Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2016 10:06:36 AM EDT
I've shot Wolf Gold .223 for awhile now, never any issues in my 20 inch full lenght AR or 14.5 Carbine variant. I recently got a BCM 14.5 middy and I had numerous failure to extract issues. BCM replaced the BCG and my problem has been resolved. However, shooting around 300 rounds in two different shoots, I've had two failure to extracts during each range session.  Spent shell would be partially ejected with the new round stuck underneath. BCM recommends I shoot different ammo. Anyone else have any issues with Wolf Golf in a 14.5 middy ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Wolf Gold isn't known for being lightly loaded.  This is a full BCM upper? What buffer?

It sounds like you are getting an occasional short stroke.  BCM is known for small gas ports specifically cut to run on 5.56 pressure ammunition.  You could probably switch to a 5.56 pressure ammunition like M193 or open your gas port.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Full BCM upper and lower. The buffer is whatever comes stock in a BCM lower I am assuming.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
O-ring extractor upgrade, you need it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]

I would go ahead and check it for gas leaks. Carrier key should be tight, gas rings should hold the bolt tight enough it doesn't collapse under it's own weight.  I would make sure the ammunition is locking the carrier back every time at the end of the mag.  It's possible you just got a couple of light charges in the ammunition.

I would guess BCM is shipping with an H buffer.  You can check by looking at the front face of the buffer. In the middle it will have a stamping - H, H2, H3 or no stamping for a standard carbine buffer.

You can also check your ejector spring. While standing, hold the bcg with the face of the bolt towards the ceiling.  Take an empty piece of brass and hook it under the extractor.  Use the brass to compress the ejector until the empty case is straight in line with the bcg.  Then let the brass fly.  It should throw the empty five or six feet.  Anything shorter than 3ft and I would replace the ejector spring.  If the extractor looses it's grip on the case I would put an O ring on the extractor spring and try again.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This is a possibility.  A better description of the malfunction might help.  Is the empty case stovepiped to the side or is it above the new case?  Is the new case on the bolt face or is it under the bolt - being driven forward by the carrier - if this happens it should have two deep marks in the case from the bolt lugs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is a possibility.  A better description of the malfunction might help.  Is the empty case stovepiped to the side or is it above the new case?  Is the new case on the bolt face or is it under the bolt - being driven forward by the carrier - if this happens it should have two deep marks in the case from the bolt lugs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have pics but using my phone I can't post them now. The spent round would be partially ejected with the live round buried under it. The live round would be just fine but the spent shell casing would have a pretty crimped neck. The BCG is a new replacement from BCM, and I am going under the assumption that is is working properly... my original one would give me a FTE'S every single time on a hexmag and every few mags with a PMAG. My new BCG just twice every 150 rounds...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
BCM 14.5" LW middy upper w/Precision Armament AFAB, AIM nitride bcg. Only 40rds of Wolf Gold through it so far (new build) but those were 100%.
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
i wouldnt go opening the gas port just yet. how does xm193 or IMI 193 run? as i recall wolf gold was running abotu3100 from a 20" barrel in one report, which is a reduced load from full on 556 mil spec but WG isnt that either so....

and i would certainly put on o-ring under the extractor first and see if that helps. you should be able to find one at the hardware store that fits, i did.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have an O-ring and want one, IM me.  I'll put one in an envelope and mail it to you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to install an O ring that BCM also sent me. I also have Federal XM855 and 193 I can shoot as well and see what happens. 4 FTE's in 300 rounds is not alot that would hinder my shooting, but at the same time it is probably still 4 times too many...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Wolf gold is stout but not quite 5.56. Try some 5.56 for a while and then try the o ring. Maybe after a little break in the new upper will cycle with Wolf Gold... but maybe you'll find 5.56 is what the rifle really wants and if so at least you know now and not when it's failing in a HD situation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to install an O ring that BCM also sent me. I also have Federal XM855 and 193 I can shoot as well and see what happens. 4 FTE's in 300 rounds is not alot that would hinder my shooting, but at the same time it is probably still 4 times too many...
View Quote

You are in Good Hands here ...

4 FTE  is too many as 1 FTE  every other Mag is a stoppage and way too frequent for brass.

Lubed up OK?

That neck of the chamber clean from carbon ?

Good luck with that O-Ring from BCM.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Try a standard carbine buffer. The H is for milspec ammo. The 14.5 middy needs more ass to run the H buffer
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Would there be any downsize to putting in that O ring and trying it out ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Would there be any downsize to putting in that O ring and trying it out ?
View Quote

no

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The newer bcm bolts already come with an enhanced/stiff 5-coil extractor spring.

If this is what you have, I doubt you need the o-ring too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Here are the malfunction pictures:

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have a DD 14.5 mid that will cycle wolf poly/steel cased ammo just fine.  Any rifle that won't cycle steel cased wolf is defective IMHO, and Wolf gold should definitely work.

I vote for checking gas ring tension.  I had a gas ring break once and the rifle shortstroked infrequently.

