle.  

There is no doubt there are better choices for self defense than M193.  There are a lot of people that have put a lot of work into that and can be seen here:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#mozTocId803443

But I believe you exaggerated your position and wasn't really factual.  So for the benefit of others, I'm disagreeing with this statement particularly:   It pokes holes and the bad guy will bleed out, but he can live a long time.

10 cm is less than 4".  Yes, it's not ideal, but most torsos will have more than 4" depth.  Plus that's if it doesn't hit bone.  And that's in gel.  I personally have no problems with M193.  I would even personally use it for home defense.  But I do usually have some heavier match bullet ammo on hand for that.

Plus the reason the military stopped using M193 and went to M855 wasn't due to it being a lousy stopper.  Which is why I referenced the little tidbit of text about it's wounding characteristics.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
for yaw dependent rounds like M193 and M855, the angle of attack when the bullet hits makes all the difference in neck length

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL. how is this not moved to GD? what a dick swinging topic. 193 and 855 are the worst rounds. didnt we all ready know this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
62g Fusion MSR
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 64gr Gold Dot, 62gr Fusion, 64gr Power Point, 75gr BTHP, 68gr BTHP, 62gr BTHP, 55gr SP, M855, and M193 all laid back in sufficient quantities to see me through just about anything.

My Oh Lawd stuff is the 64 GD though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#14]
64gr Gold Dots
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The yaw dependent neck length is precisely why I like the TMKs for soft targets.

The gel tests show that the poly tip aids in initiating fragmentation with very consistently short neck lengths (~1"), even better than Hornady TAP.

DocGKR's testing shows that even though standard SMK (eg. Mk262 and clones) produce somewhat better results than M193 or M855, it still suffers from variability due to yaw dependent neck length.

M193 and M855 are much cheaper to stockpile, and even Mk262 is cheaper than options like TMK or TAP, but if money was no object, I'd stockpile TMK and RA556B.

RA556B in my own testing chrono'ed higher than LE223T3, and is one of the top recommended barrier blind rounds, but like TMK, isn't cheap, or commonly available.

As for the contentious M193 and "live a long time" comment: when it comes  down to it, someone armed with a firearm remaining physically capable of still shooting at me and mine is an extremely undesirable condition. I prefer that whatever I use be consistently effective in incapacitating them as rapidly as possible.

Therein lies the issue with M193 and M855 (and even Mk262). Yes, there's anecdotal evidence of, "it does the job", but there's also plenty of anecdotal evidence of, "multiple holes found in corpse. Guy continued firing back for way too long despite being hit several times".

The inconsistent neck length means either/or can occur: with short neck length, hits put the target down rapidly/immediately, but with long neck length, the target may be able to continue being a threat, which is PRECISELY why DocGKR's data does NOT recommend relying on M193, M855 or even Mk262 for ideal SD ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I apologize for being childish in my prior post. This is not GD.

Let me be clear. I don't dislike M193. I have several cases and several mags loaded with it if I ever run out of the MK262 clones ammo. I just think there is better ammo for acute situations. CBC or IMI MK262 clones are affordable, not as affordable as m193. I keep a 2:1 ration of M193 to MK262. Mk262 clone mags on top.

Back on topic:

CBC and IMI are very affordable SD loads when bought in bulk. I saw on the ammo sale thread that someone has CBC 77gr OTM for $700 a case. Not the $300 a case for M193, but 77gr isn't for plinking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Another. 223 64gr Gold Dot user here.

But I would do my level best to avoid confrontation. Getting shot in a SHTF scenario ,even slightly wounded without medical care, would be a death sentence.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Like I said in my prior post.  I really think we over think this.  Look at it this way.  Let's say you engage a human size target at 75 yards (FBI statistics say the average distance for a gun battle in the US is 10-20ft),  yeah that close.  You hit the target center chest, which bullet it going to kill him more dead?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
For SPR and 16" carbines, IMI 77 grain OTM.
For SBR, 64 grain GD.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on barrel length, have you not read the studies?

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#mozTocId803443

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MK262/BH 77 OTM 5.56mm
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]
For HD and very special occasions I have RXM556T3, 62gr bonded SP.
Chrono'd it at over 2700 FPS out of my 10 1/2 " bbl.

Otherwise, lots and lots of M193.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Speer Gold Dot. When that runs out we will start working on the stash of M193.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd be "OK" with M193. But since much, much better options are available. I go with something else. I don't keep a huge stock of defensive minded 5.56/.223. But I do have a decent amount. I used MK262 for a  while. But I switched to mk318 last year. Not worried about any type of overpenetration here. So having a barrier blind load in the house is a plus.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
So much stupidity in this thread.

M855A1+77gr TMK loads from Stillwood.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
what stupidity? people posting what they like to use as ammo?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Trophy bonded 223
M855 and m855A1

I'll be Punching holes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Trophy bonded 223
M855 and m855A1

I'll be Punching holes.

Or .30 API from a sniper or BAR

We are well armed here

We are expecting armored things as robotic drones here in Mississippi.