View Quote
If you'll look at the pictures I posted above, you'll se that it's not a short stroke.  The bolt made it back far enough to eject the round each time, but the round appears to have been dropped by the extractor and left in the upper.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
It's hard to tell for certain from the pic, but it doesn't look like your bolt carrier assembly has enough lubrication.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a DD 14.5 mid that will cycle wolf poly/steel cased ammo just fine.  Any rifle that won't cycle steel cased wolf is defective IMHO, and Wolf gold should definitely work.

I vote for checking gas ring tension.  I had a gas ring break once and the rifle shortstroked infrequently.
View Quote

i'm not sure thats a fair statement. what about GI rifles with PROPER gas port sizes? i've seen  20" FN and  14.5 colt m4 barrels that didnt like that weak 223 shit and i wouldnt call those defective.

i would say rifles that cycles weak ammo well are not great shooters with mil spec ammo. a bit too much carrier speed for my liking.

as for gas rings, maybe but i'd look and make sure the gas key is tight too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, Crane O-ring should fix you right up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I didn't say all weak ammo, I specified Wolf poly coated steel ammo.  Tula ammo is outright garbage, and I'd be hesitant to run any kind of commercial reloads through my rifles.
View Quote

fair enough and i can see your point. i guess i can even admit that wolf poly is probably hotter than pmc 223.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's hard to tell for certain from the pic, but it doesn't look like your bolt carrier assembly has enough lubrication.
View Quote

The picture does make it look worse, but you comment does make me  think... When I got my new BCG, I had to fire almost 100 rounds each session before I had any of those FTE's. The old BCG was giving me FTE's left and right..  I've been using the SLIP 2000 ELW on this BCG. But it always seems after I'm done shooting and I'm cleaning my rifle, so much of the lube just seems to burn off while I'm shooting. I used to use these old Colt branded lube that was more of a paste. (Still have some.) That stuff never seemed to burn off like this SLIP 2000. Still going to install that O ring and see what happens. Looks like installing the O ring is going to make it a litter more of a pain putting the extractor back in the bolt...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#26]
This gun needs to be sent back to Bravo. I have that exact upper and it shoots Tula up through Mk262 like it's going out of style. Including 200+ of WG. You shouldn't need an O ring in a brand new BCM bolt as it should have the upgraded extractor spring already.

Stop wasting your money and time brother. Time to let the manufacturer get this squared away.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This gun needs to be sent back to Bravo. I have that exact upper and it shoots Tula up through Mk262 like it's going out of style. Including 200+ of WG. You shouldn't need an O ring in a brand new BCM bolt as it should have the upgraded extractor spring already.

Stop wasting your money and time brother. Time to let the manufacturer get this squared away.
View Quote

In my last email from BCM they told me it was almost certainly an ammunition issue as I was shooting poor quality ammo. I asked for some clarification as I thought matbe my email was misread and thought I said steel wolf ammo. And unfortunately, as I have been experiencing with them the email went unanswered, as did the other question I had in the email...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Yea they don't have there best track record for responding to emails. You might ask to have this moved to their industry forum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In my last email from BCM they told me it was almost certainly an ammunition issue as I was   shooting poor quality ammo. I asked for some clarification as I thought matbe my email was misread and thought I said steel wolf ammo. And unfortunately, as I have been experiencing with them the email went unanswered, as did the other question I had in the email...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my last email from BCM they told me it was almost certainly an ammunition issue as I was   shooting poor quality ammo. I asked for some clarification as I thought matbe my email was misread and thought I said steel wolf ammo. And unfortunately, as I have been experiencing with them the email went unanswered, as did the other question I had in the email...

that's a bullshit answer from BCM. wolf gold is not low quality. they are on my list of questionable companies anyway after i took apart a 20" GI upper and the barrel nut was so over torqued i kept breaking barrel nut prongs and i had to use a 15" pipe wrench on it, to get it off. of course it destroyed the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#30]
They never did reply back to my last email either. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They never did reply back to my last email either. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting...
View Quote

have you checked the health of the EJECTOR pin spring? not the extractor, the ejector. pull the carrier out and put a round under the extractor claw and see it it was to fling out. i had a ejector spring fail years ago on a bolt that wasnt all the used.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
How frustrating...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally shot my BCM rifle again. I shot 100 some odd rounds of American Eagle M855 with zero issues. I also put some extra lube on the BCG, as I noticed the lube was always burning off on my previous shoots. And for one or both of those reasons, the rifle finally shot perfect :)
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Finally shot my BCM rifle again. I shot 100 some odd rounds of American Eagle M855 with zero issues. I also put some extra lube on the BCG, as I noticed the lube was always burning off on my previous shoots. And for one or both of those reasons, the rifle finally shot perfect :)
View Quote

even with wolf gold?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

even with wolf gold?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even with wolf gold?

Only shot one mag of Wolf Gold, but it did function flawlessly
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got similar issues with my suppressed DD MK18 upper. It runs IMI M193 or Federal XM193 no problem, however swap to wolf golf and it's all kinds of trouble. Spent case actually gets stuck in the chamber and the extractor rips the rim off. Happens without fail, swap back to M193 and the rifle runs like a top.

My colt 6920 however runs the wolf gold without any trouble. I just make a point to shoot the wolf gold in the colt and only use M193 in the MK18.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Hmm. Might be a pressure curve issue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah zero issues using this ammo in my 11.5  BCM KMR pistol. Have not had any problems with it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top