M193 from a m16 for t shirt wearing savages,  tumble and roll
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no. i think what he's getting at is the m193/855 crowd. wonder if those guys use FJM ball ammo for their self defense loads in their CCW pistol too?

so much bravado on "any bullet will do" mentality. we should all know that isnt true.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

no. i think what he's getting at is the m193/855 crowd. wonder if those guys use FJM ball ammo for their self defense loads in their CCW pistol too?

so much bravado on "any bullet will do" mentality. we should all know that isnt true.
View Quote

You shot a lot of folks with FMJ who didn't die?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
An FMJ moving at 1000fps and one moving at 3250 is a totally different animal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IMI 77s
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except that the velocities are vastly different, which makes the mechanism of injury a bit different.  Especially when we're talking about a relatively lightweight bullet truckin' it at 3000+ fps compared to something like a 147grn 9mm bullet going 1000ish.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You shot a lot of folks with FMJ who didn't die?
View Quote
nope but read enough from people that have.

and isnt that why LE moved to soft point? and the military moved to 855A1?

what's the deal with you fmj guys? are you just to poor or uninformed to afford decent SD ammo and have to belittle anyone that doesnt share your justification?  

isnt the point of stopping a thread, to stop it as fast as possible? sure any bullet will kill you, given time without medical but why screw around when they could take a hit and return fire and hit you, then you are fucked.  get a bullet that works BETTER. concept.

i guess ignorance is bliss.

my job is done here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would be assuming you are shooting a 20" barreled rifle, which 99% of arfcomer's DO NOT.

and by looking at your pic, you're sure not getting 3250.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
that would be assuming you are shooting a 20" barreled rifle, which 99% of arfcomer's DO NOT.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M193 out of a 16in barrel is still moving at 2900-3000fps. Plenty fast enough for the round to perform properly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

what's the deal with you fmj guys? are you just to poor or uninformed to afford decent SD ammo and have to belittle anyone that doesnt share your justification?  

isnt the point of stopping a thread, to stop it as fast as possible? sure any bullet will kill you, given time without medical but why screw around when they could take a hit and return fire and hit you, then you are fucked.  get a bullet that works BETTER. concept.

my job is done here.
View Quote
Let me just requote Sylvan for effect.  Because my perspective is this should carry some weight in the matter.  More than most people's input.   I used it in combat. I am comfortable with it. It did everything I needed it to do. (speaking of M855)  It's only a page back.   Mirrors what I've read from others that have BTDT.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

my job is done here.
View Quote

the primary impetus for the move to 855A1 was to remove lead.  It was a green initiative first.  I think it is comparable to 855 in penetration.

LEO doesn't concern me, as the question wasn't directed towards LEO.  But I would say for the patrol carbine, maybe 70% of engagements will require shooting through things, primary sheet metal, which 855 was designed for.  If I was a cop, I would want 855 before mk 262 or JHP.  Maybe some of the bonded stuff, I don't know how it compares to 855 in barrier penetration.  

If you are interested in learning from people who HAVE shot someone, specifically with 855, multiple times, you could just stfu and read what I am saying.

bullet performance is 2%.  Bullet placement is 98%  And I can't place a bullet if it doesn't get there in the first place.

If your job is to not only demonstrate abject ignorance but also misplaced arrogance, your job is certainly done here.

now shush.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah cuz I don't have any 16" barreled rifles.

LC M193 in a 16" avg 3136 for me FYI

The gun in my avatar is a 10" 300blk with subs btw so yes its quite unlikely its hitting 3k+.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
M193 out of a 16in barrel is still moving at 2900-3000fps. Plenty fast enough for the round to perform properly.
View Quote
Even weak ass AE .223 55gr hits 2900 no problem lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
You mean exactly what you are doing?

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

To be fair, if it's happening, pretty much any flavor of 5.56 or .223 is going to kill a person at average gunfight distances. I honestly believe that we over think the issue of the best ammo.  
View Quote
This.

My preferred ammo will be the kind that goes bang everytime.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
so since civilians get to use whatever ammo they damn well please

what would you pack as your "sweet baby jesus the fan is covered in shit" ammo?

Ive been using just standard m193 and 855 since its usually cheap in bulk

but lets pretend that price isnt a factor and lets also pretend that m855a1 is still basically impossible to get.

What 5.56 or .223 load would you use?

I thought about 64gr speer since can stock up on a lot for $.50 a rd at palmetto, but then i was like...but its your go to ammo, why not spend double and go for mk262?
View Quote

Speer is superior to mk262, that stuff only costs more cuz it's an official military round and neck beards will gladly pay more for that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm with this guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M193 is all I use.

To be fair, if it's happening, pretty much any flavor of 5.56 or .223 is going to kill a person at average gunfight distances. I honestly believe that we over think the issue of the best ammo.  
I'm with this guy
Despite what I just said above, I also agree with this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#45]
My go to ammo for any situation is federal 5.56 TBBC. I have a few bags of Ranger bonded 5.56 too. After that it's whatever I grab which is M855/193.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Speer is superior to mk262, that stuff only costs more cuz it's an official military round and neck beards will gladly pay more for that.
View Quote
The only real advantage I can see with mk262 over the 64g GD would be long term storage and maybe a little better at range. Both of those are a maybe though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The only real advantage I can see with mk262 over the 64g GD would be long term storage and maybe a little better at range. Both of those are a maybe though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The part in bold and that it isn't barrier blind.

The heavy OTMs, like MK262, are great for longer distances. As my stash gets older I shoot it in matches. Almost as accurate as my hand loads. It gives me some flexibility. It is good in an SBR or a precision gun.

I personally don't want barrier blind. I know shot placement and all, but still I don't want barrier blind. Personal preference.

Quoted:

this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Curious why people so concerned with bullet performance stick with 5.56 for "oh shit" when you have 6.5G or 6.8 which are so much better
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Curious why people so concerned with bullet performance stick with 5.56 for "oh shit" when you have 6.5G or 6.8 which are so much better
View Quote
so much better at being heavier and harder to find.

sure theyre good rounds but their only main advantage i can think of besides ballistics is that they still fit into an ar15 over an ar10.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#50]
for those who think that yaw dependant rounds just ice pick when they don't fragment:

M855 and Mk262 @ 350m
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top